Unable to install packages

Hi. First of all great work by you guys. All has been running well until now. I've just installed a HD Fox T2 and wish to link to my HDR Fox T2. I've followed the instructions under the Foxlink heading, but I've now discovered that I can't install the nfs-utils package on the HDR, in fact I can't install any packages or upgrades This is the report received:

>>> opkg install nfs-utils
wget: can't connect to remote host (89.248.55.76): Network is unreachable
Installing nfs-utils (1.2.3-2) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/nfs-utils_1.2.3-2_mipsel.opk.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/nfs-utils_1.2.3-2_mipsel.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download nfs-utils. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package nfs-utils.

Running CF 2.15 and HF 1.02.32, other box functions appear ok and internet connection is fine.

Any thoughts. Thanks

The nfs-utils file above is available for download, so possible areas to look are :-
1) Your Humax can't contact the download site for some reason
2) Your Hard disk drive is not allowing a file to be written to it for some reason

Can you record a new TV program to the hard disk and play it back? - it may have gone read only

If you have Telnet access to your Humax you can try out a few command lines :-

touch /mod/dummyfile.txt
to prove /mod/ is not read only

opkg list-installed
to check what is currently installed e.g. nfs-utils etc.

opkg install nfs-utils
attempt to download and install ntf-utils

With the above commands, look for error messages after executing each line.
It may also be worth doing a fix-disk (options 1 + 1) to as a health check for your hard disk

Hi. First of all great work by you guys. All has been running well until now. I've just installed a HD Fox T2 and wish to link to my HDR Fox T2. I've followed the instructions under the Foxlink heading, but I've now discovered that I can't install the nfs-utils package on the HDR, in fact I can't install any packages or upgrades

I'm not sure whether you are already aware of this but, if you are only intending to use the HD to watch recordings on the HDR you do not need to set up Foxlink. As standard, the HD will allow you to watch HDR recordings just by turning on sharing on the HDR.
For HiDef recordings you will need to run auto_unprotect on the HDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi. First of all great work by you guys. All has been running well until now. I've just installed a HD Fox T2 and wish to link to my HDR Fox T2. I've followed the instructions under the Foxlink heading, but I've now discovered that I can't install the nfs-utils package on the HDR, in fact I can't install any packages or upgrades This is the report received:

>>> opkg install nfs-utils
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/nfs-utils_1.2.3-2_mipsel.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download nfs-utils. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?

Running CF 2.15 and HF 1.02.32, other box functions appear ok and internet connection is fine.

Any thoughts. Thanks

Have you got a suitable drive connected to host the firmware packages? If you do, you could be using the web installer and not be mucking about on the command line. See post 2 in the Quick Start Guide, and read in particular the comments regarding HD-FOX.

I'm not sure whether you are already aware of this but, if you are only intending to use the HD to watch recordings on the HDR you do not need to set up Foxlink. As standard, the HD will allow you to watch HDR recordings just by turning on sharing on the HDR.
For HiDef recordings you will need to run auto_unprotect on the HDR.
I'm not sure whether you are already aware of this, but you don't need to run auto-unprotect to watch HD recordings from the HDR box via the HD box.

I'm not sure whether you are already aware of this, but you don't need to run auto-unprotect to watch HD recordings from the HDR box via the HD box.

Mia culpa. I did know but had forgotten.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's pretty obvious what "wget: can't connect to remote host (89.248.55.76): Network is unreachable" means isn't it?
Why are you going on about problems with the disk?
You should be looking at Nslookup, Traceroute, Ping etc. to hummypkg.org.uk

Very simple: Who uses the command line when the WebIF is available? WebIF not available = no external drive. No external drive = no packages. No external drive =? unknown behaviour & potentially misleading error messages.

Establish the foundations before poking around in the attic.

Sherlock Holmes (failed)

Have you got a suitable drive connected to host the firmware packages? If you do, you could be using the web installer and not be mucking about on the command line. See post 2 in the Quick Start Guide, and read in particular the comments regarding HD-FOX.
GreaseNipple : I can't install the nfs-utils package on the HDR, in fact I can't install any packages or upgrades
Although the OP has both HD-Fox T2 and HDR-Fox T2, he is saying he can't install packages on the HDR not the HD, so he doesn't need a
suitable drive connected

Fair enough, my bad, and I now realise the quoted messages are output from the WebIF package installer (not the command line as I first supposed). The principles remain valid, and there does need to be a suitable drive on the HD!

Whether that's the HD or the HDR he's having trouble with, I'm inclined to think it was a temporary server problem.

If you have Telnet access to your Humax you can try out a few command lines :-

touch /mod/dummyfile.txt
to prove /mod/ is not read only

opkg list-installed
to check what is currently installed e.g. nfs-utils etc.

opkg install nfs-utils
attempt to download and install ntf-utils

With the above commands, look for error messages after executing each line.
It may also be worth doing a fix-disk (options 1 + 1) to as a health check for your hard disk

Thanks for the help so far, here is the result of your suggestions although I have yet to run fix-disk.

Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.02.32/2.15

To return to the menu, type: exit

humax# touch/mod/dummyfile.txt

/bin/sh: touch/mod/dummyfile.txt: not found

humax# opkg list-installed

anacron - 2.3-1

auto-unprotect - 1.0.8

busybox - 1.20.2-1

bzip2 - 1.0.4

cron-daemon - 1.18.3-1

epg - 1.0.9-1

ffmpeg - 0.10

file - 5.0.4

hmt - 1.1.11

id3v2 - 0.1.11-1

inotify-tools - 3.14

ir - 1.02

jim - 0.73-1

jim-binary - 0.73

jim-cgi - 0.5

jim-oo - 0.71

jim-sqlite3 - 0.73-1

lamemp3 - 3.98.4

lsof - 4.82

mongoose - 3.0-7

multienv - 1.5

ncurses - 5.9

nicesplice - 1.4

ntfs-3g - 2011.4.12-3

ntfsprogs - 2011.4.12

openssl-command - 1.0.0.d

procps - 3.2.8-3

rsvsync - 1.0.3

service-control - 1.2

smartmontools - 5.41

sqlite3 - 3.7.6

ssmtp - 2.64

stripts - 1.1.2

sysmon - 1.0.9

tmenu - 1.04

trm - 1.1

webif - 0.10.2-2

webif-channelicons - 1.0.4

webif-charts - 1.2

humax# opkg install nfs-utils

Collected errors:

humax#

GreaseNipple : O.K. the touch /mod/dummyfile.txt needs a space after 'touch' so this is why it didn't work. The opkg list-installed shows that you don't presently have nfs-utils installed and the command line opkg install nfs-utils failed as it did before.

I would try the ping below to see if your humax can get a reply from the download site :-

Code:
humax# ping 89.248.55.76
PING 89.248.55.76 (89.248.55.76): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=0 ttl=244 time=33.055 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=1 ttl=244 time=32.988 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=2 ttl=244 time=33.735 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=3 ttl=244 time=32.991 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=4 ttl=244 time=33.390 ms
[CTRL + C to Exit]

Try
touch /mod/dummyfile.txt (with a space after touch)

The fix-disk suggestion was to fix a possible problem with the hard disk being read only, this should not result in a message like 'wget: can't connect to remote host (89.248.55.76): Network is unreachable' but error messages can sometimes be misleading

Here are the results of both commands
Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.02.32/2.15
To return to the menu, type: exit

humax# touch /mod/dummyfile.txt

humax# ping 89.248.55.76
PING 89.248.55.76 (89.248.55.76): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
humax#

Back