Unable to mount Windows shared folders after update

MikeAndSal

Like a few people, I didn't protect myself against the OTA update on Thursday and lost the custom firmware. I've since re-installed the latest 2.22 CF and my webif and telnet access are back.

But, no I can longer access my Windows shared folders. I had a few shared folders mounted - following the guidance here -mounting-drives-using-cifs.590

Everything has been working perfectly up until the OTA wiped out the CF. However, now when I try to mount the shared folders I get a "No such device or address" error message.

Nothing has changed on the server itself (and I've tried different other machines on my home network). The script used to automatically mount the drives on bootup hasn't changed - only the firmware has changed.

I've tried a while host of things, downgrading the CF, switching off firewalls, connecting too different shares on different machines - no luck. Googling the problem results in, mainly, suggestions that the share name and user credentials are correct. (Which they are, it's been working for months up until the OTA),

So, turning to you guys for some help here. FYI, the command used to mount the shared drives is:

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2/Movies "/media/My Video/Movies" -o username=Mike,password=****

Any help greatly appreciated.

Try the following:
Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2/Movies "/media/My Video/Movies" -o username=Mike,password=****,unc=\\\\192.168.1.2\\Movies

Have you reinstalled the Samba package? I know it's definitely required to access the Humax as a server on a Windows PC, but may be needed the other way round too (Humax as the client)?

Have you reinstalled the Samba package? I know it's definitely required to access the Humax as a server on a Windows PC, but may be needed the other way round too (Humax as the client)?

Previously the CIFS package was installed but the Samba package wasn't. (After reinstalling the CF all the previously installed packages were still there.) However, I installed Samba but it made no difference.

I'm not much a of a linux person I'm afraid. Anyone know of any diagnostic packages I would use to debug ?

I'm close to do a factory reset and starting again from scratch, but that seems like a drastic option with no guarantee that it'll sort the problem. :-(

Try:
Code:
humax# smbclient -L 192.168.1.2

OK. I get this:

Code:
added interface ip=192.168.1.15 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to 192.168.1.2 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
humax#

OK. I get this:

Code:
session request to 192.168.1.2 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
humax#

Which implies that 192.168.1.2 is not available, but I can ping it.

Code:
humax# ping 192.168.1.2
PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.2: seq=0 ttl=128 time=1.901 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.2: seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.961 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.2: seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.997 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.2: seq=3 ttl=128 time=1.207 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.2: seq=4 ttl=128 time=0.819 ms

--- 192.168.1.2 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.819/1.177/1.901 ms
What is the smbclient command telling us?

What does "net share" tell you at a Command Prompt on the Windows box?
Is the Server service running? Has it become firewalled somehow?
Can you access it from anything else?

Actually, Windows is a funny beast and you need some more parameters e.g.
Code:
humax# smbclient -L machinename -I 192.168.1.2 -U username
where machinename is the Netbios name of your Windows machine and username is the user to logon as.

What does "net share" tell you at a Command Prompt on the Windows box?
Is the Server service running? Has it become firewalled somehow?
Can you access it from anything else?

Net share gives me the list of the shares available and, yes, I can access those shares from other Windows devices (and Android devices for that matter).

Actually, Windows is a funny beast and you need some more parameters e.g.
Code:
humax# smbclient -L machinename -I 192.168.1.2 -U username
where machinename is the Netbios name of your Windows machine and username is the user to logon as.

Here's what I get this time.

Code:
humax# smbclient -L diningroompc -I 192.168.1.2 -U mike
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 8.1 9600] Server=[Windows 8.1 6.3]

Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DININGROOMPC
        HUMAX                Samba HDR-Fox-T2
        MIKE-LAPPY
        STUDYPC

Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            DININGROOMPC
humax#

I guess the error "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED" is telling us that it can't read the list of available shared folders ?

Previously the CIFS package was installed but the Samba package wasn't. (After reinstalling the CF all the previously installed packages were still there.) However, I installed Samba but it made no difference.
Samba provides an SMB share to the network, CIFS accesses other SMB shares on the network.

SOLVED! (For me at least). No idea why it failed in the first place, but by changing from this:
Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2/Movies "/media/My Video/Movies" -o username=Mike,password=****
to this:
Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2\\Movies "/media/My Video/Movies" -o username=Mike,password=****

fixed the problem. Windows shares are mounting as expected. It's a mystery to me as to why the OTA firmware upgrade stopped the former command from working.

Back