Unable to pause live tv

SteveBT

Hi,
We have a Humax HDR-1000s running UKSFAA 3.00.44. Everything was working ok until recently... now we're unable to pause live tv or record any programs.

When we try to pause live tv we get a message saying "the function does not work while retrieving data from the time shift buffer" (see attached image). Recording just don't work, no error message that I'm aware of.

If the internal HDD drive has gone I do have a Toshiba 2TB HDWA120 drive that I could use - is it compatible and is it an easy swap out?

The box is no longer under warranty.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_20160913_142234b.jpg
    IMG_20160913_142234b.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 28
Hi,
I've tried that a few times over the last few days. I also tried a factory reset (or factory default as I think it appears in the menu). Still no joy.

Thanks, Steve.

I don't know the user interface, but I assume there is a format option on a storage menu somewhere.

On HDR-FOX it's Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage.

Just to say that we are having exactly the same problem on our HDR1010S ever since we updated to 3.00.44.

It's been pretty awful to use ever since so I hope they release new software very soon.

Settings - System Setting - Storage - HDD - Start Disk Format. Problem is corrupted time shift buffer file. Unlike the Foxsat-HDR only way to fix is format the drive, which of course deletes all your recordings.

Thanks Graham - will give that a try, my wife will not be amused!

It's an intermittent problem and has definitely happened since the last software update.

Tim

Thanks Graham - will give that a try, my wife will not be amused!

It's an intermittent problem and has definitely happened since the last software update.

Tim

Reckon it's a coincidence. No issues with my box. It has been reported on virtually all software versions since the original HDR1000S was launched. The box is so locked down you can't get into the file system to resolve it. On a Foxsat-HDR which sometimes has the same issue all you have to do is use the custom firmware to rename the existing time shift buffer file (0.ts) to force the box to recreate the file on a different area of the hard disk.

Hi Graham, I have this exact problem on my HDR 1000S, so could you please tell me how to use the firmware, i.e. how to access it, then how to perform the renaming of the time shift buffer file? Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Graham, I have this exact problem on my HDR 1000S, so could you please tell me how to use the firmware, i.e. how to access it, then how to perform the renaming of the time shift buffer file? Thank you.

There is no custom firmware for the HDR1000S. Only known solution is a disk format which will of course delete your recordings.

I have read all of the above, and hope that this thread is still alive!
My problem with pause and rewind - which results in the "time shift buffer" message - is that it is intermittent. Sometimes all is OK and sometimes not. I have both reset to factory settings and formatted the disc - neither works for me on a constant basis and they are both a real pain to recover from! I am at my wits end. Please help!

My problem with pause and rewind - which results in the "time shift buffer" message - is that it is intermittent. Sometimes all is OK and sometimes not. I have both reset to factory settings and formatted the disc - neither works for me on a constant basis and they are both a real pain to recover from! I am at my wits end. Please help!

I reckon your hard disk is on it's last legs. Mine failed on a HDR-1000S after approx 4yrs used approx 16hrs/day. I would stick in a new one. This is the one I used,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST...2&sr=8-5&keywords=seagate+pipeline+hard+drive

On a HDR-1000S the case screws are under the stick on feet.

Hi ajm600
Have had my Humax HDR-1100s about 6 months now and just last couple of days had the same problem with the time shift buffer message, had a check around the settings area from the home button, and found that ( Home/Settings/General setting/Recording ) there was an option there that said Recording buffer and you could change it with the OK button to OFF or ON, mine was showing off, so when I changed it Hey Presto checked and it was working fine then, so please give it a try you never know.

Tarmac2

Txs Tarmac. The pause was not working since last night. I did as you suggested and checked the settings. My recording buffer was ON. I changed it to OFF - no joy. So I changed it back to ON and, hey presto, the pause worked! Coincidence? Who knows?
What on earth is going on!?
Hi ajm600
Have had my Humax HDR-1100s about 6 months now and just last couple of days had the same problem with the time shift buffer message, had a check around the settings area from the home button, and found that ( Home/Settings/General setting/Recording ) there was an option there that said Recording buffer and you could change it with the OK button to OFF or ON, mine was showing off, so when I changed it Hey Presto checked and it was working fine then, so please give it a try you never know.

Tarmac2

What on earth is going on!?

You (in effect) rebooted that function. I can't say for sure, but anything "software" these days is multi-processing, which means different tasks operate almost as if a completely separate subsystem. That particular task had crashed or was frozen through some fault condition, and by terminating and then restarting that task you cleared the problem.

You (in effect) rebooted that function. I can't say for sure, but anything "software" these days is multi-processing, which means different tasks operate almost as if a completely separate subsystem. That particular task had crashed or was frozen through some fault condition, and by terminating and then restarting that task you cleared the problem.
Thanks for your comment. I can only hope that you are right. Time will tell.
In any case, I had an additional problem (didn't want to overload my original query) whereby my single LNB, split to my Freesat TV and the Humax was showing a bad signal to either one or the other depending on which aerial was in which socket. Now both, miraculously, are on freesat and I can finally watch one programme and watch another.
Now if only I can find something worth watching....

Worth it just for the feedback from this great forum.

You should only find the 'other channels' on the same band and polarisation as the first.
The problem with what you have done is that both boxes will try to control the LNB band/pol which will invariable screw up.
That's probably why you had the 'bad signal' problem in the first place. Each sat box/TV needs its own separate input(s) from the LNB so that they can separately control the band/pol of the LNB output to which they are connected.
Get a new LNB and cabling to suit your requirements. A quad output LNB and up to 4 feed cables to feed up to 4 sat tuners would probably do you (recorders usually have two sat inputs and TVs usually one (unless you go for a twin sat tuner TV) to allow you to record one channel and view any other channel.

Back