Unable to Re-install webif.

Looks fine to me. Only thing I notice is that maximum temperature is getting quite high. Do you use the fan package?

I do use the fan package, but it was one of the packages I had to re-install this morning. It may have been not working before this latest issue.

I suspect fixweb knows nothing about the beta repository.
It doesn't care. It just runs "opkg" commands. If the config. for that is problemmatic, then it will fail.
It would seem sensible to do the following:
Code:
opkg update
opkg install opkg-beta
opkg update
opkg install webif
Trying to install base Webif (from the GUI or otherwise) when you have a broken beta config. is not going to work. As far as I can tell, this is the only thing going on here.
If people don't understand how to fix the beta environment if/when it goes wrong, then they probably shouldn't be running it.
I wonder if a future version needs some sort of flag for beta before calling the download.
It's called the user, installing the right thing before doing so.
I do use the fan package, but it was one of the packages I had to re-install this morning.
If that one's broken, then the others probably are. Run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic.

If people don't understand how to fix the beta environment if/when it goes wrong, then they probably shouldn't be running it.
Then it needs a tutorial pinned in the beta section of the forum. I'm not sure there's ever been any discussion along those lines.

Surely beta testing is the first round of testing by users without programming expertise.

In a former life as Project Accountant my role was to test software myself or overseeing other users and liaise with programmers to implement any necessary changes.

Following a "not seen for" email from RS, I found I have the same problem on another one of my boxes this morning.

I ran a modified version of post #2 by @MymsMan.
Code:
HDR3# cd /mod/tmp                                                                                                                                                      
HDR3# get -U '' http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/beta/webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                                  
--2021-05-08 11:12:47--  http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/beta/webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                        
Resolving hpkg.tv... 2a00:5600:1600::50, 89.248.55.75                                                                                                                  
Connecting to hpkg.tv|2a00:5600:1600::50|:80... failed: Address family not supported by protocol.                                                                      
Connecting to hpkg.tv|89.248.55.75|:80... connected.                                                                                                                  
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK                                                                                                                        
Length: 2935316 (2.8M) [application/octet-stream]                                                                                                                      
Saving to: 'webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk.3'                                                                                                                                

webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk.3                100%[=====================================================================================>]   2.80M  4.62MB/s    in 0.6s    

2021-05-08 11:12:47 (4.62 MB/s) - 'webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk.3' saved [2935316/2935316]                                                                                

HDR3# opkg  --force-depends install webif_1.4.9-6_mipsel.opk                                                                                                          
Installing webif (1.4.9-6) to root...                                                                                                                                  
Configuring webif.                                                                                                                                                    
SMART: (PASSED)                                                                                                                                                        
startstop: 8617 realloc: 0 hours: 24550 spinretry: 0 pending: 0 offline: 0                                                                                            
Queue database is up-to-date.                                                                                                                                          
HDR3# reboot

and got it working again.

I could immediately see from the home screen that IR was missing and ran fix-flash-packages. This was a mistake as it resulted in all the webif screens showing as lists with hyperinks. A reboot took me back to square one.

After running the code again I went straight to the package list and installed packages I knew should be there. These included opkg-beta. I then rebooted and reviewed the package list again to include the beta packages.

I can now see where I initially went wrong and, the logical sequence needed to get out of this.

However, it leaves the question as to why this has happened on two different boxes in less than a week?

It was suggested that HDD issues may be behind it, and I will run fixdisk again, but it was only last run on Monday, so I am unconvinced about this as a cause.

Last edited:
Back