Unable to reach Humax TV Portal

Oh yes and the error message is, since it's doing it now from within the iPlayer.

"Something went wrong displaying the programmes. This is usually a temporary problem. Please try a different section. 01100"

I can't try a cold boot at this time due to I'm recording something on ITV in the background. So no, it's not working too well at the minute.

It's also slower than the other one and has a spongey feel to it. Bit like those EPG complaints.

How about the 'new portal' package, I thought I read in a recent post that this bypasses the Humax server. I'll give it a try.

"Something went wrong displaying the programmes. This is usually a temporary problem. Please try a different section. 01100"
I got that message and then immediately deleted cookies and had anther go and it was then fine. SOo either it was indeed a temporary problem or deleting cookies did it for me.

Nope, the new portal also give version 4. The downloading still works on V4 but there is no on screen download progress. When you move from one tile to another they resize with a bit of a lag a horrible lag so, as Tell said, it feels spongy. Not liking it so far. Is it possible to bypass the Humax server and get V3 back?

Last edited:
Partner informed me that it is an improvement since it gives greater programme information. You don't need to play the programme to get the programme information.
What I find irritating is that it no longer states how long a programme will be available. On the final day (24 hours?) it states 'last chance' but that is it as far as availability goes.
I can see my self being tempted to download programmes just in case they disappear by the time I get round to watching them.

hmmm my error message did clear itself in the 45 minutes or so that it first put it up without a cold boot. I did Google it and nobody appears to be reporting that message yet as far as I could see.

Is that a new new portal... I must check. So yes, Luke and Monty, teething problems. I can't see why the BBC didn't leave it alone unless it does something else that we haven't found yet like play all the iPlayer content from say the "collection" series.

I see I-Player Ver.4 has better transport settings e.g. X1 X2 X4 all the way up to X128 for forward and reverse (Click on images below)

iplayer-v4-1.JPG iplayer-v4-2.JPG

I can't see why the BBC didn't leave it alone unless it does something else that we haven't found yet
The BBC site has a list of about 10 reasons for the user interface changes. Each item on their list is readily identifiable when using the new version but the one I find most obvious is that it is far more friendly to browse around on a rainy Sunday afternoon when it is not being used for purely catch-up of something specific.
What was not listed was the play back control has improved. The replay and skip is no longer set at 10% of the file length, and I can now use the rewind and fast forward easily (did it have that on the old version?).

I've been using this version as my main iPlayer TV viewer on a 200oT for a few weeks mainly because of the replay/skip/FF/RW changes but also because it is easier to identify new programmes that have been added to any of my favourites. Using the old v3 iPlayer I'm not sure that I would have identified that one entry in my favourites was having episodes added 1 week before they are broadcast.
One of the negatives the BBC pointed out was that the new favourites cannot hold as many entries as the old one. I don't think that this will be a problem for me as they have resolved this by removing the radio programmes and their favourites I no longer have many favourites left.

I have found that the new I-Player Ver.4 transport controls can cause a problem if you intend to "Save the Last Streamed Content", if you just play the programme from the beginning (with no transport controls) the file grows steadily as expected, however if you press fast forward (as in picture 2 of #27 above), when the pointer gets to the end of the programme, the file size jumps from it's current size to the finished size instantly, in my case in jumped from about 500 MiB to 1920MiB instantly, because of this, the Browse Media Files >> Save the Last Streamed Content icon stops displaying the word 'growing', so it looks like the programme has finished downloading when it hasn't

I found that fiddling with transport while grabbing a stream always did corrupt it. There is no choice but to let it play (pausing has no deleterious effect) until the buffer is complete.

No.... I realised that it wasn't good to skip with the old one. Just let it grow. Fast forward is a skip rather than play what's been downloaded so your download file is a series of skips ?.

I hope it is just teething problems, but the main window on new version of iPlayer on the HDR-FOX seems to resize or move slightly just after opening. The small tiles also resize when selected; this is intentional behaviour but is much slower and more jerky than on my Samsung TV. The upshot of this is an irritating user experience. Also on scrolling across multiple tiles it gets stuck briefly then skips a few tiles rapidly. Hope this is not as good as it is going to get.

Quite. You either have to be a youngster with gaming quickness to read what's going on or it's terribly slow. Perhaps the HD box didn't have the power to cope with moving the graphics which is why its unsupported. Have you tried it with BootHDR (mine is now packed away so can't test) - I expect it will be that more painful.

I can't say as yet that the improvements outway version 3. But if it's a question of no iPlayer against this version as 3 may be turned off in time better than nothing. In the old days of computing you left the debugger code in then took it out once developed for speed. I can't believe that they would ship it running sub optimally but perhaps they did. I'm sure processor speeds of Samsung TVs will be discussed against the Humax HDR. Is the processor so out of date that it can't keep up with other implementations ?.

Had another look. When iPlayer first appears on the HDR-FOX it is slightly off screen to the left. So the picture shifts to the right after a couple of seconds. When you navigate to a new tile it grows slightly and is highlighted in pink: on my two year old low to mid range Samsung LED TV this resizing is smooth. On the Humax it seems to resize the tile in about three steps: growing slightly too large and finally settling on an intermediate size. This happens slowly enough to see the discrete steps. I think this is why scrolling is slow as it has to try and do this on each tile that is selected. Personally I can live with the slow EPG on 1.03.xx software, but this is much worse as it is both slow and visually distracting. I hope that it is just a page rendering issue that can be fixed. If not, unless I want to download, I will be using the Samsung app or the app on my Now TV box which still has version 3. Version 3 is still in use on many devices. Does anyone who is familiar with the new custom portal, or has knowledge of the underlying browser, think it will be possible to get access to version 3 by other means (e.g. modified portal app)?

No.... I realised that it wasn't good to skip with the old one. Just let it grow. Fast forward is a skip rather than play what's been downloaded so your download file is a series of skips ?.
The resulting file won't play beyond the first skip.

What is the situation with the HDR-2000T? I just bought one as I needed a 2nd PVR to my existing HDR-Fox T2, and I've got exactly the same error message when I try to connect to the TV Portal. The firmware is 1.00.07. I thought it might be out-of-date, but automatic search for an updated firmware produced nothing. Is there a firmware I can download and install that solves this problem? Thanks

I take it all back. I've just tried the TV Portal on the HRD-2000T again and it worked today. I'm not sure what changed to make it work today and not a few days ago. Some mysteries are beyond human understanding. :)

@MET: iPlayer v3 uses a lot of local files and is optimised for the old humax browser. Access to files on the bbc end is granted by your browser agent ID. That's how they will block the old boxes.

v4 is all bbc hosted and more than likely optimised for the new opera browser. Again, access will be against your browser id and will probably auto redirect to load v4.

I imagine they will begin to unpick all the older elements on the iPlayer site, so v3 will eventually disappear or start to die as they remove essential files/feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back