Undelete - Does it only work from webif?

Yep, just tried here today and it has stopped working in that files are being deleted immediately. I've just done a Force Re-install of undelete. And no crashes here either. The empty_dustbin.log keeps being appended to each day though so that part is still working fine!?!?

Just this - it's not altered for months. I've deleted it now from the Web-If so will get a bit more of a clue hopefully next time.
>>> Contents of /mod/tmp/crash.log 54.00 bytes
Humax crashed - Uptime: 39
Humax crashed - Uptime: 25

I have the disable-ota package installed so don't get the very early morning boot up. The undelete behaviour is pretty random other than it seems to work for longer (i.e. delete just moves the files to the Deleted Items folder instead of doing an actual delete) when there is more free disk space i.e 150GB or more

Just this - it's not altered for months. I've deleted it now from the Web-If so will get a bit more of a clue hopefully next time.
>>> Contents of /mod/tmp/crash.log 54.00 bytes
Humax crashed - Uptime: 39
Humax crashed - Uptime: 25

I think crash.log would be more useful if it had a date stamp, although, it is possible to see the last time the file was written to using Telnet

True - a bit tricky since the date utility isn't in the root filesystem though.
The next custom firmware will include that though and I'll be able to add a date stamp to this and several other places.

For anyone who wishes to disable this automatic plugin-disable safety net, you can upgrade to the latest version of the multienv package (1.5) and then run the plugin_autodisable/off diagnostic.

If your box is crashing, then something else is wrong, but this will at least stop things like undelete going away. One warning, if something is wrong with one of the plugins then your box could enter a permanent reboot loop that requires a custom-custom firmware to resolve. There have been no recent reports of instability though.

To re-enable the automatic disable feature, run the plugin_autodisable/on diagnostic.

Thanks,
I've installed that and have disabled the plugin-disable safety net. My box is very reliable unlike my old Digifusion FVRT100 (had one previously for several years) so I feel fairly certain that this should be fine.
Re-reading this though presumably this would only have any effect if my box WAS crashing frequently? Or am I wrong?
Before I ran this diagnostic is the normal behaviour that once a plugin is disabled does it remain permanently disabled or will it be re-enabled on the next reboot?

Thanks,
I've installed that and have disabled the plugin-disable safety net. My box is very reliable unlike my old Digifusion FVRT100 (had one previously for several years) so I feel fairly certain that this should be fine.

They weren't that bad : ) I had a 150 for a few years and once I'd replaced the background, written a disassembler and spent several weeks poring over a couple of million lines of disassembly to stop it from automatically generating thumbnails, installed the 200 software, ... ok, maybe they weren't perfect!

Re-reading this though presumably this would only have any effect if my box WAS crashing frequently? Or am I wrong?

Yes, but the only mechanism that disables the plugins is the crash handler. If the plugin goes away after disabling this then something very odd is going on!

Before I ran this diagnostic is the normal behaviour that once a plugin is disabled does it remain permanently disabled or will it be re-enabled on the next reboot?

To re-enable them, you'll need to run the fix-flash-packages diagnostic and restart your box. They won't automatically re-enable themselves.

Ahh, you wrote that for the FVRT100 :) I had that installed and one of the modified backgrounds and also the 200 software when that came out - turned it into a much better bit of kit! I ran mine with the lid off all of the time and with the little fan unplugged - to keep it cool and quiet . Thank-you! :) The tuners packed up on both of mine in the end :(

I'll keep an eye on crash log and telnet in to see the file date / time if I get a crash - hardly ever have though.
So when I do a force re-install of undelete to get it working again is that effectively the same as the fix-flash-packages (from the point of view of the undelete package anyway)?

So when I do a force re-install of undelete to get it working again is that effectively the same as the fix-flash-packages (from the point of view of the undelete package anyway)?

Yes - fix-flash-packages just does a force reinstall of any packages that store files in writeable flash areas.

Hi - I've been noticing the same problem: recordings permanently delete even though undelete is installed, was working correctly and I haven't done anything to the box/settings for months.

I tried the recommended steps posted previously, specifically the force re-install of the undelete package, however I'm getting an error which I can't decipher and haven't found any reference to on the forums or details of what I could do to resolve it. The full message is:

Code:
>>> opkg install --force-reinstall undelete
Removing package undelete from root...
You can force removal of packages with failed prerm scripts with the option:
    --force-remove
No packages removed.
Package undelete (1.6) installed in root is up to date.
Collected errors:
* pkg_run_script: package "undelete" prerm script returned status 255.
* opkg_remove_pkg: not removing package "undelete", prerm script failed

If anyone's got any idea of what I could do to resolve this and get undelete working again I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

You could try remove (uninstall) with the extra option shown above followed by a separate install i.e.
Code:
opkg remove --force-remove undelete

opkg install undelete

Thanks for the quick reply Ezra - this may be a very basic question, but where would I run those commands from? I'm assuming Telnet, or is there a way to run it from the WebIf?

Thanks,
Andy

Yes, Telnet - Wiki link HERE (click).

Note that recent custom firmwares (I think starting from 2.15) present a menu on Telnet access - to get to the plain command line, select option "cli".

Thanks for the quick reply Ezra - this may be a very basic question, but where would I run those commands from? I'm assuming Telnet, or is there a way to run it from the WebIf?
Some command line procedures can be sent from the Web-If >> Diagnostics list, but these have to be written to do a specific job and stored on a remote server from where the Humax can download them, for the above commands you would use Telnet as I you did for the command in #36

Back