[undelete] package released!

As usual, there are things going on here I don't understand. Would appreciate some help, please.
I have the undelete package installed and last night I deleted a load of things that were resident in my Delete folder. A bit later, I deleted something else and it deleted immediately. I did another couple of test recordings and deletions and they disappeared immediately. I see from cdmackay postings that something has occurred with the undelete package, but I don't understand his postings. Can someone please explain?
(I have uninstalled undelete and reinstalled it; I'm posting this before testing whether its functionality will have returned).
Thanks
Silverback

13:13 Just tried the reinstalled undelete and it's not working; file deleted immediately.

I think the Webif should warn the user with one of those big red notifications when packages have been disabled by the crash protection 'feature' and provide a 'fix it' button to perform the equivalent of the 'fix-flash-packages' diagnostic.

After a crash, I find undelete harder to get working again than the other flash packages I have installed on my machines. The fix flash packages routine fixes everything else (with respect to my configuration: I don't use redring for example), but there is usually an error message relating to undelete if you read through the output from the diagnostic.
I have found that the only reliable way to get undelete working again is to uninstall the package through package management, reboot, reinstall and reboot again.

There is a trick to stop crashes disabling packages.
It is documented in the Wiki
Is there a downside to stopping the flash packages from being disabled when a crash occurs? If there isn't why are they disabled by default?
When I get a crash, this event is recorded in the crash.log file but it does not say which packages have been disabled, contrary to the warning message from Web-If. Do I have to turn on debugging mode or something to enable reporting in the log file?

I've run the fix flash packages in diagnostics and the log shows :
* pkg_run_script: package "undelete" postrm script returned status 1.

The log also shows
>> Removing package undelete from root...
>> No packages removed.

What does it all mean, please? It's the only package which shows a message.

Thanks
Silverback

It's a bug in the package. I have just fixed it in undelete 1.6-1 but you'll need to manually force a reinstall through the diagnostic screen if it won't upgrade.

It's a bug in the package. I have just fixed it in undelete 1.6-1 but you'll need to manually force a reinstall through the diagnostic screen if it won't upgrade.
It wouldn't update on a force reinstall. I followed the recommendation of MontysEvilTwin and it's working againg.
Cheers
Silverback

Is there a downside to stopping the flash packages from being disabled when a crash occurs? If there isn't why are they disabled by default?

Unlike the rest of the custom firmware packages that run alongside the official Humax firmware, the flash packages hook directly into the Humax code. That means that if there is a bug in them then they can cause the main Humax process to crash and that will cause the box to reboot. This could result in a crash-reboot loop which would stop the box from recording - particularly a problem if you're away from home.

The current system catches crashes (which is why you see the 'Crash... Wait...' on the front panel) and if the crash occurred within 60 seconds of startup then it disables the plugins as a precaution in case they were to blame. We don't expect the box to crash routinely so for most people this is never a problem.

In truth the plugins are mature now and probably have fewer bugs in them than the core Humax code so it is probably safe to disable the safety net!

Good to know. Am I correct in thinking that with the update to the undelete package, the problems reinstalling it after a crash have gone away? If so I will leave things as they are, if not I will probably stop the packages being disabled. If a HDR-FOX were to get stuck in a crash-reboot loop, how is this loop broken? Do you have to do a USB firmware install, or is there an easier way?

I have been running maintenance on HDR2 (outpost), I updated from CF2.? to 3.10 last week, and now accessed the WebIF finding it wanting a new download - no idea why, but I flushed it via Telnet (it wouldn't successfully install without) and reloaded everything... but that's beside the point.

I thought I would rename the [Deleted Items] folder to put it at the bottom of the media list, but renaming it and adjusting the entry in settings won't stick. What gives?

Last edited:
By "won't stick", I mean that refreshing the settings page restores "[Deleted Items]". Yes, I have rebooted.

It works for me.
Does "cat /var/lib/humaxtv/mod/dustbin.name" change?
Does it reflect in the WebIf if you edit it manually?

I get "no such file or directory" - which I guess explains it. So I uninstalled and installed again, same result.

I'm losing access now.

Monday.

Would a force reinstall be better than an uninstall and reinstall?

It could probably do with a fix-disk, but I don't have any way to keep a session open. Maybe running it through webshell keeps the session open even without something on the other end?

Back