[unencrypt] Decrypt-in-place

I agree it is probably more likely to be a problem with the download.

An added layer of confusion is that both the unencrypt and webif packages could be using the wget from the busybox package or the one from the wget package. This depends upon whether or not the wget package is installed.

Any non-zero return value from wget should indicate a problem.

In Sam's absence, I'll make some changes to unencrypt and upload a new version that implements these ideas. I'll also ensure that the web interface version does the same.

I'm thinking of ways to streamline this. How do you feel about the unencrypt package becoming one which just automatically flags folders with the web interface auto-decrypt attribute and then lets the web interface logic do the rest?

The web interface is newer and more robust code which also uses techniques like truncate for large file deletion to avoid overloading the filesystem journal.

I think more operations could be in-built into the Web-If e.g. I can't see anyone objecting to Auto-unprotect being an always-on feature of the Web-if. As far as unencrypt being automatic, I think the only concern would be how much loading this would present to the system

I'm thinking of ways to streamline this. How do you feel about the unencrypt package becoming one which just automatically flags folders with the web interface auto-decrypt attribute and then lets the web interface logic do the rest?

I was thinking about doing away with unencrypt and maybe tweaking auto-decrypt a bit to compensate, but I came to the conclusion that unencrypt is still useful because it can be scheduled to run in certain time windows if desired, and is installable / configurable from Telnet when there is no routine WebIF access (like my remote box).

Would it be a better option to make the WebIF auto-decrypt functions call unencrypt as a dependency, and put all the effort into making unencrypt encapsulate the entire functionality?

I've recently had an example of the decryption truncation problem that has been discussed from post #243. A 45-minute recording of Crash Course only played for 15 minutes, even though the timeline was for the full length.

I am still getting the problem where the unencrypt is failing every week or so due to :

The DLNA server seems to have crashed
Please restart the box

Meaning I have to turn off DNLA , reboot and then re-enable. Any ideas why this is happening (or any logs I can look at)?

I think more operations could be in-built into the Web-If e.g. I can't see anyone objecting to Auto-unprotect being an always-on feature of the Web-if. As far as unencrypt being automatic, I think the only concern would be how much loading this would present to the system

+1 to this - auto unprotect should be built in to webif - maybe option on front in case somebody needs to deactivate (cannot think why but...)

Maybe unencrypt could be a folder option like shrink and dedup, perhaps have a third option of shrink + unencrypt as I think it does the shrink too ? If I'm right then it should allow option 2 or 3 not both

Regards

Damian

Auto-decrypt already is a folder option.

These facilities are useful as separate packages (even if they do get incorporated into WebIF), because there are some people using custom firmware on Humaxes without network connections and it is possible to create a limited configuration (eg my bomb-proof HDR No2) purely by USB transport.

In Sam's absence, I'll make some changes to unencrypt and upload a new version that implements these ideas. I'll also ensure that the web interface version does the same.
Just wondering if you ever get around to making those changes? As my HDD is about 95% decrypted at the moment I was thinking that now would be a good time to enable unencrypt. I've been put off previously with talk of the odd file corruption. Ideally I'd like as many safeguards in place (renaming files, checking file sizes are the same before deleting etc) before enabling it. If these improvements have not been made are their any other safeguards I can take to prevent truncated recordings?

My long term plan is to introduce a NAS device (Raided) for all my recordings which will remain on permanently. At this point it would be nice to have an Archiving package like unencrypt which runs periodically, decrypts all new recordings directly to the NAS (or an external USB). After decrypting and copying the various files (subtitles etc) then it would be nice to have the option to automatically delete the original recording from the HDD (putting it in the deleted items if undelete is installed). I would then watch all my recordings via a file share (automount) to my protected NAS storage. At any point in time my Hummy's HDD would then only contain recordings which were not yet archived...

It doesn't look like I did update unencrypt but I did apparently add the file size check to the web interface auto-decrypt feature.
I'll have another look at unencrypt.

It doesn't look like I did update unencrypt but I did apparently add the file size check to the web interface auto-decrypt feature.
I'll have another look at unencrypt.
Thanks, I'd appreciate it if you can spare the time to look at it. I can imagine you have quite a list!

About a week ago or so I finally got around to installing unencrypt. Everything seems to be working fine except that most days when I check it (via webif) I find the unencrypt log has the following in it : "The DLNA server seems to have crashed. Please restart the box". However when I check the DLNA server via webif diagnostics, its running fine, as does unencrypt itself (checked by running encsummary and playing back decrypted recordings). The error message does not seem right to me... I was wondering if my power on timer was perhaps too close time wise to start of the cron job? (5 minutes ISTR)

I am still getting the problem where the unencrypt is failing every week or so due to :

The DLNA server seems to have crashed
Please restart the box

Meaning I have to turn off DNLA , reboot and then re-enable. Any ideas why this is happening (or any logs I can look at)?

As reported in another topic, the DLNA server does not run while the HDR-FOX is busy with the TV Portal or is half awake (recording or preparing to record from standby). If unencrypt tries to run in this period it will encounter a problem, but it should resolve when the HDR-FOX is on normally.

One thing I did notice with the uncrypt process is that it will try and process every file, even if it is not a .ts. I have some MP3s in the "My Music" folder on my Humax and it tried to process those. I guess it could be speeded up a bit....
Will it?? Which decrypt process in particular?:
Method 1 (auto-decrypted recordings using unencrypt)
Method 2 (WebIF-mediated auto-decryption)
Method 3 (manually decrypted recordings)
Method 4 (recording decrypted on download)
Method 5 (recording decrypted by copy)
Method 6 (recording decrypted by stream capture)

Method 1 is deprecated, use method 2 in preference.

Method 1 remains useful in unmanaged situations (typically in the absence of a home network), and the unencrypt package is unmaintained, but it shouldn't be doing anything with a non-TS file (it can't do anything to a non-TS file, and can't do anything with a non-streamable file).

What makes you think unencrypt is processing every file?

Method 1 is deprecated, use method 2 in preference.

Method 1 remains useful in unmanaged situations (typically in the absence of a home network), and the unencrypt package is unmaintained, but it shouldn't be doing anything with a non-TS file (it can't do anything to a non-TS file, and can't do anything with a non-streamable file).

What makes you think unencrypt is processing every file?

Got you about method 1.

From my /mod/tmp/unencrypt.log

Code:
12 I Don't Want To Spoil The Party.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/07 Kansas City_Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!.mp3", Media ID is 1014
07 Kansas City_Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/04 Rock And Roll Music.mp3", Media ID is 1015
04 Rock And Roll Music.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/13 What You're Doing.mp3", Media ID is 1016
13 What You're Doing.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/09 Words Of Love.mp3", Media ID is 1017
09 Words Of Love.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/11 Every Little Thing.mp3", Media ID is 1018
11 Every Little Thing.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/06 Mr. Moonlight.mp3", Media ID is 1019
06 Mr. Moonlight.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory
Processing "My Music/Beatles For Sale (Mono)/14 Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby.mp3", Media ID is 1020
14 Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby.mp3.hmt: No such file or directory

Last edited:
That's OK, it's just searching for candidates. The .mp3's are listed in the DLNA index, so it goes to check.

It does seem a bit stupid not to throw out anything that isn't .ts though - obviously the author didn't have any counter-examples on his system, and didn't think to check before proceeding. Method 2 is very much more refined.

Jason_a69: see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click) - Code Listings and Terminal Output

Last edited:
Back