United Airlines

That's been all over the news this morning. Definitely in line for an assault charge, if nothing else.

The only solution I can see is to have an auction for volunteers to give up their seats. Put up a display that says "alternative flight + $" with a steadily increasing sum until enough people press the "accept" button. If it costs the airlines enough to hedge their bets with overbooking, they will have to think twice about it.

It would be better if they only allowed the right number of people onto the flight in the first place - close the gate so it is the latecomers that lose their seats. I guess there are circumstances where that won't work. In this case, it appears they wanted the places for their own staff - that's got to be bad!

Presumably a crew needed for another flight that otherwise would have massively delayed a whole planeful of disgruntled passengers? But if one of them was a steward with less strict regulation of their working time than cabin crew they could surely rustle up another steward from elsewhere (a middle manager who was ex-steward?) or even fly one light?

or even fly one light?
Probably not - there are required minimum numbers of cabin crew for handling emergencies. (If there weren't you can be sure the airlines wouldn't have them at all, it'd be self-service.)

Presumably a crew needed for another flight that otherwise would have massively delayed a whole planeful of disgruntled passengers?
Which suggests United's planning sucks. Bumping paying passengers after they are on the plane is just appalling. United are going to get hammered for this regardless of how 'right' they think they are/were.

BTW: what's this got to do with AvP, or is there some kind of English usage error in that video?

BTW: what's this got to do with AvP, or is there some kind of English usage error in that video?

Good point. Which idiot started it? :p
:rolling:
I'm sure there are plenty of vulgar English expressions that could be used to describe the video.(I've seen, but not heard, the footage.)
Perhaps someone used the wrong four letter word to describe members of United's "team".:D

Overbook situation and incorrect usage of oversold on the captions? Plus, somewhere or other, this was described as re-accomodation. (Sic)

Last edited by a moderator:
C9SQBKwUQAAxpfS.jpg

Last edited:
Back