Universal remote controls

makem

I have two HDR-FOX T2 boxes and want to use a universal remote control because of the total number of items of equipment that I have each controlled be a separate remote.

Assuming all remotes could be replaced by a universal remote, I purchased an Inteset 4-in-1 universal remote control which arrives today.

A few minutes ago, having not been able to find codes which the manual says I will need, I contacted Humax only to be told that their boxes cannot be controlled by a universal remote!

Is that true?

I also contacted Panasonic, asking where to obtain their codes only to be told that the remote does not have codes and the TV is only controllable via the remote supplied with each set.

Both replies are nonsense.

Humax use the ubiquitous so-called NEC format and there's nothing special about the Panasonic format either. Both use a 38kHz IR carrier.

If the worst comes to the worst and unless you already have one, get a learning universal remote and set it up to learn the codes from the original. (Point one at the other and press the key that you want the universal to learn.
My Harmony does the trick for me.

I agree that the replies were nonsense
Both replies are nonsense.

Humax use the ubiquitous so-called NEC format and there's nothing special about the Panasonic format either. Both use a 38kHz IR carrier.

I agree that the replies were nonsense and I did try to point that out to both representatives but they were adamant.

If the worst comes to the worst and unless you already have one, get a learning universal remote and set it up to learn the codes from the original. (Point one at the other and press the key that you want the universal to learn.
My Harmony does the trick for me.

Well, I gave this remote a try and found that of course it would control the TV using the first code supplied on the Inteset web page. Most keys were programmed although as expected it was not immediately obvious which was which. A couple of keys needed 'learning' to make it possible to use as an aternative to the standard remote.

However, the quality of the remote, the small size of some of the buttons and the stick-on labels which I anticipated would soon get ragged and removed made me think twice about keeping it.

Before returning it I decided to try controlling the Humax boxes and I did find a code which worked but, even more than the TV, there were some buttons which needed to be learnt. I then considered the second Humax remote but decided that the trouble of remembering the button changes for 4 pieces of equipment and the poor quality of the unit, did not justify keeping it. I also had misgivings that my wife would be unable to cope as she almost never uses any remote!

My son pointed out some 'intelligent' remotes with hubs which learned from the units themselves but these were very expensive and hard to justify to replace just 3 remotes. This Inteset one will go back. I will try to find one which has a more close button layout to either one of my current remotes.

Maybe someone will come up with a mobile phone app which can duplicate the button layout on screen and function of each of my remotes :)

Last edited:
Maybe someone will come up with a mobile phone app which can duplicate the button layout on screen and function of each of my remotes :)
Mobile phones don't usually have infra-red communication, so they wouldn't work, the Web-If has a 'Remote' feature and there is also an app. That will do what you want (via wifi rather than infra-red), it works in conjunction with the Custom FirmWare
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/android-remote-control.8474/

Last edited:
Mobile phones don't usually have infra-red communication, so they wouldn't work, the Web-If has a 'Remote' featute and there is also an app. That will do what you want (via wifi rather than infra-red), it works in conjunction with the Custom FirmWare

I have that installed but having two boxes and not having read about the app, I had just tried it and didn't really do it justice. I will take a closer look thanks. Howver, I don't think my tv can be controlled via wifi but even to reduce the remotes from 4 to two would be helpful. (the sound bar control via the tv HDMI is sufficient for me)

Last edited:
The app can only control one HDR-FOX at a time (unless it has been updated after I pointed that out), and requires the ir package installed.

Logitech Harmony is the way to go.

Second one of the Logitech Harmony range. Their massive online database includes all four code sets that Humax used for their PVRs which would be particularly suitable for your set up.

In the UK there have been at least 8 so far. Which four code sets are included?
I meant the four used by the Fox-T2 and the Foxsat, the first of which is also used by they various Youview models and related models (but which does not let you change it).

I currently used an Ultimate as my main Harmony remote with a 650 as a secondary remote (better for searching with physical alpha/number buttons etc). Use to have a 555 which sadly is no longer available and whose buttons started to fail after years of use then packed up altogether.

Another advantage of the Harmony range is that they are activity based which means you can ignore the CEC functionality that often does not work very well between equipment of different makes but allows the remote to take care of when and if a particular device is turned on or off.

Last edited:
I'm tempted too.. unfortunately there is nothing wrong with my Logitech One or whatever it's called.

My son pointed out some 'intelligent' remotes with hubs which learned from the units themselves but these were very expensive and hard to justify to replace just 3 remotes. This Inteset one will go back. I will try to find one which has a more close button layout to either one of my current remotes.
This is pretty cheap, has at least one built-in code for HDx Fox-T2, and can learn codes (from an original or other remote) up to its somewhat limited memory. However even without mapping the Media and TV Portal shortcut commands and the marginally useful List there are only enough buttons for 3 of the bottom 12 Humax buttons, which is a bit limiting. There is a global Macro button which you can program up to turn your setup on and off, or to do something else if you can use the All Off button as the master power button. You can force the volume buttons to use the TV or Amp codes ("punch-through"), a key missing feature of the Humax remote.

Further up the price range but still dead cheap, a Sony programmable remote such as this RM-VLZ620 can handle 8 devices, has built-in codes for HDx Fox-T2 and can learn codes up to a higher limit. The device buttons can be given codes and there are 4 global macro (System Control) buttons. Buttons A, B, C, D can be mapped to the colour buttons -- good if you have some enamel paint (or nail polish!) to apply under the buttons. After re-mapping some of the built-in code mappings, 8 buttons are left to cover List, Media, TV Portal and the remaining 9 of the bottom 12 Humax buttons, so there are enough for (eg) Media and all the bottom 12 button commands except Text and TV/Radio even if the mapped buttons might be counter-intuitive. And there is punch-through.

The One-for-All range can usually be coerced to do what you want using the Magic function and/or tech support but generally have far too few buttons to replace the Humax remote.

If you're spending more than £25, I think the best answer is an old Android phone with a built-in or add-on IR blaster: what I shall be using when my old Sunwave 7000 dies. For extra functionality, add a Poundland USB charging stand (possibly no longer available there)!

If you're spending more than £25, I think the best answer is an old Android phone with a built-in or add-on IR blaster: what I shall be using when my old Sunwave 7000 dies. For extra functionality, add a Poundland USB charging stand (possibly no longer available there)!

I looked into that suggestion thanks. I have 3 links on my home screen that deal with most things in every day use but I still need the two hummy remotes somewhere handy just to turn them on. I will keep my eyes open for an old phone with builtin blaster.

Back