Unresponsive box

Ara_yo

It seems that my hdr-fox T2 has packed up. I have tried to reinstalling the latest custom firmware again, but it only downloads it and it reboots straight away. I can't connect from my pc. I think it has died. Is there a way I can extract the hard drive and watch the recordings on my PC? I can't remember if I enabled decryption :(

Last edited:
A lot more detail of symptom is needed?
EXACTLY what are you seeing

I you can install CF then it is not totally dead?
Does it boot up with the disk disconnected?

I see the Humax logo and loader version, then the green screen and then the signal gets lost. On the rs.hpkg.tv/, all the channel info is gone and keep getting "the following programmes failed to record". The machine seems to wake up as per programmed but then it doesn't record.

The CF doesn't really install, it only says downloading for about 1 minute, then asks to reboot but nothing happens afterwards.

I am not asking for help to repair it. I am not very good at this. Just wanted to know if there is a way I could see the recordings on my PC. If I can't, I'll try to remeber what they were and try catch up.

Also, I am happy to give it away for spare parts to anyone who can pick it up from South London.

Last edited:
I am not very good at this. Just wanted to know if there is a way I could see the recordings on my PC.
The recordings are recoverable. Just not by you, as you don't have the necessary skills.

I think it has died. Is there a way I can extract the hard drive and watch the recordings on my PC?:(
Yes to that question.
A key part will be decrypting the recordings. For searching for threads on how to do this when the HDR-FOX T2 is inoperable it has been referred to as "off-line decryption" on this forum.

A couple of threads are:

For details of the decryption key see:

Talking the disk out of the Humax is trivial - no skill needed other than a simple screwdriver!
To connect disk to a PC is also simple but you would need to purchase a Hard disk caddy or cables o connect it to the PC's USB sockets
You would then to decrypt the recordings (if not already decrypted) as decribed above.
Once decryped they can be viewed using VLC.

To connect disk to a PC is also simple
Well it's not, because to most people a PC is a Windows PC - "there aren't any others, are there?" - and you aren't going to read a Linux ext3 disk format on such a thing easily.

Yes to that question.
A key part will be decrypting the recordings. For searching for threads on how to do this when the HDR-FOX T2 is inoperable it has been referred to as "off-line decryption" on this forum.

A couple of threads are:

For details of the decryption key see:
Thank you. That's very helpful. I'll try that

Talking the disk out of the Humax is trivial - no skill needed other than a simple screwdriver!
To connect disk to a PC is also simple but you would need to purchase a Hard disk caddy or cables o connect it to the PC's USB sockets
You would then to decrypt the recordings (if not already decrypted) as decribed above.
Once decryped they can be viewed using VLC.
Brilliant! Thank you. I already have a disk caddy

I am willing to open the box. I have a harddriver reader
OK, but you will still have a few hoops to jump through. The process is explained in this post:

Rescuing Recordings from a Dead HDR-FOX

If your recordings are already decrypted, then once you gain access to the Ext3 format of the HDD you will be able to play them (using VLC) without further complication. Otherwise you will have to decrypt as described.

Gaining access to Ext3 means either booting Linux or installing an Ext3 reader accessory or driver in Windows, although it might be that Win11 has Ext3 capability built-in.

I'm not familiar with "live booting" a modern PC fitted with a Trusted Security Module, I don't know whether you can still just plug in a Linux installation on USB and boot from it – perhaps somebody can comment? The reason this might be an issue is because a live boot bypasses any security layers Windows has established and enables direct access to any drive on the system, so system admins commonly turn off USB booting in the BIOS and lock it down. Windows 11 is so nannying that it wouldn't surprise me if that is now as standard.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with "live booting" a modern PC fitted with a Trusted Security Module, I don't know whether you can still just plug in a Linux installation on USB and boot from it – perhaps somebody can comment?
I think you need to use rufus (or similar software) to organise the USB stick in the required format. See https://rufus.ie/en/
I used it to install a dual boot system (Windows 11 and Debian 11) on a modern laptop.

Back