Resolved Unwanted Links Attached to Posts

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Somehow, a user's post has acquired an embedded link to trigger an eBay search for the string in question. The question is: where has this come from?! It doesn't look likely that the user's client is responsible, because the link itself has features that are not available in BB Code: the link is not created with the usual [URL]...[/URL] tags, and the link displays a hover tip (something I would love to do).

So who's done what???

Discussion is in posts 31-35 of the offending thread: link to post 31 (click)

Now then! Something (not me, that's for sure) converted the word "eBay" in my previous post to a link! Whoever's enabled or installed something to cause that turn it off immediately!!!

That's what I thought. Does that mean that we will be lumbered with all kinds of skimlinks and won't have to contribute the the 'keep hummy.tv' going appeal from now on?;)

I wasn't aware of it until prpr mentioned it, and couldn't see it until I disabled ABP and Ghostery.

SkimLinks is used on AV Forums and DS Forums, whereas My Humax Forum is currently Ad and Tracker Free!

Last edited:
Now then! Something (not me, that's for sure) converted the word "eBay" in my previous post to a link! Whoever's enabled or installed something to cause that turn it off immediately!!!
It doesn't appear to be there in View Source, so still not sure how/what is causing it.

This I presume:
Code:
<script type="//s.skimresources.com/js/93725X1547925.skimlinks.js"></script>
I bl@@dy hate debugging web stuff.

Just saw them on Sainsbury and Oxfam in another thread. Now blocking them (adblockpro).

So did I and oxwhatsit is linked in yours but sainplace isn't (yet)
Is it something that you have done Brian? If so stoppit.

But what about explanations like this
SkimLinks is a London based affiliate marketing platform. Their tools and products provide Web site owners the ability to monetize their site through placement of affiliate links. The SkimLinks JavaScript code is placed on their site, which then scans the website's content and converts product references to links to those products from marketers.
So is it on your website, or is it on my computer? Your website looks favourite to me at the moment.

Fix in Adblock, (not Adblock+ but probably similar), goto options and uncheck the 'Allow some non-intrusive advertising' check box. Works here and AVF. Still annoying that it's there in the first place though:frantic:Not convinced about their definition of 'non-intrusive advertising' though:roflmao:

Last edited:
But what about explanations like this So is it on your website, or is it on my computer? Your website looks favourite to me at the moment.

Fix in Adblock, (not Adblock+ but probably similar), goto options and uncheck the 'Allow some non-intrusive advertising' check box. Works here and AVF. Still annoying that it's there in the first place though:frantic:Not convinced about their definition of 'non-intrusive advertising' though:roflmao:
It seems to be on Hummy.tv, but website owner Michael will have to confirm it.

It's not just a question of blocking them in what I see - I don't want others seeing links in content I authored.

Morning,

Apologies, I was playing with this over the weekend in a view to not need donations to keep the site running and because someone commented on there being more adverts (there are 4 adverts and always have been, they're just responsive now), it looked like it didn't work and I just left it, apparently it takes a few days to start filtering through! I've removed it.

Michael

Back