Update via USB - Freeze at Humax Screen

Grant-Ross

I'm updating from the original firmware to the newest via Humax's website & instructions..

I've done everything, exact (countless times)..

Using a 4GB USB pen formatted to FAT32

I'll plug the box in while holding the power on.. The box powers on and just hangs on the Humax screen.. If I unplug the USB and restart the box however, it will simply return to normal.

Fixes/Ideas?

You don't get the software update screen at all? Then I would recommend you try another USB stick before investigating further.

Nope! But the funny thing is, it just hangs there forever... Like it reads/recognises the file on the stick... Until I unplug and restart it...

I will ask someone to bring one to school tomorrow
does it matter about capacity?

I don't think so, but (as I found out last night) very old USB sticks might not work. The problem is the range of different drivers they require.

I seeee.. This USB stick is 2 years old? I'll buy a new one in the morning and try it anyways.
Humax's customer support seem lazy and in a rush to get you off the phone, though & the man didn't know what FAT32 was, and I'm still waiting on the e-mail for instructions :/
I really hope the box isn't faulty though, as I purchased it from eBay! :(

The stick I failed with is at least 6 years old (and maybe more)! It's not the age as such, it's a question of whether the specific access protocols required for that particular manufacture of stick are supported. Windows (XP and later) goes away and automatically finds the right library first time you plug it in, but the limited Humax linux doesn't come fitted out with that degree of versatility. Some will work fine, some will be ignored totally, the worst kind give the Humax the idea it can access them but don't respond quite in the expected way and crash it.

I have had success (on the HDR- and HD-) with an 8GB Medion-branded, and a 2GB unbranded. I suggest you nip down to Tesco and buy the cheapest one you can find.

Don't wait for Humax customer support though - you'll be lucky to get any. All the resources you need are right here. Not got the manual? See here (click) under "Miscellaneous... User Manual".

Just to check you are performing the required steps, here's something I logged elsewhere:

Download the latest update (1.02.20) from Humax here (click), then unzip it to the root directory of a USB stick. This should give you a file named "HD_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf" (no other name will do).

Plug the stick into the HD-FOX T2 while it is in standby, turn on the TV and connect to the relevant HDMI (to monitor progress), and bring the Humax out of standby by pressing and holding the power button. The screen should show downloading and then updating, the process will stall around 90% but don't worry - give it time.

When it says to reboot, remove the stick and then press the button.

Strangely, after a few attempts, I got the old .12 update that enables PVR to install... But now the newest, .20 update with the Portal will not! I think it may be the USB then?
I reformatted it slowly and restored the box to factory settings, starting everything from fresh.. I don't think it played a factor in the success, though as I retried with .20 and failed! :/

It's extremely frustrating.. and confusing! :(

Just to check you are performing the required steps, here's something I logged elsewhere:

Download the latest update (1.02.20) from Humax here (click), then unzip it to the root directory of a USB stick. This should give you a file named "HD_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf" (no other name will do).

Plug the stick into the HD-FOX T2 while it is in standby, turn on the TV and connect to the relevant HDMI (to monitor progress), and bring the Humax out of standby by pressing and holding the power button. The screen should show downloading and then updating, the process will stall around 90% but don't worry - give it time.

This is the procedure for the HDR I believe. I get the impression that the OP is trying to update an HD.

No, this is the procedure for the HD-FOX. The HDR-FOX doesn't have a power button. Also the file name would be different.

I gave (almost) those instructions to Super Lurker before I also had a HD-FOX, and he reported back that it worked just as I said (with corrctions that I have applied back). Since then I have acquired an HD-FOX myself, and the update went smoothly, so although I can't remember it in detail I can reasonably presume that it did what it said on the tin.

You forget to mention that the HD needs to be disconnected from the mains and reconnected whilst holding down the power button. It's a bit of both!

The manuals of both boxes refer to the button as Standby.

The link that you have posted is for 1.02.18, and not 1.02.20 as suggested.

1.02.20 can be found Here.

You forget to mention that the HD needs to be disconnected from the mains and reconnected whilst holding down the power button. It's a bit of both!

The manuals of both boxes refer to the button as Standby.
The HD-FOX T2 does Not need to be disconnected from the mains, putting it into standby will do. Then press and hold the power/standby button until the software update begins.

Download HD_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf and put it on the root of a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Turn off the Humax and wait until the disk stops spinning (there's a click as it powers down).
Plug the USB drive into the back USB port on the Humax (you'll have to unplug any disk you have in there already).
Turn on the TV and set it to the Humax input.
Unplug the Humax and, holding down the power button, plug it back in again.
The screen should show a software update being applied.

Just copied this from: Customised HDF file released, on this forum.

But I have used that method and it worked then. I will try the new method when I next need to upgrade the CF.

I have used the press and hold from standby method on my HD-FOX T2 on a number of occasions, when updating the software, and when adding and updating the custom firmware.

Well it will save me getting at the plug next time. It is not mentioned in the manual, so I was just following instructions.
Even if it were there are some out there who do not read manuals.
It is a good idea to download the latest PDF versions, especially for the HD.

...Turn off the Humax and wait until the disk stops spinning (there's a click as it powers down).
That is to presume the user has a USB hard drive plugged in.

I just want to make clear the difference in performing a firmware update between the HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2:

The HDR-FOX T2 has a power on/off switch on the back, but no physical (moving) standby button. There is a touch-sensitive pad in the middle of the front panel for going in and out of standby. To flash the HDR-FOX t2, all you need to do is insert a USB stick containing a file with the correct file name in either front or rear USB sockets (some people have found some USB sticks don't work very well in one or the other socket), and reboot the box by any method (including the remote control).

The HD-FOX T2 has a physical standby button, but no on/off switch. To flash the HD-FOX T2, you need to insert a USB stick containing a file with the correct name (different from the HDR update file) into the only USB socket, then reboot the box from standby using the button and hold the button in until the firmware update process starts.

Back