USB drives on HUB not mounting

Only the first drive seems to register (as usb-drive1 etc)
the rest are listed as drive6 7 8 etc (not usb-drive6 etc) but their folders are empty
and they fail to unmount correctly
none seem to use the partition name at all

Is this a concern to anyone else or is this just a limitation we have to live with?

af123

Administrator
Staff member
If it is mounting as usb-driveX then I think that is an interaction of the NTFS package. Non-NTFS disks should mount just as /media/driveX

Hopefully xyz321 will be along to confirm and may have more insight.

What filesystems are on the various disks?

xyz321

If it is mounting as usb-driveX then I think that is an interaction of the NTFS package. Non-NTFS disks should mount just as /media/driveX

Hopefully xyz321 will be along to confirm and may have more insight.
Yes the ntfs-3g package remounts NTFS filesystems which had a mount point of /media/driveX with the new name /media/usb-driveX. The reason for this is that the Humax application will assume that the disk is still read only unless it has been given a new name.

OP
OP
J
thanks guys

Just for info I've discovered if I plug the drives in slowly one by one just once everything works fine including unplugging and re-mounting - until a hard power off after which I need to do it again.
The hub I'm using is is a 4 port logik (logitek?) self powered of course. (cost £12 from PCW)
It also seems a very bad idea to try and use the rear port for anything.
some of the drives do have a mix of ntfs and fat32 but once working they all seem to sync up and run fine.
All are 1 or 2TB drives. The 1TB's are western digitals elements drives

This turns the box into a really nice stored media platform.

I suspect I will have to change the firmware back from .28 to .20 through as my dev box has been
suffering a whole slew of weird problems since that went on. No amount of clearing down seems to fix that.

OP
OP
J
The drives need more power to start up than to run, so you are avoiding them all starting up at once.
Normally a good suggestion but not the case in this instance. By plugging in slowly I mean waiting for the OS to do its thing.
The drives are already spun up by the hub.

I'm suspecting a timing issue of some sort but its no big problem anyway.
The work around seems reliable.