USB drives on HUB not mounting

jack616

Only the first drive seems to register (as usb-drive1 etc)
the rest are listed as drive6 7 8 etc (not usb-drive6 etc) but their folders are empty
and they fail to unmount correctly
none seem to use the partition name at all

Is this a concern to anyone else or is this just a limitation we have to live with?

If it is mounting as usb-driveX then I think that is an interaction of the NTFS package. Non-NTFS disks should mount just as /media/driveX

Hopefully xyz321 will be along to confirm and may have more insight.

What filesystems are on the various disks?

USB drives on cheapo hubs often cause problems. I have 4 hubs, but only one (a D-Link) supports multiple drives on my PC.

If it is mounting as usb-driveX then I think that is an interaction of the NTFS package. Non-NTFS disks should mount just as /media/driveX

Hopefully xyz321 will be along to confirm and may have more insight.
Yes the ntfs-3g package remounts NTFS filesystems which had a mount point of /media/driveX with the new name /media/usb-driveX. The reason for this is that the Humax application will assume that the disk is still read only unless it has been given a new name.

thanks guys

Just for info I've discovered if I plug the drives in slowly one by one just once everything works fine including unplugging and re-mounting - until a hard power off after which I need to do it again.
The hub I'm using is is a 4 port logik (logitek?) self powered of course. (cost £12 from PCW)
It also seems a very bad idea to try and use the rear port for anything.
some of the drives do have a mix of ntfs and fat32 but once working they all seem to sync up and run fine.
All are 1 or 2TB drives. The 1TB's are western digitals elements drives

This turns the box into a really nice stored media platform.

I suspect I will have to change the firmware back from .28 to .20 through as my dev box has been
suffering a whole slew of weird problems since that went on. No amount of clearing down seems to fix that.

The drives need more power to start up than to run, so you are avoiding them all starting up at once.

The drives need more power to start up than to run, so you are avoiding them all starting up at once.

Normally a good suggestion but not the case in this instance. By plugging in slowly I mean waiting for the OS to do its thing.
The drives are already spun up by the hub.

I'm suspecting a timing issue of some sort but its no big problem anyway.
The work around seems reliable.

Back