USB hard drive recording problem

Umanbean

I've just started getting a problem with recording to HDD. The recording appears to start and proceed Ok but when I try and view the recorded show via media button (whilst it is still recording) it takes ages for the USB,s menu of recorded programmes to come up and it just says "Processing". When the programs do finally show up and I try and play back the recording the picture and sound break up to the point it is unwatchable.
If I wait until the show has finished recording the USB programmes show up instantly but the recording I've just made is still unplayable because of picture/sound breakup. This breakup is NOT happening when viewing live TV .
Old programmes that were recoded a while ago play OK. Its just newly recorded from the last few days.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

OK I've swapped out the USB drive for a new one and everything is back to normal and working OK. This suggests it was a HDD problem , possibly fragmented but whatever...., Ive been reading this topic on here:
Steps for Repairing a Disk of Unknown Faults.

My question is can this process be used for correcting HDD faults on a HDFox-T2. Because when I went into maintenence mode it didn't recognise the USB drive was connected at all. If this method can't correct USB drive errors how can it be done without losing all the programs that have already been recorded??

Anybody?

Not sure if you are referring to the Custom Firmware >> Maintenance Mode >> Fix-disk option, but this is only available for the HDR-Fox T2 not the HD-Fox T2. You could copy the contents of the original USB HDD to a P.C., you will need to install a program on the P.C. that will allow it to read EXT3 files e.g. Ext2Fsd, then get the Humax to format the USB HDD and copy the files back after the format

The fix-disk utility was only ever intended to check the internal disk of an HDR since the only alternatives (at the time) were to return the box to Humax or remove the hard drive from the unit and test it on a PC. There are a few reasons as to why it was not extended to enable a USB drive to be tested on an HD. The main reasons were lack of memory and the SMART diagnostic infomation may be inaccessible.

Your best bet is to plug it into a PC and run disk checking programs on there. If it is formatted as ext3 then I suggest running e2fsck from a Linux Live CD.

Thanks for your reply. I had never heard of e2fsck but have installed it and it works. Am presenly copying over files from the USB to PC but note that some files from the mod directory wont copy due to file names being too long.
Presumably that will affect things when it comes to copying back to the reformatted USB?

some files from the mod directory wont copy due to file names being too long. Presumably that will affect things when it comes to copying back to the reformatted USB?
When re-naming the files with long names any title will be O.K. as long as all files in a set match, also some file handling systems don't like spaces between words so 'dashes' or 'underscores' are better e.g. :-
My-Video-2.ts
My-Video-2.hmt
My-Video-2.thm
My-Video-2.nts

If you are copying the /mod directory to another OS then you may have problems with permissions and symlinks when copying back to an ext3 formatted disk.

So now I have a major problem and can't seea way out. I have a reformatted USB disk attached onto which I have copied the content from the old disc. I can watch the recorded shows and record new ones BUT I can't log in via Telnet to bootHDR mode as I get permission denied. I also can not log into the web portal , all i see is
Status...
Can anyone help please.

Connect the disk to a PC and delete the /mod directory. The HD will recreate it on startup but you will have to reinstall all of your packages.

For next time e2fsck will normally fix it without having to copy files around.

Thanks for your help. I followed your suggestion but some of the files in /mod were undeletable so I had to rename to modbak. Then reinstalled webif and tried to install packages. Namely bootHDR which is about the only one I want. BootHDR failed to install properly and has caused more problems,maybe this is for another forum but this is what the install looks like:

>>> opkg install BootHDR Installing BootHDR (1.1) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/BootHDR_1.1_mipsel.opk. Installing humidify (1.0.2) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/humidify_1.0.2_mipsel.opk. Installing squashfs-tools (3.1r2) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/squashfs-tools_3.1r2_mipsel.opk. Installing wget (1.12) to root... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/wget_1.12_mipsel.opk. Can't find /mod/hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf. Will try to download but if this fails manually copy hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf to /mod and try again. Now attempting download... --2013-06-13 14:30:50-- http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freeview-hd-t2/HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20.zip Resolving beta.humaxonline.co.uk... 2a00:1450:4001:c02::79, 173.194.70.121 Connecting to beta.humaxonline.co.uk|2a00:1450:4001:c02::79|:80... failed: Address family not supported by protocol. Connecting to beta.humaxonline.co.uk|173.194.70.121|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily Location: http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freeview-hd-t2/HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20.zip?attredirects=0 [following] --2013-06-13 14:30:50-- http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freeview-hd-t2/HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20.zip?attredirects=0 Connecting to beta.humaxonline.co.uk|173.194.70.121|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily Location: http://95795ca1-a-2c07898e-s-sites....f6TzIcO6hsXt3Sdv4W8exAz7pC57Q=&attredirects=0 [following] --2013-06-13 14:30:50-- http://95795ca1-a-2c07898e-s-sites....f6TzIcO6hsXt3Sdv4W8exAz7pC57Q=&attredirects=0 Resolving 95795ca1-a-2c07898e-s-sites.googlegroups.com... 2a00:1450:4001:c02::89, 173.194.70.137 Connecting to 95795ca1-a-2c07898e-s-sites.googlegroups.com|2a00:1450:4001:c02::89|:80... failed: Address family not supported by protocol. Connecting to 95795ca1-a-2c07898e-s-sites.googlegroups.com|173.194.70.137|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily.....
this goes in forever until it Then it says:

created 1359 files created 123 directories created 138 symlinks created 200 devices created 0 fifos HDR filesystem extracted... Cleaning up temp files... Configuring humidify. Configuring squashfs-tools. Configuring wget. Configuring BootHDR.

And just hangs with "Processing Request."

Have tried everything I know but this I cannot resolve.
Hope you can help again..

Yes, but after it created a whole new folder structure containing HDR files and even removing bootHDR doesnt get rid of them,so next time I try and reinstall bootHDR it uses these same files from this folder and when I boot into HDR mode I cannot access the USB drive at all. BTW there is no indication of which hdr_foxt2_upgrade.hdf version I should use so I used the latest CFW version, but why should I need to do this? Why isnt it downloading and creating these folder/files automatically?
I am at a complete loss how to0 proceed .

Update...
Just to be clear, I have tried removing all installed packages via the diagnostics menu on webif. Have then tried reinstalling bootHDRmode and it hangs at Configuring BootHDR. Processing Request.
Exiting from webif and logging in via Telnet I set bootHDRmode and it appears to run OK. I go to the Hummy which has rebooted in HDRmode? and now CANNOT select media. No USB is loading so I turn off and on again and am back to HD mode.

Why isnt it downloading and creating these folder/files automatically?
This is because Humax have reorganised their web site. Version 1.02.20 is no longer available and the links to the newer versions are redirected to a secure site. It will need further investigation and an update to the bootHDR package.

Doh, it does indeed work :oops: I had the wrong version of wget installed. Oh well still a mystery then.

The listing in #11 does not show why it failed.

I'm not sure that it did fail. Perhaps the package post install script just hangs for some reason. I've seen this with some packages which start services without redirecting standard input - it doesn't stop them working just appears to not complete installation.

The fact that it says created 1359 files created 123 directories created 138 symlinks created 200 devices created 0 fifos HDR filesystem extracted implies the download was successful in the end.

The question becomes one of why it can't see the USB drive when it goes into HDR mode.

I was having a play with my spare HD-Fox T2. I have reinstalled the CF (1.02.29/ 2.19) with an EXT2 formatted 64 GB USB stick attached, rather than a USB disk drive. This worked well and I can now record too. The only issue I had was that the USB stick came formatted as exFAT and had to be converted to FAT32 before the Hummy would do the EXT2 formatting (Windows won't do this willingly on a drive >32 GB so I used the HP USB disk storage format tool).

Anyway, just like above, I installed the BootHDR package. The installation appeared to hang at the end, but after clicking 'close' it seemed to have installed and I could boot into HDR mode. However, pressing the 'media' button on the remote did nothing and 'data storage' (Settings>System) is greyed-out. In Web-If>browse media files, I can see the pseudo-HDR directory structure. Does anyone have any ideas?

How did you convert it to Ext2? The CF Telnet menu presumably.

I have not managed to make this work with a "32GB" UPD, possibly because it isn't quite 32GB.

Back