USB HDD Dropping Out

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
This is weird, I can't think of a reason for it, but I have observed that unplugging the Ethernet from my HD-FOX results in the USB HDD no longer working. It's not that a "USB device disconnected" comes up on screen, it just stops working until I reboot. Media stalls. Reconnecting the Ethernet doesn't fix it.

OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

Wouldn't you know it, after several occasions it did, I just tried it again and it didn't. Maybe I disturbed the adjacent USB connection at the same time.

OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

I'm having trouble with that HDD again, this time dropping out of its own accord. This might be connected with the current heatwave, and IIRC there was a heatwave at the end of May too (and it's in an attic room).

It's only a small, cheap, used drive sourced from eBay, apparently released (in bulk) when some organisation replaced a load of their laptop spinny disks with SSDs (it came packed in an SSD box) – so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised it hasn't lasted very long.

It's also being run inside a drive caddy without any cooling. I'll try taking the case off.

prpr

Are you sure it's not just a dry joint and one thing being disturbed affects the other? As I said elsewhere, I had terrible trouble with getting the USB to work on one particular HD.
What does the SMART say about the drive temp.?