USB HDD Dropping Out

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
This is weird, I can't think of a reason for it, but I have observed that unplugging the Ethernet from my HD-FOX results in the USB HDD no longer working. It's not that a "USB device disconnected" comes up on screen, it just stops working until I reboot. Media stalls. Reconnecting the Ethernet doesn't fix it.

Wouldn't you know it, after several occasions it did, I just tried it again and it didn't. Maybe I disturbed the adjacent USB connection at the same time.

I'm having trouble with that HDD again, this time dropping out of its own accord. This might be connected with the current heatwave, and IIRC there was a heatwave at the end of May too (and it's in an attic room).

It's only a small, cheap, used drive sourced from eBay, apparently released (in bulk) when some organisation replaced a load of their laptop spinny disks with SSDs (it came packed in an SSD box) – so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised it hasn't lasted very long.

It's also being run inside a drive caddy without any cooling. I'll try taking the case off.

Are you sure it's not just a dry joint and one thing being disturbed affects the other? As I said elsewhere, I had terrible trouble with getting the USB to work on one particular HD.
What does the SMART say about the drive temp.?

Good morning all.
Was there any consensus on the "Missing USB" problem - is it the Hummy or the HDD?
I'm now at the stage where half the time the Humax can't see the USB HDD. A re-boot usually fixes it, but that's no use if your recording hasn't worked.
I have a spare Fox-HD, so could try that, but don't want to erase my recordings (and I recall decrypting the disk looking a faff).

Was there any consensus on the "Missing USB" problem - is it the Hummy or the HDD?
I've not had any problem since I switched to a SSD, but the weather hasn't been so hot either.

I have a spare Fox-HD, so could try that, but don't want to erase my recordings (and I recall decrypting the disk looking a faff).
It's not such a faff now we have off-line decryption, but the best option for you would be to use CF to impose HD-FOX1's encryption key onto HD-FOX2.

Update.
Yesterday morning I got up to find that the fuse switch for our downstairs sockets had tripped. "Hmm" I thought as I un-tripped it, and carried on my day.
Then at 10pm I went to switch the news on (I like to prepare for bed with carnage) and the Hummy just sat there.
"Ah" I said, understanding the cause of the fuse trip and that my spare Hummy would be coming into action sooner rather than later.
I'm relaxed about losing my HD recordings now - my ladywife wonders if I've now spent enough evenings watching "Kay Perry at Glastonbury" with a lot of rum once everyone's gone to bed.

Let's hope my problems were indeed a failing Hummy (bought second hand in 2013 so I have no complaints about it and wish the current models had such a good reputation).

Just sat there doing what?
I'm not sure you can make the conclusions you do without more evidence.
You don't need to lose the recordings either. You just need to put a bit of effort in.

my spare Hummy would be coming into action sooner rather than later.
Not wishing to frighten you (not), but the spare HDR-FOX I had was no longer working when it came out of storage. Electronics doesn't necessarily store well, it's usually best to keep things in active use.

Not wishing to frighten you (not), but the spare HDR-FOX I had was no longer working when it came out of storage. Electronics doesn't necessarily store well, it's usually best to keep things in active use.
Working fine - once I found the setting for Chase Play so we can pause Live TV.
Fingers crossed - and if this one lasts 8 years I'll be delighted. Surely by 2030 they'll be beaming TV directly into our heads.

Actually, they are already ... along with radio, mobile phone and GPS.

You just don't have the appropriate receiver(s) in your skull, yet :)
We live about a mile from the Blaenplwyf transmitter in Wales, and I'm sure I know the plotlines of popular soaps and the football results without putting the TV on ...

You just don't have the appropriate receiver(s) in your skull, yet
Of course you do. They delivered that microchip in the Covid vaccine. Maybe that's the real cause of my hassles and nobody's really telling me the truth.

Back