USB Stick(s) not seen when trying to install CF

I bought a spare HDR-FOX T2 off eBay last year and never even unpacked until now. I've tried a couple of different USB sticks - one a 32GB and another 4GB - both formatted as FAT32 but it just boots up completely normally to TV and doesn't even seem to look for the USB sticks. I've tried them in the front port and also the rear one, it makes no difference.
It's several years since I've had to install the CF so I can't remember the capacity of the stick I have used previously - the Wiki page says smaller capacity drives seem to work better than larger but USB stick capacity has moved on so I'm wondering if that's the problem.
The software version on the first screen with Humax on is a7.31.
Has anyone else had trouble recently trying to install the CF and if not what capacity USB sticks still work?

the Wiki page says smaller capacity drives seem to work better than larger but USB stick capacity has moved on so I'm wondering if that's the problem.

I've used 128GB USB3 sticks as well as 1TB HDDs successfully to update the software.

When you see these fresh posts try out PRPR's suggestion first as there can be other factors

I bought a spare HDR-FOX T2 off eBay last year and never even unpacked until now. I've tried a couple of different USB sticks - one a 32GB and another 4GB - both formatted as FAT32 but it just boots up completely normally to TV and doesn't even seem to look for the USB sticks. I've tried them in the front port and also the rear one, it makes no difference.
It's several years since I've had to install the CF so I can't remember the capacity of the stick I have used previously - the Wiki page says smaller capacity drives seem to work better than larger but USB stick capacity has moved on so I'm wondering if that's the problem.
The software version on the first screen with Humax on is a7.31.
Has anyone else had trouble recently trying to install the CF and if not what capacity USB sticks still work?

The fundamental problem with UPD compatibility for detection at boot time seems to be whether they start up quickly enough. It might be possible to overcome this by routing the USB through a powered hub.

Have you given the unit a thorough check over? See HDR-FOX Commissioning, Disassembly, Repair (click).

Does anything work in either socket when the box is running normally?
The box sees USB sticks normally when running. A bit of background, I have already fitted the old HDD out of my old box which was running fine until I noticed there was a temperature warning on the display last night - I swapped the fan out of the unit I had bought of eBay but no difference - therefore I am assuming that the fan connector on the main board isn't working. I have therefore gone with the new unit assuming that the fan will work off of that mainboard. The new box start up normally - not in the factory reset state. Could having the old HDD fitted affect the USB update not being seen? (I wouldn't have thought so as I thought that the CF etc was all stored in flash).
20221022_095147.jpg
This is the information page from the new box - anything odd there at all?

Could having the old HDD fitted affect the USB update not being seen?
No

The box sees USB sticks normally when running.
Then it seems a sure-fire conclusion it's your UPDs not the unit itself causing the lack of boot update. You must, of course, ensure all the requirements re format and file name etc are adhered to.

I have already fitted the old HDD out of my old box which was running fine until I noticed there was a temperature warning on the display last night - I swapped the fan out of the unit I had bought of eBay but no difference - therefore I am assuming that the fan connector on the main board isn't working.
You can only know that for certain by carrying out the diagnostic tests in the thread linked above.

Last edited:
The box sees USB sticks normally when running.
You siad you read about the USB size on a wiki but have you checked the details in the NOtes section of that same wiki? You haven't said.
Also I have found that a full format on a new drive also can help.
There is also the name of the update file which needs to be checked. If you are using windows to check then you will need to take account of whether your windows is setup to hide the file extension or not hide the file extension.any hidden file extension.

I noticed there was a temperature warning on the display last night - I swapped the fan out of the unit I had bought of eBay but no difference - therefore I am assuming that the fan connector on the main board isn't working. I have therefore gone with the new unit assuming that the fan will work off of that mainboard. The new box start up normally - not in the factory reset state. Could having the old HDD fitted affect the USB update not being seen? (I wouldn't have thought so as I thought that the CF etc was all stored in flash).
View attachment 6357
This is the information page from the new box - anything odd there at all?
Nothing odd there but you haven't said if you have the fan package installed or not Neither have you said how you have checked whether the fan does sometimes turn on.

The Humax has always been picky about which USB drives it will recognise for updating the firmware,
the oldest and smallest tend to work better,
I use an old 4gb Music player - for some reason I can't get any of my USB sticks to work

By default the Humax doesn't turn the fan on until the disk reaches 55C the same temperature that the SMART statistics use as the temperature warning level so Every humax disk has had warnings until you install the fan package.

If he can plug the USB stick in the (presumably) non-spare HDR with CF, the output of ls -l /media/drive* from the command prompt would be useful to check.

No

Then it seems a sure-fire conclusion it's your UPDs not the unit itself causing the lack of boot update. You must, of course, ensure all the requirements re format and file name etc are adhered to.

You can only know that for certain by carrying out the diagnostic tests in the thread linked above.
Just been into Asda and bought a Kioxia 32GB USB3.2 stick and all good :) Thank-you everyone

My next question, is it possible to transfer all of the software packages / settings etc from my "old" box to the replacement?

Hmmm, now I am confused - are all of the packages / settings stored on the HDD as my new box appears the same as my old box when logged into (old box is unplugged and sitting on the table behind me)?

Last edited:
Of course they are. There's no room in the Flash for anything but the patches required and core utilities which have to run when the HDD isn't on line.
Ahhhh, in that case I think these settings are corrupted. I'll copy off my recordings and then format the HDD and start again as the fan doesn't work on the new unit either with the HDD from the old box.

are all of the packages / settings stored on the HDD
No. BH is wrong.
Most of the packages/settings are on the HD, but there are significant items that are stored in the flash.
Ahhhh, in that case I think these settings are corrupted. I'll copy off my recordings and then format the HDD and start again as the fan doesn't work on the new unit either with the HDD from the old box.
They're not corrupted. They're not existant in the new unit, because they're stored in the flash. Running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic will restore the files, but you'll need to re-enter the settings. Backing up and formatting the HDD is just a waste of time.

No. BH is wrong.
Most of the packages/settings are on the HD, but there are significant items that are stored in the flash.

They're not corrupted. They're not existant in the new unit, because they're stored in the flash. Running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic will restore the files, but you'll need to re-enter the settings. Backing up and formatting the HDD is just a waste of time.
I ran the fix-flash-packages and that sorted out most issues, the fan is now working on the new unit (with the old hard disk fitted) but in the System Monitor it says the Fan Is Off so something still not quite right. I would now like to start from scratch on the old unit (with the hard disk from the new unit - has some recordings from the previous owner but didn't have custom firmware installed) to see if there is actually nothing wrong with the fan on that one either. This unit has custom firmware installed but when I try to use the Factory Defaults (with Format HDD ticked), I enter the 0000 PIN but nothing happens. Is this because there is custom firmware installed?

I then looked on https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads2 (seen a previous thread regarding downloading issues) to download the official firmware https://tynecomp.co.uk/humax/HDR-FOXT2_1_03_12.zip but am getting a 404 Not Found error. Does anyone have this available?

I had gone into the Telnet menu and was going to use the RMA mode but at that point realised I didn't have the official firmware - hence the reason for asking.

Back