USB Stick(s) not seen when trying to install CF

I didn't say there weren't
I'm afraid you did, even if it wasn't exactly what was meant. The question was "are all of the packages/settings stored on the HDD", to which your answer was "Of course they are". The key word here is ALL. Everything, apart from the things that aren't, doesn't count as "all".
– but they're only what has to be in Flash, aren't they?
Well yes, because space is limited. If it doesn't need to be in the flash then it goes on the disk.

in the System Monitor it says the Fan Is Off
It's a long time since I've looked, but I believe that is normal.
to see if there is actually nothing wrong with the fan on that one either
I expect not!
This unit has custom firmware installed but when I try to use the Factory Defaults (with Format HDD ticked), I enter the 0000 PIN but nothing happens.
No idea. Is the PIN right? Does the same thing happen if you use a deliberately incorrect PIN?
Is this because there is custom firmware installed?
Probably not. There are sometimes issues formatting when modules of the CF packages are running, but you usually get a misleading message about the disk being too big. Anyway it's better to follow the instructions regarding formatting on the 2TB disk blog page on the Wiki.
I then looked on https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads2 (seen a previous thread regarding downloading issues) to download the official firmware https://tynecomp.co.uk/humax/HDR-FOXT2_1_03_12.zip but am getting a 404 Not Found error. Does anyone have this available?
Yes, but what are you hoping to achieve with it?
I had gone into the Telnet menu and was going to use the RMA mode but at that point realised I didn't have the official firmware
You don't need it to do RMA mode.

System Monitor it says the Fan Is Off
The System Monitor is LYING

It only knows the temperature reading and has no knowledge of whether the fan is off or running at 100%, it is taking the temperature and reporting what speed a normal Humax, without the Fan package, would be running the fan.

You are not the first to be misled by this.
I don't know who currently maintains Sysmon or if the source is available but really all references to fan speed should be removed

Provided over an extended period the temperature graph never enters the Red the fan package is doing it job and you can adjust the speed setting to achieve a comfortable balance between background noise and disk temperature.

The System Monitor is LYING

It only knows the temperature reading and has no knowledge of whether the fan is off or running at 100%, it is taking the temperature and reporting what speed a normal Humax, without the Fan package, would be running the fan.

You are not the first to be misled by this.
I don't know who currently maintains Sysmon or if the source is available but really all references to fan speed should be removed

Provided over an extended period the temperature graph never enters the Red the fan package is doing it job and you can adjust the speed setting to achieve a comfortable balance between background noise and disk temperature.
Thank-you :) - that's saved a wasted hour or so. I will try a completely fresh install on the "new" box and save some screen shots of all of my current settings from my "old" box so I can replicate it.

It's a long time since I've looked, but I believe that is normal.

I expect not!

No idea. Is the PIN right? Does the same thing happen if you use a deliberately incorrect PIN?

Probably not. There are sometimes issues formatting when modules of the CF packages are running, but you usually get a misleading message about the disk being too big. Anyway it's better to follow the instructions regarding formatting on the 2TB disk blog page on the Wiki.

Yes, but what are you hoping to achieve with it?

You don't need it to do RMA mode.
I was mainly wondering if the CF stopped the "Factory Default" option from working. So was going to re-install the official firmware to see if the option would then work. If you could post the official HDR-FOX2T_1.03.12 firmware that would be ideal - just in case.
I'll have a look at the blog page - does that also apply to the stock 500GB HDD?

Yeah, sorry, I discovered that when I read back. What if you try the original downloads page?

In any case, you have no real need for the original Humax firmware, the CF version has never been reported to have broken anything.
Yeah, no matter - the link doesn't work on the original page either. The only reason I thought I might need it was so I could format the HDD using the Menu in the standard GUI. I got a disk too big error when trying to format the standard 500GB drive which is fairly common after reading some threads. I therefore just used the format option in the Maintenance menu and so as you say I don't actually need the Official Firmware.

I got a disk too big error when trying to format the standard 500GB drive which is fairly common after reading some threads.
From Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click), FAQs:
I'm trying to reformat the hard disk, but it says it's too big

This is a side-effect of the custom firmware running in the background. The standard Humax firmware, having been instructed to reformat the HDD through the menus, finds it cannot unmount the hard drive volumes (because of CF activity), but was not programmed to expect such a thing and presents a misleading* error message...
Click through for the solution.

Nobody, so probably me.

Source to what? It all seems to be text script.

Not quite sure I understand. What else would you put??

I would suggest a simple change of the key text from
1666649745326.png
to
= 55°C, 54°C-52°C, 51°C-50°C, < 50°C

A more complex change would be to use broader temperature bands, unrelated to the fan speed or just have two colours Red >=55 and Green < 55

I would suggest a simple change of the key text from
View attachment 6361
to

A more complex change would be to use broader temperature bands, unrelated to the fan speed or just have two colours Red >=55 and Green < 55
I'm not on board with that.

The original intention was to mimic the fan operation, which it does as standard. All it really needs is a footnote to say that the colour bands predict fan operation and are not actual operation. Actually, I would prefer a second y-t plot to represent "predicted fan percentage" (rather than blocks of colour), with a second y scale on the auxiliary axis.

The fan package broke the fan monitoring in sysmon, that's what needs fixing.

Back