User's Manual

Kathleen Batlle

I've just had a new Foxsat-hdr installed and am gradually getting used to it, but am having problems understanding the manual. For example, somehow I managed to press the record button while ITV afternoon news was on, which I really didn't want to record at all. When I eventually found a way to delete recorded programmes, I pressed the 'delete' button and a message came up saying that I couldn't delete the programme as it is 'protected'. Nowhere in the manual can I find where it says that some programmes are protected. What on earth have I done? Also, while a programme is being recorded a whole lot of my channels are listed in a faint letters, none of which I can watch while there is a recording going on. Please forgive me, but I'm not very au fait with this forum and hope I haven't done something wrong!

Press the Media button which should bring up a list of your recordings.

Use the cursor up and down buttons to highlight the recording you are having a problem with. If there is a symbol which looks like a dustbin with a No Entry sign overlaid by it then that shows it is protected (and cannot be accidentally deleted).

Press OK: This will open a sub-menu, one of which is Protect/Release.

Press OK on that. It ask you for your four digit Password (if you have not changed that then the default is either 0000 or 1234 I think).

You should now be able to delete the recording.

Hi Gomezz, Thanks so much for your help. At last I've managed to delete it. I'll be back if I have any more problems. This forum is more useful than the manual, that's for sure! Thanks again.

I'm very happy to have one problem solved, thanks, but now I've got another one ..... When recording is taking place, I don't understand why so many other channels are out of reach. In the list a lot of channels many of them appear in light image and it's just not possible to access these channels. There are a few channels in bold, mostly HD, which are accessible, but I thought I'd be able to watch all channels while the machine is recording. Maybe I've pressed something which I shouldn't have done, I just don't know and can't find anything relating to this in the manual. Sorry to be a pain. I'm delighted to be rid of the Sky contract as I'm a pensioner, but am finding the Humax much more difficult to understand than the Sky +.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

I'm very happy to have one problem solved, thanks, but now I've got another one ..... When recording is taking place, I don't understand why so many other channels are out of reach. In the list a lot of channels many of them appear in light image and it's just not possible to access these channels. There are a few channels in bold, mostly HD, which are accessible, but I thought I'd be able to watch all channels while the machine is recording. Maybe I've pressed something which I shouldn't have done, I just don't know and can't find anything relating to this in the manual. Sorry to be a pain. I'm delighted to be rid of the Sky contract as I'm a pensioner, but am finding the Humax much more difficult to understand than the Sky +.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Sounds as if the box is in single cable mode. Have a squint round the back, are there two cables connected to the two outer sockets with nothing on the middle one or is there just one ?. You should be able to record one and watch and record/watch any other. In addition while recording two there will be some 3rd channels you can watch as well.

Thanks for your prompt reply. At the back of the box there are 2 cables connected, with another one in the middle which has no cable. I mean there are 3 little stumps on the extreme right hand side and my two cables are connected one either side with an empty one in the middle. The sky + box had two cables connected and I think my tv man connected them correctly, but maybe he didn't. I should explain that I'm in Spain, but I bought the Humax online by mail order. The 2 Spanish technicians who came to set it up for me seemed to know what they were doing and up to now everything has been ok. It's just the recording mode I can't seem to get the hang of.

Thanks for your prompt reply. At the back of the box there are 2 cables connected, with another one in the middle which has no cable. I mean there are 3 little stumps on the extreme right hand side and my two cables are connected one either side with an empty one in the middle. The sky + box had two cables connected and I think my tv man connected them correctly, but maybe he didn't. I should explain that I'm in Spain, but I bought the Humax online by mail order. The 2 Spanish technicians who came to set it up for me seemed to know what they were doing and up to now everything has been ok. It's just the recording mode I can't seem to get the hang of.

Right, goto Menu/System/Diagnostics. What signal strength and quality does it say for both tuners ? Now open the Setup menu and press in succession RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW BLUE (don't look at the screen). You should now have a hidden menu on your TV. What does Connection Type say ? It should be TwoCables(same) and Antenna Setting should be Fixed Antenna.
Can you then goto channel 999 in the epg and repeat the Menu/System/Diagnostics check.

Post the answers so I can see what's going on.

Wow - I managed the first bit ok Menu/System/Diagnostics. Tuner 1 said: Strength 40% Quality 80%. Tuner 2 said: Strength 100% Quality 80%.
When I went to Setup menu it listed Freesat tune, Manual tune, Software update and Factory reset and I didn't know which one I should choose, so I tried the first one and nothing happened when I pressed the succession of coloured buttons, so now what have I done wrong? Thanks for helping me.

Wow - I managed the first bit ok Menu/System/Diagnostics. Tuner 1 said: Strength 40% Quality 80%. Tuner 2 said: Strength 100% Quality 80%.
When I went to Setup menu it listed Freesat tune, Manual tune, Software update and Factory reset and I didn't know which one I should choose, so I tried the first one and nothing happened when I pressed the succession of coloured buttons, so now what have I done wrong? Thanks for helping me.

Odd tuner 1 is a lower signal than tuner 2.

When you open up the settings menu (press right) the top option will normally be highlighted. at this point press the coloured buttons one after the other. A second menu should open up. Manual Setup. Choose antenna setting.

What result did you get when you tuned to channel 999 ?

I've found the settings menu and the 'tv setup' is highlighted, but when I pressed the succession of coloured buttons nothing happened.

I've found the settings menu and the 'tv setup' is highlighted, but when I pressed the succession of coloured buttons nothing happened.

You have to press the buttons quite quickly (its the coloured buttons all in a row). Open the flap and point the remote at the box directly. Make sure you remove the protective film from under the flap. You should get a Manual Setup menu, choose the top option (Antenna Setting).

With box on normally, press the schedule button on the remote and then the red to get an instant epg. Scroll to channel 999 and press OK. Check the sig strength and quality using diagnostics. (This is the Freesat home transponder and need to check you have access.

I've just managed to remove the film (didn't know it was there!) but can't find a flap. Pressed all the buttons again and still nothing has happened. Where is the flap? Does it go the full length of the box?

On my box to get the hidden menu: Menu >> down button twice to Settings >> Rt button >> Freesat Tune >> Red Green Yellow Blue Green Yellow Blue >> Antenna Setting >> OK

Hi, my box seems to be a bit different. It's obviously very new and the picture is brilliant, brighter than the sky + box. I'm just having teething problems. I guess I'll get the hang of it in the end, but the manual is no use whatsoever. I've obviously pressed the 'series' button, so am getting ITV news every day at the same time. There's nothing in the book about series links, so I've no idea how to delete it. Wow, very frustrating! I didn't even want it once, never mind every day at the same time - merrily blocking off any other channel I want to watch. Oh well, happy days! When it's not recording I have access to all the channels, which is ok really.

Right - I'm on the Freesat information service now and pressed the red button - now what do I do?

No idea why you can't get the Antenna Settings menu up.

No need to press the red button, Menu System Diagnostics and post signal strength and quality.

After this tune to BBC1-HD and press the record button, tune to BBC-HD and press the record button again. Tune to any other channel and test if you can pause it live. If you can't somethings wrong.

Press the square button to stop the recordings.

If this doesnt work then Menu Setup Factory Reset (pin is 0000). Enter your chosen postcode and watch for the two cables found message. Note when setting a recording from the epg use OK not the red record button.

Hi, my box seems to be a bit different. It's obviously very new and the picture is brilliant, brighter than the sky + box. I'm just having teething problems. I guess I'll get the hang of it in the end, but the manual is no use whatsoever. I've obviously pressed the 'series' button, so am getting ITV news every day at the same time. There's nothing in the book about series links, so I've no idea how to delete it. Wow, very frustrating! I didn't even want it once, never mind every day at the same time - merrily blocking off any other channel I want to watch. Oh well, happy days! When it's not recording I have access to all the channels, which is ok really.

Press the schedule button, cursor to the recording, press opt+ and choose delete. If recording a single channel stops you viewing anything else somethings wrong - see the post above.

I pressed the schedule button plus opt+ and managed to delete it there. However, when I pressed the media button to see what's on the list of recorded programmes, there it is again - ITV1 news and weather - but I won't know if it's gone until tomorrow. Anyway, thanks to you all I've learned an awful lot today and will worry about the rest tomorrow if it chooses to keep on recording the news for me. Thanks so much everyone. I just wish the manual was more helpful - thumbs down Humax!

I pressed the schedule button plus opt+ and managed to delete it there. However, when I pressed the media button to see what's on the list of recorded programmes, there it is again - ITV1 news and weather - but I won't know if it's gone until tomorrow. Anyway, thanks to you all I've learned an awful lot today and will worry about the rest tomorrow if it chooses to keep on recording the news for me. Thanks so much everyone. I just wish the manual was more helpful - thumbs down Humax!

The media button displays stuff you have already recorded not what is going to record. Cursor to a recording, press OK, delete is the 3rd option down.

Back