Using HD-Fox T2 without an aerial

farrow

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting hold of a HD-Fox T2 to stream content from my HDR-Fox T2 to a room with no aerial.

Will the HD-Fox operate ok without an aerial signal, or is there something like a pop-up that would prevent access to the media?

Many thanks.

Not done it myself, but it should be fine. You have to tune some TV channels in before you move the box or it will constantly keep warning you about no channels being tuned. But once you have done this it is ok: on a channel it will just say that the channel is scrambled or too weak but will be fine with playing media. Without an aerial plugged in it won't know the time, but I think that if you install the custom firmware and the ntpclient package it will update the time from an internet server.

Thank you for your reassuring replies folks. :cool:

I was looking at putting the custom firmware on the HD-Fox (despite not doing so on my HDR-Fox) to have better access to content when streaming, so will look at installing the ntp client.

All I need to do now is track a unit down. :)

Thanks again!

Black Hole's Things Every... Footnote said:
Provide an alternative source of system time for operating without an aerial connection
@Black Hole. Was I correct in telling the OP that installing the custom firmware with the NTPclient package will keep the system time updated without an aerial connected? Having read section six of your guide, and then the footnote has confirmed that such a thing is possible but does not specify how this achieved.

I've finally been able to get hold of a HD-Fox. Could I please quickly ask a config question before I get going?

The HD-Fox will be exclusively used to stream SD content from a HDR-Fox.

Among the numerous posts I've read, I recall that the streaming function is much better on the HD-Fox if the custom firmware is installed.

Would there be any benefits available if the CF were only installed on the HD-Fox, or would these only be realised if it were installed at both ends?

(My apprehension of installing on the HDR-Fox is due to an extended warranty.)

Streaming recorded content by the native DLNA function is adequate, and an early bug in that streamed recordings would not get past the 4GB point has been corrected in later standard firmware. On the HDR-FOX enable content sharing (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On), and on the HD-FOX use Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network to access the HDR's content.

Playback of recordings using CF enhancements is achieved using network file access rather than streaming, and means you can manage the recordings as if they were local (bookmarks, fast forward and rewind, resume where playback last stopped, move, delete, etc), but it does require CF at both ends (to enable network file access and also to decrypt the content - which is essential for this means of access but not for DLNA streaming). The original motivation for network file access was to sidestep the 4GB bug, but the additional facilities are quite handy.

There is no need to be concerned about warranty - although caution was appropriate a couple of years ago, we have never yet heard of a case where the CF could not be removed and the unit restored to factory condition.

@Farrow. Even without custom firmware you are not limited to standard definition content. The HD-FOX can play high def. content streamed from a HDR-FOX by DLNA.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that guys.

We have been using VLC to stream content, but have found it quite temperamental sometimes - hence the purchase of the HD-Fox.

I was (naively) thinking that the improved streaming would be available if just the HD-Fox was 'upgraded', but then started to doubt this.

The reason for mentioning SD rather than HD was that we don't tend to record many/any programmes in HD.

I guess I'm going to be busy over the next few days! :)

Adding the CF to the HDR-Fox seems pretty straightforward. Could I please check that to run the CF on the HD-Fox via a UPD, the Telnet process is still the way to go? Or can I just format to Ext2 (with something like GParted) as seems to be suggested in the wiki?

(sorry had to remove links as I'm a newbie)

Could I please check that to run the CF on the HD-Fox via a UPD, the Telnet process is still the way to go? Or can I just format to Ext2 (with something like GParted) as seems to be suggested in the wiki?
Either, it just might be more convenient to start with FAT32 and convert to Ext2 using the tools provided via Telnet.

You will need to decrypt any content you intend to access by network file sharing. The usual way to do this is to decrypt everything that is recorded, automatically (and to decrypt everything that is already recorded). See Things Every... (click) section 5 for details (follow the link from there - you probably want Method 2).

Initial decryption of your library could take several days; new recordings will be visible but not playable until the DLNA indexer has listed it (a necessary condition for decryption) and the CF process has decrypted it.

Thanks for the heads up BH. I'm just waiting for the HDR to finish recording, and then I'll crack on! :)

Right all the installing is done, and I've added the NTPclient package to the HD-Fox.

Before I set the 'recursive auto-decrypt' going, I presume the process won't affect the operation of the HDR-Fox (i.e. it can still record, playback etc)? There's around 100GB of recordings so may take a while. ;)

You'll probably find that it will be a bit sluggish when navigating through programmes in the media folder, but everything will still work. Check that the DLNA server is switched on and the automatic shutdown feature is turned off on the HDR-FOX: 100 GB will take a few hours to decrypt.

Back