Using more than 1 Humax box in the same room

Any further ideas before I go and bang my head on another wall...................???
What can I say? It's a knack. First, there's no need to worry about the state of the Humax itself, it will respond when the handset gets into the right state - you just haven't got there yet.

The key (possibly) is that if your OK button is knackered (many are), the handset might not register a continuous press. When you hold OK continuously, does the PVR button light continuously, or only flash? It needs to light continuously. If it is only flashing, you need to repair the handset contacts - see the HD/HDR-FOX wiki HERE (click). (The HDR-FOX does not respond to a long press on OK, only short presses.)

Once the handset passes the test, try to get it into channel change mode in another room (away from the Humax). This is what works: press "0" then "OK"*, holding both down together until the PVR button lights up continuously (the PVR button lights up briefly when "0" is pressed, but then extinguishes when "OK" is pressed until it lights up again to signal entry into channel change mode). Press EXIT to cancel.

* The instructions published in post 1 say "0" and "OK" together, but "0" slightly before "OK" works better than "0" slightly after "OK".

When you have rehearsed the process, trying it in view of the Humax with only one box powered up (disconnect the other from the mains) will produce an on-screen message "you can change the remote control mode...", also telling you what the current mode (control channel) is. Release the handset buttons, then press one of "1" to "6" to select a new channel. Changing the control channel will dedicate the handset to that particular Humax box (or at least any Humax boxes operating on the same - new - channel number).

I have uploaded a video of this process so you can see how it works (if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth millions):

NB: When viewed on my Windows PC, this video has captions. When viewed on my iPad, the captions are missing.

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with changing mine as well. I got it to change eventually by repeatedly trying the documented procedure.

Many thanks to Black Hole for his last post with respect to practicing with the handset out of the room and clarifying the position with PVR indicator illumination. I knew that one of the remotes was rather intermittent with the OK button but didn't realise how bad it was. I had already planned to disassemble and "treat" it with action as detailed in the Wiki at some time in the near future. So I have now managed to change the frequency of the better handset and PVR pair and all is now working okay. However, a small point of detail that differed to published instructions that I found during this procedure was that I didn't get a confirmation message of change on screen, the original message stayed there and eventually went away. I then found that the remote didn't work with the box so I powered off from the front panel and powered up again with the front panel button and all then worked okay.

Good news.

However, a small point of detail that differed to published instructions that I found during this procedure was that I didn't get a confirmation message of change on screen, the original message stayed there and eventually went away. I then found that the remote didn't work with the box so I powered off from the front panel and powered up again with the front panel button and all then worked okay.
That is unusual. Something went wrong but the reboot cleared it.

Old thread but now having given up on Virgin and resurrecting my freesat and freeview hummies this info has solved my problem, I can now do away with having to keep a piece of card in front of the box I didn't want to turn on /off.

Many thanks

Back