Using the time-shift buffer to record whole programme after it has started

Davey

Hello,

My last box had a neat function whereby if I was part way through watching a programme and decided I wanted to keep the whole thing, provided I hadn't changed channel, I could simply press record. What was saved would be the recording of the whole programme. It would presumably just save what was on the time-shift file from the start of the programme, and continue recording until the end.

Does anyone know if the Foxsat HDR can do this, and if so how?

Thanks a lot.

The HDR-FOX records from the point you are watching, so by winding back the time-shift to the point you want to start and then press record, you get much the same thing. Maybe Foxsat is the same?

(BTW, don't worry if the playback jumps to the live feed - this happens on the HDR-FOX while the recording capture is sucking up the content in the time-shift buffer.)

You can't record the timeshift buffer on a Foxsat-hdr other than a very roundabout method. ie Using the CF copy the time shift buffer file 0.ts to a PC. 0.ts is not encrypted even for HD content.

The HDR-FOX records from the point you are watching, so by winding back the time-shift to the point you want to start and then press record, you get much the same thing. Maybe Foxsat is the same?

(BTW, don't worry if the playback jumps to the live feed - this happens on the HDR-FOX while the recording capture is sucking up the content in the time-shift buffer.)

Yeah, that doesn't work on the Foxsat I'm afraid.

You can't record the timeshift buffer on a Foxsat-hdr other than a very roundabout method. ie Using the CF copy the time shift buffer file 0.ts to a PC. 0.ts is not encrypted even for HD content.

A bit too complicated. It's a shame it can't do this as other boxes do as it's a great receiver.

A bit too complicated. It's a shame it can't do this as other boxes do as it's a great receiver.

It sounds like a good candidate for an extension package. How difficult would it be to copy the 0.ts file and leave it as a recording?

Copying it is simple. It is simply a large file with a size designed for about 3 hours of HD.
The problem is it is a wrap around buffer - so knowing where your programme starts and finishes is a problem.
Also after the end of the program working out what the programme details are could be a problem as the now and next details have changed.

Copying it is simple. It is simply a large file with a size designed for about 3 hours of HD.
The problem is it is a wrap around buffer - so knowing where your programme starts and finishes is a problem.
Also after the end of the program working out what the programme details are could be a problem as the now and next details have changed.

I don't know if this is sacrilegious on this board or not, but my last receiver was a Topfield TF-5800 which I had for many years!! The firmware I ran on it appeared to do this no problem. I didn't realise the Humax receivers were similarly flexible until browsing through this site. I wish I knew how to write computer programs, so I could sort this myself!! Thanks for your replies anyway!

I don't know if this is sacrilegious on this board or not, but my last receiver was a Topfield TF-5800 which I had for many years!! The firmware I ran on it appeared to do this no problem. I didn't realise the Humax receivers were similarly flexible until browsing through this site. I wish I knew how to write computer programs, so I could sort this myself!! Thanks for your replies anyway!
There are many members here that also have, or used to have Toppy's. I still have two in everyday use for all of my SD recordings, whilst my HDR-FOX T2's take care of all my HD recordings.:)

You can include me in the Toppy 5800 list. I still have one though it doesn't get much use these days. Much easier to write custom applications for the Topfields because the makers fully documented the software thus allowing almost limitless ways of using the info to build what we would now call apps, and provided an easy way for non techy user to use these (TAPS). Even included games and recording all the content in a single mux at once :). Mind you affordable HDD sizes at the time kind of made it a curiosity. Imagine recording BBC1-HD, BBC2-HD, ITV-HD , CH4-HD and BBC 3-HD all at the same time using only 1 tuner :eek:

I have two 5810's but both are up in the loft. Wrapped up nice and warm. Just cant part with them!

I would settle for just copying it and preserving it. Buffer#yyyymmddhhmm will do as the program details, and no information for all else, with a faked date and time. I could then FTP to a PC and edit it the way I want. :)

The 0.nts is a sidecar file! It will contain the pointers which define the current read/write points in the 0.ts buffer.

Unfortunately this is something that can be done on a FoxsatHDR but not a HDR-FOX. On a HDR-FOX the 0.ts is encrypted with no way to decrypt it - other than to use the on-box facilities to wind back the live play and hit record.

Unfortunately this is something that can be done on a FoxsatHDR but not a HDR-FOX. On a HDR-FOX the 0.ts is encrypted with no way to decrypt it - other than to use the on-box facilities to wind back the live play and hit record.
Drutt's Nicesplice tool (HDR T2) can salvage recordings from the time shift buffer, even after changing channel to some extent. I haven't integrated anything into the web interface for this though... yet.

Back