Very Large Internal Hard Disk, over 4TB

OK so it seems that a 4TB drive is the Max at the moment. It gives 3147GB usable space as shown in the TV browser.

So my options.
1. See if anyone can figure out why its limited to this, as the TV browser does see the 10,000GB just partitions it down to 1,000.
2. Downgrade to a 4TB drive and live with lifes limits.
3. Try and create a NTFS partition and get it available as a virtual folder, not sure if anyone has tried this.
4. Since partitioning it at 7.1TB shows up as the max 3146GB in the TV browser it will show as 7.1TB in the webif. So maybe if I connect it to a linux machine to populate the drive it will still show as have 3146G free. Or maybe a another combination of total added file plus empty space.

Any thoughts welcome. Many thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Does the wrong display on the TV matter? As in, once it's shown as full does it stop recording?
I can look at the code to see if I can find why there's a limit but it will be a slow process unfortunately.

Does the wrong display on the TV matter? As in, once it's shown as full does it stop recording?
I can look at the code to see if I can find why there's a limit but it will be a slow process unfortunately
Can you do a man-in-the-middle to limit the numbers returned from the space queries?
It's obviously got a 4TB limit, so everything comes out modulo 4TB.

Can you do a man-in-the-middle to limit the numbers returned from the space queries?
It's obviously got a 4TB limit, so everything comes out modulo 4TB.
Possibly, since it is likely using ioctl() to get the values. I'll have a look, the code should be fairly straightforward to find too. I'm just installing the latest version of radare2!

Would is be possible to have 2x 4 TB partitions on the same drive?

Then have one to record new things to and the other as an archive for older recordings? Maybe have sweeper move movies over to the archive automatically?

EDIT: just seen that free30 already mentioned this...

Would is be possible to have 2x 4 TB partitions on the same drive?

Then have one to record new things to and the other as an archive for older recordings? Maybe have sweeper move movies over to the archive automatically?

EDIT: just seen that free30 already mentioned this...
I haven't tried although I'll give it a go once I get a chance. I think the HDR will only work with the 3 partitions it expects.

Last edited:
I haven't tried although I'll give it a go once I get a chance. I think the HDR will on ly work with the 3 partitions it expects.
I think you are right, but a fudge should be possible. A current package, mvdisks, allows external drives to be mounted within 'My Video' so that the recordings are indexed by the DLNA server. If, for example, an extra partition (hd4) were created, the Humax software would likely ignore it but it would be accessible to the underlying OS. Presumably this partition could then be mounted under 'My Video' or if this were not possible due to the drive size limit it could be mounted as an external USB drive, but with the advantage of SATA II access speed.

Ok so it seems to work in a way. I guess because of the 'protective MBR partition'

I edited this line into the code I posted before.
Code:
sgdisk --new=1:0:+1G --new=2:0:-6T --new=3:0:+10G --new=4:0:+3T --new=5:0:+2980G /dev/sda
and the formatted sda4 and 5 the same way as sad2.

So it boots OK. sees the 4gb partition at the begin and seems ok.
Webif browser I can go to /mnt and there seems to be at least one for the new partitions.

I installed Mvdisks but can't seem to get it to see anything, think I need to reboot but I want to record for the next hour, so will see later what I can get it to do.

Also I'm in two minds as to populate if af123 might still be able to allow one major partition with a "man-in-the-middle to limit"
Possibly, since it is likely using ioctl() to get the values. I'll have a look, the code should be fairly straightforward to find too. I'm just installing the latest version of radare2!

I will report back either way.

Ok so it seems to work in a way. I guess because of the 'protective MBR partition'

I edited this line into the code I posted before.
Code:
sgdisk --new=1:0:+1G --new=2:0:-6T --new=3:0:+10G --new=4:0:+3T --new=5:0:+2980G /dev/sda
and the formatted sda4 and 5 the same way as sad2.

So it boots OK. sees the 4gb partition at the begin and seems ok.
Webif browser I can go to /mnt and there seems to be at least one for the new partitions.

I installed Mvdisks but can't seem to get it to see anything, think I need to reboot but I want to record for the next hour, so will see later what I can get it to do.

Also I'm in two minds as to populate if af123 might still be able to allow one major partition with a "man-in-the-middle to limit"

I will report back either way.
Sorry if I misled you, mvdisks will not work in your situation. I was just illustrating the fact that it is possible to mount one drive within another automatically. You could do some testing from the command line: for example create a folder in the extra partition and link it to 'My Video' to make it accessible. I think you may still fall foul of the apparent size limit, in that it will probably add the contents of the linked folder to the those of 'My Video'. I think mounting the extra partition as a USB drive is more likely to work, but af123 would need to make a few changes to make this happen.

It seems to me that limitations in the Humax code will keep surfacing however the extra capacity is included in the My Video volume (which is not to say we should try). Making the extra capacity available as if a separate drive should be least problematic.

You could do some testing from the command line: for example create a folder in the extra partition and link it to 'My Video' to make it accessible.
Beyond my skill to figure out alone. Will happily follow any instructions for testing though.

Is the other partition visible if you press the blue button with "my video" - like you would press to view an external usb drive?

Might be worth trying that with and without some kind of USB storage connected as the Humax might need to detect a device in order to show any extra storage.

Is the other partition visible if you press the blue button with "my video" - like you would press to view an external usb drive?

Might be worth trying that with and without some kind of USB storage connected as the Humax might need to detect a device in order to show any extra storage.
No either way it doesn't show the extra partitions. Thanks though.

Last edited:
It's a wiki. You could, if you wanted, register and update it yourself. However, to bring it to the relevant attention, the "you" in question are probably af123, Ezra Pound.

I still hope to be able to solve this - I just need a few more round tuits (and less paid work, although I'm not complaining!)

Back