Vi, or Some Other Editor?

I think you are referring to something af123 said. I have seen it in programmers editors in Windows, and I'm sure the non-programmers wouldn't want to be confused by it.

Can the syntax highlighting be turned off (preferably by default)? Confusing for people used to Notepad.

That's what I was referring to. I assumed it was your problem because of the reference to difficulties with notepad, which I read as a personal issue.

Out of interest, what would happen if there was any HTML or script content in the files? It would be a shame to have created a vulnerability (albeit unlikely) by implementing this feature.

In general it is safe because it is injecting the file's text into a textarea using javascript but there are some potential injection attacks that might work even so which I need to test. I don't think it's a great risk given the steps necessary to exploit it and the environment.

Adding a general text editor did concern me slightly but almost all of the filesystem is read-only so the damage that an attacker could do is limited and most people won't be exposing this to the Internet without at least encryption and password protection.

The good news is that vim honours the HOME environment variable.
The bad news is that I just tried to put "syntax off" in ~/.vimrc and if barfed with an error, stating that is not available for this version.

There are two versions of the vim package - tiny and standard - which one have you got?

FYI I have compiled Joe (Joes own editor) for the box as its compact, and does not depend on much at all. i also tried nano, but gave up due to dependancy issues.

I would send the file over to af123 - but it would probably be just as easy to recompile it (or if you do want it hows best to get it to you?)

Who - me? I don't need it. This topic arose because I was commenting how intractable vi would be for a newcomer to Linux, that I have to consult a crib sheet every time, and threatening to make one available here.

af's editor tool on the WebIF solves the issues as far as I can see. I might try joe in preference to vi if it is made available as a package if I happen to need it, and I will still get around to putting a vi crib sheet up.

joe and nano are already in the package repository thanks to xyz321. You need to show all packages to see them.

The Custom Firmware package now has a choice of 6 (4 really) Text Editors, available as either Built-In, or Add-on packages :-
File Editor ... A GUI based editor built into the WebIf
Vi ... Built into BusyBox
Vim Basic ... Installable package
Vim Standard ... Installable package
Joe ... Installable package
Nano ... Installable package

Take your pick

...Since nano uses ctrl-X for save it would be much easier to explain to novice users since it is on-screen and is a single command. The likes of emacs and joe use ^x c and ^k x respectively.

It's easy really:

from usenet some years ago said:
*********************************************************************** * I think I’ve got the hang of it now: exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, * F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, * stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt, abort, hangup, * PF4, F20, ^X^X, : D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e, kill -1 $$, shutdown, * init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, … * … “Are you sure?” … YES … Phew … I’m out ***********************************************************************

Night night.

Back