VLC able to decrypt HD files

kjhskj75

VLC on an Amazon Fire Stick seems to be able to play (via DLNA)
encrypted HD files from a FOX-T2.

I thought only another FOX-T2 was able to do this.

Is this behaviour known ?

I think VLC on Android may be able to do this as well, it's just
my phone isn't powerful enough.

It is not the case that only an HD-FOX will ever be able to do this, just that we have not (so far) been aware of anything else that can.

There are a couple of possibilities:

1. You have used custom firmware (or other means) to "unprotect" the HiDef recordings. See Things Every... (click) section 5, and follow the links.

2. The Amazon Fire Stick is able to negotiate protected delivery - see Glossary (click), entry DTCP.

If the latter, then your Android VLC will not be able to stream HiDef recordings, because it cannot verify there is no means to capture the stream.

I don't recollect it being reported previously. The issue with playing isn't encryption so much as support for DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protocol) that is required. A quick google suggests the Amazon Fire Stick may support DTCP; if that is the case then it it is the Fire Stick doing the magic not VLC. Can anyone else replicate this?

Presumably it only negotiates DTCP once it has established HDCP across the HDMI to the TV.

Is the Fire Stick still working for you? Bit annoyed the FVP-5000T doesn't advertise that only SD content is streamable via DLNA, slightly misleading I think. Hoping the Fire Stick may work though...

It is not the case that only an HD-FOX will ever be able to do this, just that we have not (so far) been aware of anything else that can.

There are a couple of possibilities:

1. You have used custom firmware (or other means) to "unprotect" the HiDef recordings. See Things Every... (click) section 5, and follow the links.

2. The Amazon Fire Stick is able to negotiate protected delivery - see Glossary (click), entry DTCP.

If the latter, then your Android VLC will not be able to stream HiDef recordings, because it cannot verify there is no means to capture the stream.

Searched and searched... Any news on any other DTCP clients that work? Bit annoyed the FVP-5000T doesn't advertise that only SD content is streamable via DLNA, slightly misleading I think.

only SD content is streamable via DLNA
Not necessarily true, you just have to provide the right circumstances. Any device able to display content streamed by DLNA and verifiably unable to store the stream ought to be able to negotiate protected delivery (eg a "smart" TV). If a manufacturer has provided DLNA client capability without protected delivery, they've not lived up to the DLNA badging.

I'm pretty confident you would be able to stream HiDef to another Humax device.

Not necessarily true, you just have to provide the right circumstances. Any device able to display content streamed by DLNA and verifiably unable to store the stream ought to be able to negotiate protected delivery (eg a "smart" TV). If a manufacturer has provided DLNA client capability without protected delivery, they've not lived up to the DLNA badging.

I'm pretty confident you would be able to stream HiDef to another Humax device.

Thanks for the quick response... I get you, my 2018 LG and Roku stick 4K streams HD content recorded by a HD HomeRun (network Freeview tuner, without any transcoding), but neither will stream from the FVP-5000T so guess the DTCP-IP is stopping it...

Hi, just tried a new Fire stick and no luck... Does it still work for you and what Fire Stick do you have? thanks!

Yes it still works for me - most of the time. But there are strange failures sometimes.

It works with the native DLNA server on a Fox-T2, SD and HD, decrypted and undecrypted.

But with Mediatomb and Twonky on a Foxsat HDR then it works with SD, but not HD. It's not a permissions thing,
it works for a few seconds and then freezes.

I use a Firestick 4K and a HDR Fox T2 and my two pence worth is:

Yes, VLC will play encrypted HD via DLNA but you lose the ffwd/rwd functions and the picture to me appears choppy (as if frames are being dropped) plus the audio is slightly out of sync.

I have tried numerous DLNA players on the Firestick and they either: don't work in conjunction with the HDR Fox T2, won't play the DVB subs, start but then freeze or lose the ffwd/rwd function. I have even tried decrypting things and changing the container to MKV and it makes no difference.

If you want to play stuff through a Firestick without any flaffing about the best solution I have found is Archos Video player on the Firestick with MX player as the actual player within Archos. I use this a lot because the DVB subs do not go out of sync whereas they do/can if watching the programme direct on the Fox. You can also ffwd/rwd. (You MUST change the decoder within MX player to 'SW' else it won't work, the TS files will just freeze.)

Back