VLC streamer setup for iPhone

Jonno

Hi all

I'm trying to stream programmes from my HDR t2 running latest CF to my iPhone. I can do this wirelessly to my laptop running Firefox with VLC plugin.
I have installed VLC streamer on my iPhone but unsure how to set VLC stresmer up. I entered the IP Address but it requires a port number. I tried the default and ports 80 & 22 but no connection made.

Can someone please advise how to set up IPhone connection to HDR T2 ideally with VLC streamer or on other suitable player.

Cheers

I Just use the standard VLC app and choose Local Network from the menu. The Humax appears in there after a short delay then I can stream or download content.

DLNA streaming is on port 9000, if that helps. If VLC Streamer is set up for DLNA, I'm surprised it doesn't already know the port number - but the DLNA protocol doesn't need the IP address either, so maybe it's not DLNA capable.

Thanks AF123 & Blackhole.
For info, that standard VLC app has been removed from the App Store. Posts about it are on the Videolan website. No reason given. If you already have it, don't uninstall it as you will not be able to get it back.
This isn't I tried VLC Streamer.
I tried port 9000 but no luck. Will try VLC Streamer support to see if hey can fix it and post here if they can.

If you already have it, don't uninstall it as you will not be able to get it back.
Don't update the iOS either - I regretted that when I lost a WiFi scanner that Apple no longer approved of. I also regret losing the built-in Google Maps from the old iOS - the was a gap before there was a replacement app when I conceded I needed to update, but the app isn't as good as the built-in version was.

If you have backed up your iDevice to iTunes whilst VLC for iOS is present, then you can restore it via iTunes.
I have just upgraded both my iPhone and iPad devices and iOS.
In both cases I was able to restore VLC for iOS.

As you say it has disappeared from my App Store inventory, so I can't afford to lose it from my PC iTunes library.

Last edited:
True (maps was built into iOS not an app).
I think the reason people are saying that Apple deleted VLC when they updated to iOS 8 is because the update involved rebuilding the system, including reloading the apps.
When doing this from the iCloud (as oppose to iTunes) there is no longer a version of VLC for iOS present on the iCloud, so it doesn't (re)install it.

That's a real shame. Before VLC was available I used Buzz Player. The interface was a bit clunky but it did the job well and let me download content for watching on the train too. Unfortunately I don't still have it in my app library and need to pay to try it otherwise I would give it a go for you - I would imagine it still works.

nobody here Jailbreaks their idevices? I have to admit I'd probably move to android if I couldn't :-/

Last edited:
They were re-scaled (the standard scaling is to fit to width - they got even larger by clicking on them), and you could have attached them as thumbnails - but that doesn't answer the question: what point were you trying to make with them?

I went to that link out of curiosity, but it lands on a jumbled mess - hardly going to convince me that it may be worthwhile pursuing. Can you provide a link to a resource which summarises why one would want to and what it involves?

Most people who know me think it's odd that I have spent so much time effectively 'jailbreaking' the Humax but have no interest in doing the same to my 'phone : )
It already does what I need, although it could be better at making calls I suppose...

Since Humax don't actively go out their way to block you from extending the firmware it's relatively simple to reflash a custom or modified firmware onto your PVR and then install the packagemanager that allows you to add and remove small apps with relative ease.

Unfortunately apple do actively prevent this and so only some firmwares are usable, Apple will then close the signing window for previous firmwares and you will not be able to do it at all. The recent update by apple has effectively closed the loophole that was used to root the phone but the firmware signing window is still open. I expect a vulnerability will show up again soon in the recent update.

By jailbreaking your phone, you essentially gain root and can install just about any unix related tool you wish, not only that but it gives you access to Cydia, which is the iphone equivalent of the humax package manager (I believe both are based around debian apt-get?) You can then add repositories to this package manager and can pretty much do what you want to your phone. Just like with the humax, if you get stuck or mess it up you can just restore. I use it to add better notifications, weather on the lock screen, 5 icons on the dock and other eyecandy - however you can also use it to run game emulators if that's your thing, install XBMC, other servers and essentially anything Apple would rather you did not.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/escapeplan This is a condensed list with descriptions of what some of the tweaks do

Up until recently with the dodgy flash http://www.techgravy.net/check-iphone-6-mlc-tlc-nand-flash-memory/ I've always bought apple hardware because of the quality of device over android based phones - but I do like the freedom of android. This gives the best of both worlds imho

That's a real shame. Before VLC was available I used Buzz Player. The interface was a bit clunky but it did the job well and let me download content for watching on the train too. Unfortunately I don't still have it in my app library and need to pay to try it otherwise I would give it a go for you - I would imagine it still works.
Thanks AF123
I'm going
Ping to give Buzz player a go and will post results if positive.

For info for others that want an alternative to the missing VLC Player for iPhone in App Store

VLC STREAMER - I contacted Hobbyist software and their VLC Streamer will but work with Hdr Fox T2.

PLAYER XTREME HD - tried briefly but will only view correctly on iPhone 5 so useless for my 4s as part the screen was missing and then in line with the reviews, it crashed. Looks too buggy to bother with.

If others have experiences of good media player that work with iPhones, please post

Since Humax don't actively go out their way to block you from extending the firmware it's relatively simple to reflash a custom or modified firmware onto your PVR and then install the packagemanager that allows you to add and remove small apps with relative ease.
Humax made considerable cock-ups in their code, and inconveniences imposed by contractual requirements. There is therefore substantial motivation to "break in". I have far less dissatisfaction with the way my iPad/iTouch work, and insufficient motivation to go to the bother of jail breaking it - tweaking the look of the desktop "just because I can" doesn't float my boat!

Possible good news about VLC for iOS.
http://cupertinotimes.com/download-vlc-2-4-1-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-support/

I'm not sure if it's sorted properly yet but my iPad and iPhone both show updates to 2.4.1 in the App Store. However when I try to update it says that I am "trying to purchase something that isn't in the store!!"
I'm sure it will sort itself out soon.

EDIT: problem cleared about an hour later. It looks like the update was loaded onto App Store but not flagged as available until later.

Last edited:
Back