Volume control !!

Well, it certainly ain't anything to do with the HDMI cable! Care to explain how a serial digital communications interface can selectively drop out sounds?

I am not saying that it can blackhole I am just trying whatever I can to sort it out. Unfortunately the changing of 1080p to i did not sort out the problem as expected. Any ideas appreciated.

Scotty.

Well, it certainly ain't anything to do with the HDMI cable! Care to explain how a serial digital communications interface can selectively drop out sounds?

I am not saying that it can blackhole I am just trying whatever I can to sort it out. Unfortunately the changing of 1080p to i did not sort out the problem as expected. Any ideas appreciated.

Scotty.

Baffled, firstly turn up the box volume using the box remote to near max, adjusting the TV volume to suit. Now control the volume using the TV volume control only. Does this fix the problem ? If so switch to the TV tuner and listen to the TV volume, switch back to the Freesat box and trim level to roughly the same. Are the problems resolved ?

Hi Graham,

tried that everything is working fine, volume levels etc perfect but most of the time although not always when someone reaches the end of their sentence say on a news item it drops out so their is no background noise and then when they start talking again it is fine.

I stress to add none of what they are saying is lost and the drop pout may only be a second or millisecond but it seems to have been well discussed when I performed a search via Google. When I go back to Freeview to watch it does not happen and I have to confess I thought the mrs was barking until I picked up on it for myself.

No not at all, it would appear that for some audio problems including dropouts some sites recommend changing the cable.

Because he can! When you are grasping at straws, you'll try almost anything, however unlikely to positively eliminate it. Or don't you hold with that theory? 'Never' events do happen.
@ Scotty Well, those sites are talking sh1t. An intermittently faulty HDMI cable could cause intermittent complete signal drop out, but not what you describe.
Some sites (and Currys/PCWorld) will try to get you to spend obscene amounts of money on HDMI cables claiming they give a better picture. They are also talking s***. Oxygen free cables is another one.

Last edited:
Its ones and zeros. They are either there or not there, there are no half measures. And if they are there you will get the best picture/sound that you are going to get, and if they are not there you get nowt.

Yes, I agree, but if you don't know those principles, you try anything that anyone says. If you knew nothing about it, why would you suspect that HDMI can interfere with UHF on badly screened/terminated cables. It is oft said to change the HDMI cable to stop picture breakup, not because the cable is faulty and causing picture break up itself, but because it is causing UHF interference that is causing the picture break up, as you and I well know, but Scotty and others might not appreciate that fact.
And blind people have to shoot in the dark;)

Last edited:
Check with the TV maker for a possible software update. Sounds to me like a issue with how the TV handles audio on HDMI. You could try using the analogue outputs to a scart on the TV as a test. If the audio is fine on analogue would tend to confirm above.

That would certainly give us more information to go on. In my view, the symptoms indicate something to do with subtitles, audio description, or some other alternative audio stream.

As per same discussion on another forum found via Google Search this seems to be a common issue corrected by changing from 1080p to 1080i, this seems for the moment to have fixed it but still interested why this happens.
Could you provide a link or the search terms that you used? It might help save a bit of reinventing the wheel in identifying the underlying cause.

In my view, the symptoms indicate something to do with subtitles, audio description, or some other alternative audio stream.
The Audio Description on satellite works differently to freeview. Unlike freeview the broadcast Audio Description satellite track contains the audio description pre mixed with the normal sound track. This means that unlike DTT there are no AD fade flags for the box manufacturer to use or abuse. Unlike DTT there is nothing to indicate the beginning and end of an AD snipet apart from the listeners' interpretation of the audio.

That would certainly give us more information to go on. In my view, the symptoms indicate something to do with subtitles, audio description, or some other alternative audio stream.

As Luke said, on satellite the audio description track is a completely seperate track. On a HD channel with AD you have a primary track using ac3 (2.0 or 5.1) and a seperate 2.0 (stereo) mp2 audio track mixed with the normal audio plus the audio description. You have to select one or the other. Freeview elected to use aac audio as this provides the capability to mix a AD only track with the main audio, this is clearly a more efficient process as the AD track only has to carry the spoken description. You can't use this system on satellite as pretty well all the kit do not support aac decoding (Bit like 1080p25 support on the newer DVB-T2 terrestial freeview service).

Fair enough, but something of that nature seems to fit the description of the symptoms. It is rather like a smoking gun.

Guys, I hope some of you are still about to assist as it relates to volume also/ The mrs said to me when I got home today "the sound between between people talking drops out" now I know what you are thinking but yes she is right and it is hard to explain but it does drop out on every channel, interestingly whilst only on Freesat. When I change to the televisions Freeview it does not do it, I have tried all the settings on the Freesat Box but also the TV to no avail. I am going to try a new HDMI just in case the one supplied is faulty.

To explain whilst someone is talking for example a newsreader everything is fine, at the end of the sentence there is a distinct silence and then when he or she starts talking everything is back to normal with the associated background noise.

UPDATE: As per same discussion on another forum found via Google Search this seems to be a common issue corrected by changing from 1080p to 1080i, this seems for the moment to have fixed it but still interested why this happens.

Any ideas?

Scotty.
Hello. I have a Samsung television and a Polk audio sound bar. I do not want my remote to attempt to operate the TV volume because I have turned the speakers off and I am just using the polk. Whenever I use the volume up on the remote it does work the Polk but it also tries to work the volume on the television and since I have the internal speakers turned off it brings me a little message in the middle of the screen that says it's "unavailable" and I'm tired of seeing that message every time I use my volume... I have to read the message about the volume on the TV being "unavailable" over and over and over. Is there any way to program the remotes so it will continue to work the power on the television but it will not try to change the volume? Actually I know that there is a way because the RCN technician who installed the TiVo stream 4K box took the remote and punched in a bunch of numbers and codes and made it work perfectly fine, but then when RCN or TiVo did an upgrade to the stream4K box it wiped out his programming and I could not figure out how to get RCN to send someone over you had the knowledge that guy had. So I've just had to put up with seeing the little message every time I use the volume.

Back