Wake on LAN

torwood

I apologise if this has already been covered but I could not find any information about it.

I have a PC located in another room which I use for network storage, etc. I would like to be able to send a magic packet from the Hummy to waken up or shut down the PC. This way I could fire up the PC, view stored videos and shut down later.

Does the functionality to do this currently exist? If it doesn't perhaps someone is looking for a project to develop it! :)

Robert

You can set this up using the network-shares-automount package or manually from a telnet session using:

Code:
ether-wake 11:22:33:44:55:66
where 11:22:33:44:55:66 is the mac address of the remote PC.

Oops! I read it the wrong way round (wake up the Humax). My bad.

If you are using network-shares-automount to provide direct file access to the PC instead of relying on DLNA, the WoL option in there is a possibility (unless you don't want to wake up the PC every time the Humax comes on of course!).

Thanks for your help, I can see were auto mount WOL would be good for a NAS but it would be good to be able to wake up PC only when needed using the remote to launch a specific machine, also being able to shut it down in the same way would be useful also. I will have a play with this.

Robert

I got it a bit wrong, I now remember that the network-shares-automount option is a specific trigger that you can set from the Humax media menus at the actual moment you want to send a WoL. See the network-shares-automount topic HERE (click) for further details.

There is no equivalent to shut the remote device down again - what normally happens is the device is configured to go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity.

16:59 9th August Problems solved

I hope I am in the right place to raise this question.
I have successfully setup the [ModSettings] using the smb directory and the relevant NAS box directories appear in [Shares] directory.
details of [ModSettings] /smb /Films A-K

domain=msh
folder=Films A-K (4.0KiB)
host=192_168_1_152
mac=3408049E7728
password= (4.0KiB)
shareFolder=on
user=Anonymous (4.0KiB)
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Problem:
Although the Mac address has been entered as above the NAS box never sleeps since completing the Hummy setup, whereas the wake on LAN worked perfectly for my PC.
I am confused by the wording of the following paragraph.
The user must supply the MAC address of the NAS box and set wakeNow? to remove the '?' for a single wake or wakeConstantly? to remove the '?' to repeat every few second.
Initially I thought that the removal of the ? from wakeNow was to force the NAS to wake up but as the setup above failed to allow the NAS to sleep I tried with the ? removed, still never sleeping.
I confirm that the NAS 'Idle time' is correctly set.
Thanking you in anticipation of your help
Michael
Note Added 13:15 8/8/13
As I have no use for Mediatomb because I do all streaming via an HDMI network I have removed it in the hope that this might help.

Back