WAN connection not working

notsob

I have four HDR FOX T2's on my system. I am updating the hard drives from 500MB to 2TB (Seagate) and hence loading webif. Two machine are finished and working well. However the third machine now cannot see the internet (WAN) and therefore I manually loaded the package I required. All the settings on the third machine are as before I installed the new drive but no internet. Firewalls etc are off. All worked well apart from veiwed by Firefox browser I cannot see anything in the 'Diagnostics' section and there are no packages installed, or other, anywhere in the 'Package Management' section on the third machine.

I am updating the hard drives from 500MB to 2TB (Seagate) and hence loading webif.
This does not require WebIF, CF, nor anything else – there's no "hence" about it. It's irrelevant to the problem.

I have four HDR FOX T2's on my system... Two machine are finished and working well. However the third machine now cannot see the internet
What do you mean "now" – did it before? If so, what has changed? What is your means of connecting the HDR to your router? What about the fourth HDR?

I always advocate going back to basics. The CF is not relevant to establishing a network connection, and neither is the HDD.

Meanwhile, if it's accessible on the local network but doesn't have an Internet connection, there are just three possibilities:
  1. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP is set to Manual and you've manually ballsed-up the Gateway Address;

2. Configure IP is set to DHCP and the router isn't providing the correct information;

3. The router is faulty (they sometimes need a reboot, and can throw up some weird symptoms until then).

I cannot see anything in the 'Diagnostics' section and there are no packages installed, or other, anywhere in the 'Package Management' section on the third machine.
I wouldn't set any store by that. Sort out your networking and you can then install properly. You do not need working WebIF etc to sort out the networking, because if it's not actually broken on the HDR the problem lies elsewhere,

Last edited:
I re-started the router, no change. The only thing I could think of after your help was a new IP address - success. Many thanks Mr Hole

The only thing I could think of after your help was a new IP address
You never give any detail but you were told the options 3 days ago, and seemingly ignored them.
For the benefit of those who weren't privy to the private conversation:
prpr said:
You need to fix your DNS (or gateway) setting, as I said before - it's much easier. If you have another working machine, then it's just a simple matter of comparison of network settings (is it DHCP or static?). If ping 8.8.8.8 works, then it's DNS. If not, it's probably gateway (or subnet mask, or wrong/duplicate IP address).

All the settings were correct - 3 days ago, following your advice. There was only one IP '32' that I was using on my entire system acording to 'NetScan'. When I changed it to '42' everything worked. Why, I do not know. I will update my fourth machine 'Telneting' in and pinging 8.8.8.8 to make sure I have a connection. I will keep you advised. Thank you for all your help.

Check your router specs and see what its reserved ranges are.

Always safest to use DHCP, or at least use DHCP initially and then switch to static.

For the benefit of those who weren't privy to the private conversation
Since you hint at it, I'm gonna put it out there:

The OP originally started a Conversation (private) with a few notable names as the recipients, directly in contravention with the ethics of a forum as stated here (Newbies' Guide):
Private Conversations

"Conversations" is what this forum calls Private Messaging, and is rather like web-based email (although there can be multiple participants in a conversation). You can access your conversations through your control panel (click your username near the top right), and start a conversation with somebody by clicking their avatar and click "Start a Conversation".

It is not good forum etiquette to seek a personal reply to a problem through a conversation (and the reason I created this post in the first place). The forum is about sharing knowledge, and we contribute to the forum in the expectation that the knowledge becomes available to all. Also, an enquiry directed to one individual might not be within that individual's knowledge, or he might be off-line for a few days, so you would probably get a more informed answer more quickly by posting in the open forum than through a private message to somebody you don't know personally (and who will probably be irritated, as above).

Reserve conversations for discussing matters which are not ready for public consumption, and only with people you have already established a relationship with, unless you really are trying to address that person specifically.

In the event that, for some reason, you have been unable to understand and follow the instructions (above) for posting in an existing topic or starting a new topic, but are nonetheless somehow able to start a Conversation, please ask for instruction on posting on the forum rather than asking the question you intend to post on the forum!
(that is just an excerpt, click through)

Personally, I refuse to engage with unsolicited enquiries posted behind the scenes, but they do happen and it was their frequency which stimulated me to write the Newbies' Guide in the first place. If you want help but are not willing to discuss your problem openly, then tough. And if you want to be cagey about information, then double tough. It's not as if revealing IP addresses on your home network is a security risk!

Last edited:
Back