Web interface: incomplete view

digitl

I have had the latest customised firmware installed since it was released and all has worked with minimal hangs. However, today, when I browse to the box at 192.168.178.120 I get the banner across the top of the page which usually holds the various links and the disk free/used space icon but which is blank other than for the disk space icon, the Freeview logo and 'Humax Fox T2 HDR'. The address bar shows 192.168.178.120 and changes to http://192.168.178.120/diag/dspace/index.jim when I click on the disk free/used icon.

I've reinstalled the customised firmware and have used Putty to run fixweb but neither has solved the problem.

Has anyone any idea on how I can regain access to the web interface without losing my recordings?

The first thing to note is that your recordings are not in any greater danger unless you format your HDD.

Probably the first thing to do is check the consistency of the file system. See Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click), noting that you won't need to do the initial steps of setting up CF, so dive in at Step 3.

Yes, and then doing this from a command prompt might tell us more:
Code:
humax# cat /tmp/webif-error.log

Thanks for the replies.

The box was due to record several programmes and so, as a quick check, and before I did anything else, I tried humax# cat /tmp/webif-error.log but there was no output.

Late, I ran fixdisk and a whole lot of blocks were rewritten. I then used humax# cat /tmp/webif-error.log and got the following:

humax# cat /tmp/webif-error.log
/mod/webif/lib/settings.class:109: Error: no such table: settings
in procedure 'header' called at file "/mod/webif/html/index.jim", line 8
at file "/mod/webif/lib/setup", line 96
at file "/mod/webif/html/lib/header.jim", line 44
at file "/mod/webif/html/lib/topbar.jim", line 35
in procedure '<reference.<setting>.00000000000000000002>' called at file "/mod/webif/include/toolbar.jim", line 5
in procedure 'settings notoolbar' called at file "/mod/lib/jim/oo.tcl", line 52
at file "/mod/lib/jim/oo.tcl", line 73
in procedure '<reference.<setting>.00000000000000000002>' called at file "/mod/webif/lib/settings.class", line 187
in procedure 'settings _nval_setting' called at file "/mod/lib/jim/oo.tcl", line 52
at file "/mod/webif/lib/settings.class", line 109
in procedure 'header' called at file "/mod/webif/html/diag/dspace/index.jim", line 9
in procedure '<reference.<setting>.00000000000000000000>' called at file "/mod/webif/include/toolbar.jim", line 5
in procedure '<reference.<setting>.00000000000000000000>' called at file "/mod/webif/lib/settings.class", line 187
in procedure 'settings _nval_setting' called at file "/mod/lib/jim/oo.tcl", line 52
in procedure 'header' called at file "/mod/webif/html/index.jim", line 8
in procedure '<reference.<setting>.00000000000000000002>' called at file "/mod/webif/include/toolbar.jim", line 5
in procedure '<reference.<setting>.00000000000000000002>' called at file "/mod/webif/lib/settings.class", line 187
humax#

The webif display remained the same so I reinstalled the customised firmware but, again, nothing changed.

What else can I do now? The response to humax# cat /tmp/webif-error.log means nothing to me!

Reinstalling the CF will achieve nothing, all this does is re-write the contents of the Flash storage when clearly the problems are within the files stored on HDD.

There is no certainty the file system is now fixed unless you repeat the fixdisk and that results in no problems found. Once the disk is OK (and it is possible it may never recover and a new one is needed), you need to purge the package files and reinstall those (unless you would prefer to poke about trying to fix things piecemeal).

Once you are as happy with the state of the file system as you can be, access the Telnet menu and select the RMA option. This will remove the custom elements from the HDD. Then access the Telnet menu again and remove the RMA flag. Now you will be in a suitable state to get the installation page when you access the WebIF, and you can start again.

Once you are as happy with the state of the file system as you can be, access the Telnet menu and select the RMA option. This will remove the custom elements from the HDD. Then access the Telnet menu again and remove the RMA flag
If all you want to do is reset, then you should use the Reset option rather than RMA...

I thought maybe that is the case, but I can't find any documentation on exactly what the different Telnet menu options do. Is there any? If not, it's high time there was.

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Diagnostic_Utilities probably needs expanding, or a new page on the telnet menu creating.

1523286500118.png

CFW Reset completely resets the custom firmware by removing everything that it installed on the disk and in flash and then creating a clean-slate CFW environment. That happens during the next system boot and if you connect via web interface then you get the initial setup screen again.

RMA does the same reset but then doesn't initialise anything again and is persistent (requiring you to unset the flag manually before it will re-initialise anything). RMA is supposed to be a complete blank used before installing standard firmware again, returning the unit to a standard one with no traces of the CFW remaining on the disk or in flash.

While I'm here,

Safe Mode just suppresses CFW components from starting up. It's a good way to determine whether a problem is caused by the CFW. The only custom component that gets started is a small web server presenting an option to disable safe mode again.

I presume WebIF >> Diagnostics >> CFW Reset is the same as "Reset" on the Telnet menu.
Yes, reset, rma & safe are available on the telnet menu and to the same as their counterparts in the diagnostics web interface page.

I don't think it's terribly inconsistent, particularly with the extra text alongside each option.

Code:
      /-------------------------\
      |  T E L N E T   M E N U  |
      \-------------------------/

[ Humax HDR-Fox T2 (humax) 1.03.12/3.13 ]

maint - Restart into maintenance mode.
    safe - Enable safe mode on next boot.
     rma - Enable return-to-manufacturer (RMA) mode.
   reset - Reset custom firmware environment.
 upgrade - Upgrade all installed packages.
  passwd - Remove web interface password.
  fixweb - Re-install web interface.
    stat - Show current activity.
       x - Exit and close connection.
  reboot - Reboot the Humax.
    diag - Run a diagnostic.
     cli - System command line (advanced users).

Please select option:

Screenshot 2018-04-09 20.44.42.png

Maybe not, and it would be inconvenient to type two words at the command prompt, but the explanatory text is necessarily brief and leaves doubt.

Slightly different subject: it would be handy if there was a single character synonym for the Telnet menu options, eg maint (1), safe (2).

For the record this happened to me yesterday.
I was able to connect via Telnet and FTP, RS was being updated every 10 minutes and the box was working fine (eg, able to view, record and play back).
I ran fixdisk (no problems found) and fixweb but no change. There was no webif-error.log.
I had to run reset and reinstall WebIf - fortunately I had copies of anacrontab, crontabs/root, EXTRA.css, sweeper.conf and tunefix.conf so was able to reinstate these easily.
I also duplicate my setups on two boxes so was able to reconfigure fairly easily. Overall it took an hour to sort out.
I know it has been asked before but is there a fairly straightforward way of backing up all the tweaks and package settings ?

Last edited:
Back