WEBIF 1.2.0 services have disappeared

mihaid

when I go to the services page in webif , a lot have disappeared. theu still show as installed in packages. what has happened?

only thing I remember to have changed is install this new epg film/series search.

The "not installed" ones got removed as part of the Webif 1.0.18 upgrade.

Last edited:
Reference
I expect it's something caused by the change. Reinstalling mediatomb will probably fix it. I don't use it so can't comment further.

You said "packages" implying more than one, maybe even all, which turned out to be exactly one when pressed. This is not exactly helpful.

there were others also just can't remember their names, it does not mean that there were not others. there was a long list in services reduced to only 2 now. that is what has happened.

I think prpr is saying services will only be displayed if they are installed, having said that I do have services displayed that are not installed on Web-If 1.2.0-1 e.g. :-

upload_2015-1-17_17-3-51.png

I had a list like ezra so for example betaftpd is installed on my machine but it does not show in services. surely this is a bug.

Not a bug. When did you last check for package upgrades ? betaftpd was recently updated, like a lot of other services, to include its own 'modservice.d' entry as part of an overhaul of the 'service-control' package itself. Check folder "/mod/etc/modservice.d". It should contain a file named "betaftpd". If it's not there then you either need to update or remove, then re-install betaftpd.

Last edited:
Then perhaps a warning was necessary that this would happen so people should not update if they did not want updating their packages. I've had stuff which misbehaved when updated so I would have loved a warning.

That's correct. When something works I leave it as it is. I have had new versions in the past which didn't work properly so that suits me.

It sounds that this behaviour was expected so why not the warning?

Then perhaps a warning was necessary that this would happen so people should not update if they did not want updating their packages. I've had stuff which misbehaved when updated so I would have loved a warning.
The ONLY changes to the packages concerned are to make the Services page work with the new Webif. There is no change to anything else in the packages.
Just update them and be done.
No warnings are given for anything else, why should they be for this? It's not even necessary, as I've just said.

That's correct. When something works I leave it as it is.
It's obviously not working to your satisfaction at the moment, so why don't you do something about it?
You're beginning to look like one of those refuseniks who just likes to complain.

I suppose it's because when af123 provides an upgrade it's for a good reason and so would expect users to upgrade. The fact that betaftpd wasn't actually listed on the services page hardly warranted a warning. However, if the change to the services package caused betaftpd to no longer work at all then that would be an entirely different matter.

Some one like me who does not know the intricate workings had a webif that worked. When the new webif came I couldn't access services which AFAIK I still had but couldn't turn on. Would you call that they're not working? How was I to guess what happened? Also I did not say I'm never updating, just sometimes.

That's correct. When something works I leave it as it is.
If you follow that argument to its logical conclusion then you should never have installed the custom firmware in the first place. The developers provide updates for good reason. It's not their problem if you choose to ignore them, or be selective about which ones to install. You were given the fix to your particular problem shortly after you asked. What more do you want ? This whole project is provided, and supported by a very small but dedicated team of enthusiasts. Don't expect commercially supported perfection. Minor hiccups like this do sometimes happen, but don't expect apologies from the devs when they do. Just be thankful for what they have spent their time to give you free gratis instead of complaining about trivialities.

Last edited:
That s me told. I was just attracting af attention to users like me who may be numerous I'd say at least 50% who would have been foxed. All I said was that since this behaviour was expected it would have been sufficient to mention it in release notes or some warning like update to latest rs. I do appreciate af work and thanked him several times. Since auto update hasn't been implemented mandatorily I presume that's OK not to have everything latest version.

Back