WebIF - can it be accessed from the WAN?

I'll be giving up in about a glass and a half of red's time ;)

Could you please run the following commands for me on the box and let me know the output. I don't think that this is where the problem lies, but you never know.
Code:
ls -al /mod/.ssh
ls -al /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
cat /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys

Then, telnet into the box (use PuTTY, just tick the telnet option) and run the following commands
Code:
/mod/etc/init.d/S88dropbear stop
/mod/sbin/dropbear -E -F

Im a little conf. there!

How can I run the commands without telnet?

Could you please run the following commands for me on the box and let me know the output. I don't think that this is where the problem lies, but you never know.
Code:
ls -al /mod/.ssh
ls -al /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
cat /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys

Result:

humax# ls -al /mod/.ssh
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jan 29 20:07 .
drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 4096 Jan 29 20:41 ..
-rw------- 1 root root 32 Jan 29 20:58 authorized_keys
humax#
humax# ls -al /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
-rw------- 1 root root 32 Jan 29 20:58 /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
humax#
humax# cat /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
<paste your public key in here>
humax#
humax#

OK, telnet into the box and run all the commands - did I mention that I was gradually getting on the outside of a bottle of red ;)

Result:

humax# ls -al /mod/.ssh
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jan 29 20:07 .
drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 4096 Jan 29 20:41 ..
-rw------- 1 root root 32 Jan 29 20:58 authorized_keys
humax#
humax# ls -al /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
-rw------- 1 root root 32 Jan 29 20:58 /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
humax#
humax# cat /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
<paste your public key in here>
humax#
humax#

Aha - it looks like you copied "<paste your public key in here>" into your authorized keys file. That's where you were meant to paste in the information that you had copied from PuTTYgen, but I didn't explain it properly! Just load the public key into PuTTYgen, copy the text out of the window at the top then run the following
Code:
echo "**********" > /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
except that you need to replace the *s with the key that you copied from the window.

My test authorized_keys file here looks like this:
Code:
ssh-rsa AAAA...........Hj8= rsa-key-20120129

Ignore the commands about stopping dropbear and running it in the console, sort the above and let us know how you get on.

Then, telnet into the box (use PuTTY, just tick the telnet option) and run the following commands
Code:
/mod/sbin/dropbear -E -F

These commands will stop dropbear running in the background and will log debug information to the console window.
Result:

humax#
Code:
-/bin/sh: [CODE]/mod/etc/init.d/S88dropbear: not found
humax#
humax# /mod/sbin/dropbear -E -F
[31446] Jan 30 00:14:49 Not backgrounding

Result:

humax#
Code:
-/bin/sh: [CODE]/mod/etc/init.d/S88dropbear: not found
humax#
humax# /mod/sbin/dropbear -E -F
[31446] Jan 30 00:14:49 Not backgrounding

That's fine - any more ssh connection attempts will just log information onto the console window. Leave that for now.

Aha - it looks like you copied "<paste your public key in here>" into your authorized keys file. That's where you were meant to paste in the information that you had copied from PuTTYgen, but I didn't explain it properly! Just load the public key into PuTTYgen, copy the text out of the window at the top then run the following
Code:
echo "**********" > /mod/.ssh/authorized_keys
except that you need to replace the *s with the key that you copied from the window.

My test authorized_keys file here looks like this:
Code:
ssh-rsa AAAA...........Hj8= rsa-key-20120129

Ignore the commands about stopping dropbear and running it in the console, sort the above and let us know how you get on.

Did that and now I get connection refused :(

Aha - it looks like you copied "<paste your public key in here>" into your authorized keys file. That's where you were meant to paste in the information that you had copied from PuTTYgen, but I didn't explain it properly!

I thought from previous experience that the command echo was being used to echo the <paste your public key in here> to the user at a later stage.

Sorry

I'm afraid I need to sign off for the moment - early start in the morning. Maybe we can reconvene tomorrow evening.

In the meantime, it might be helpful to work back through the thread again in case you can spot any discrepancies.

I'm afraid I need to sign off for the moment - early start in the morning. Maybe we can reconvene tomorrow evening.

In the meantime, it might be helpful to work back through the thread again in case you can spot any discrepancies.

Good nite and thanks

I have had the following results when logging in as 'root' rather than 'makem'

login as: root
Authenticating with public key "humax1" from agent
Server refused public-key signature despite accepting key!
root@192.168.1.11's password:

(There may have been a short network disconnection at that time)

humax#
humax#

The above appears to me as the correct response?

Logging in as makem produces the below:

login as: makem
makem@192.168.1.11's password:

Using the 'RouterTest' (SSH) settings for putty (fwd high port number in Tunnel via 22), to login as 'root' gives:

humax#
humax#

:):):)

Back