WebIF - can it be accessed from the WAN?

I am in Malaysia.

Yesterday I made a last check before I left the UK that both Putty and WindSCP were working correctly.

Now, in Malaysia I from Putty I get an error - key refused. From WinSCP - incorrect password.

Anyone able assist please?

EDIT: Malaysia is 7 hours ahead of the UK and I have set-up the Humax for China time which is 8 hours ahead.

So, the Humax would have been shut down when I tried to access it.

My question changes to:

If the Humax is shut down and you try to access it via Putty/Tunnel and WinSCP, would you get the errors I got relating to the incorrect password?

Which surprises me as using Putty, I was aked for the password which was incorrect.

Rather confusing as I am jet lagged. Maybe best left until I check again in a few hours.

I am in Malaysia.

Yesterday I made a last check before I left the UK that both Putty and WindSCP were working correctly.

Now, in Malaysia I from Putty I get an error - key refused. From WinSCP - incorrect password.

Anyone able assist please?

EDIT: Malaysia is 7 hours ahead of the UK and I have set-up the Humax for China time which is 8 hours ahead.

So, the Humax would have been shut down when I tried to access it.

My question changes to:

If the Humax is shut down and you try to access it via Putty/Tunnel and WinSCP, would you get the errors I got relating to the incorrect password?

Which surprises me as using Putty, I was aked for the password which was incorrect.

Rather confusing as I am jet lagged. Maybe best left until I check again in a few hours.

Did you forward ports on your router?

Thanks, but as I said, everything was working before leaving the UK

Anyhow, false alarm. All working now. Must have been jet lag confusion ;)

However, connetions do seem to be a little flaky, cannot 1 minute, can next.

But I am a happy bunny.

I am using WinSCP to download files. I get disconnections and Win SCP is set to reconnect.

However, when it reconnects it waits for manual intervention to copy the file and as it already exists to select 'resume'.

I have looked for 'file exists' rules but cannot find any. I would like similar to FlashFXP which has 3 rules, 1. same size; 2. smaller; 3 bigger.

If the file is smaller the I want automatic resume. My files download to one directory, including the 'part'.

Anyone can assist to avoid spending time in the hotel and to complete file more quickly?

I am getting this error when I try to access the the Humax. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Attachments

• ssh.JPG
    ssh.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 10
It looks like your putty isn't configured to authenticate with a key and the server is configured to only allow key authentication.

It looks like your putty isn't configured to authenticate with a key and the server is configured to only allow key authentication.
Yes the server is configured to only allow key authentication. Putty is configured as shown.

Attachments

• putty.JPG
    putty.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 7
Started all again from scratch and it is all working fine now. I believe the problem was related to my firewall.

Can someone tell me how to make an account in another name to avoid logging in as 'root' please?

Can someone tell me how to make an account in another name to avoid logging in as 'root' please?

I can tell you what doesn't work, the linux useradd command, not too useful, there are existing accounts you could dabble with e.g.

Code:
humax# cat /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
sync:x:4:100:sync:/bin:/bin/sh
mail:x:8:8:mail:/var/spool/mail:/bin/sh
proxy:x:13:13:proxy:/bin:/bin/sh
www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/bin/sh
backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
operator:x:37:37:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
sshd:x:103:99:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/home:/bin/sh
settop:x:1001:1001:settop:/:/bin/sh
humax#

Dropbear uses the passwd file in /mod/etc/dropbear/ and not the main /etc/passwd file.

Not logging in as root is usually good practice, but since everything on the Humax is owned by and run by root and most of the filesystem is read-only, what benefit are you expecting from not logging in as root? If you just want to change the username, modify the /mod/etc/dropbear/passwd and /mod/etc/dropbear/shadow files (through the web interface file editor is the easiest way)

Dropbear uses the passwd file in /mod/etc/dropbear/ and not the main /etc/passwd file.

Not logging in as root is usually good practice, but since everything on the Humax is owned by and run by root and most of the filesystem is read-only, what benefit are you expecting from not logging in as root? If you just want to change the username, modify the /mod/etc/dropbear/passwd and /mod/etc/dropbear/shadow files (through the web interface file editor is the easiest way)

I understood it was good practice but as you point out, it does not appear necessary for my usage. Thank you.

I found a telnet command to remove password which worked.

I'm now trying to understand how to get bitstream audio instead of pcm so I can get DD 5.1!?
Incidentally how do you know when a programme is in 5.1? I've not seen any progs for a long time.
Is there a guide to the info symbols?

Incidentally how do you know when a programme is in 5.1? I've not seen any progs for a long time.
Is there a guide to the info symbols?
Files copied to the Humax in say *.mkv format can be examined from the Webif >> Browse Media Files to display stream data e.g. :-

mkv.jpg

However recorded files in *.ts format, don't currently display this info., I'm not sure why, but it may be due to the way ffmpeg or possibly ffprobe** handles *.ts files, if you run a telnet command line e.g. :-

Code:
humax# ffmpeg -i "KAISER CHIEFS DD5_1_20110410_0147.mkv" -hide_banner
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'KAISER CHIEFS DD5_1_20110410_0147.mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : libmkv 0.6.4.1
  Duration: 00:04:19.48, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 8579 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1440x1080 [SAR 4:3 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 180k tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s (default)

You get the Media Details info., but if you run the same line on a *.ts file you get a lot of unwanted output e.g. :-

Code:
[h264 @ 0x448900] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0x448900] non-existing PPS 0 referenced
[h264 @ 0x448900] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0x448900] decode_slice_header error

[AT THE END OF THE FILE IS THE REQUIRED INFO.]

Input #0, mpegts, from 'KAISER CHIEFS DD5_1_20110410_0147.ts':
  Duration: 00:04:19.81, start: 22892.639744, bitrate: 11571 kb/s
  Program 17472
    Metadata:
      service_name    : BBC HD
      service_provider: BBC
    Stream #0:0[0x65]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1440x1080 [SAR 4:3 DAR 16:9], 25 fps, 50 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x66](eng): Audio: aac_latm (LC) ([17][0][0][0] / 0x0011), 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp
    Stream #0:2[0x6a](eng): Audio: aac_latm (HE-AACv2) ([17][0][0][0] / 0x0011), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (visual impaired)
    Stream #0:3[0x69](eng): Subtitle: dvb_subtitle ([6][0][0][0] / 0x0006)
    Stream #0:4[0x96]: Unknown: none ([5][0][0][0] / 0x0005)
    Stream #0:5[0x6e]: Unknown: none ([11][0][0][0] / 0x000B)
    Stream #0:6[0x6f]: Unknown: none ([11][0][0][0] / 0x000B)
    Stream #0:7[0x82]: Unknown: none ([11][0][0][0] / 0x000B)
  Program 17540
    Metadata:
      service_name    : BBC One HD
      service_provider: BBC
  Program 17604
    Metadata:
      service_name    : ITV1 HD
      service_provider: ITV
  Program 17664
    Metadata:
      service_name    : Channel 4 HD
      service_provider: CHANNEL FOUR

So it is possible to get the info. you are after, although I haven't managed to suppress the unwanted output yet

** Something like :- ffprobe -i "KAISER CHIEFS DD5_1_20110410_0147.mkv" -hide_banner -show_streams

Last edited:
Back