WebIF - download facility

makem

A suggestion:

The 'download', in one click sends a decrypted file to the default download folder on your pc. Would it be an advantage to be able to choose the destination folder?

eg. a folder on an external drive. Or your special folder for video on your pc rather than your general web download folder.

I think how the download happens depends on your web browser handles downloaded files - all the "download" option does is give your browser a non-HTML link which it interprets as a file it needs to download, so it goes to the default location for your browser unless the browser offers a user choice.

I use a program called Internet Download Manager. I have it configured to place certain file types into certain directories. Video in one folder, programs in another etc. It has other benefits too.

Without such a program, downloads will be sent to you default download folder with no differentiation between file types.

That's why I try to use IE9 for downloads because you get the 'Save As' option so you can choose a folder. With Firefox it just downloads to the one folder and you have to do what you want with it from there once it's downloaded (or at least that's what happens on my version).

That method does not allow copy to usb?

I installed Samba and can transfer to usb by mapping the humax.

However the file transfer slowed down Firefox, in fact is seemed to have hung until it sorted itself and started the transfer. The transfer time for 1GB was about 37 minutes (I was transferring via my wireless lappy).

Am I correct that the file is being transferred to my lappy and then back to the usb in humax? Rather like a mobile fone call in Asia to the office down the road goes via the UK.

If so, performing the transfer to usb whilst in Asia would be out of the question due to the length of time taken.

Is it not possible for the humax to perform the move/copy as it does via the remote?

Please regard my comments as suggestions rather than demands :)

Am I correct that the file is being transferred to my lappy and then back to the usb in humax?
What? Where are you asking it to go?? I presumed you were copying to the PC's USB.

If you are trying to copy local to the Humax via WebIF, you can use the copy-to-clipboard/paste-from-clipboard options (presuming we can navigate to a USB directory in the WebIF) - bearing in mind this will not decrypt the way the SUI would.

The only way you could copy to the Humax USB using the download tool is if you have it accessible to the PC file system as a network share, and then you would indeed be sending it across the network twice.

What? Where are you asking it to go?? I presumed you were copying to the PC's USB.

If you are trying to copy local to the Humax via WebIF, you can use the copy-to-clipboard/paste-from-clipboard options (presuming we can navigate to a USB directory in the WebIF) - bearing in mind this will not decrypt the way the SUI would.

The only way you could copy to the Humax USB using the download tool is if you have it accessible to the PC file system as a network share, and then you would indeed be sending it across the network twice.

I was asking it to go to an external usb drive or usb stick connected to the humax. The idea being to archive decrypted video.

Yes, using samba I can effect the transfer and decryption from my pc which is what I did.

I could find no way via WebIF of cutting to clipboard and pasting to a new folder on the useb drive/stick because I could not navigate there. Any paste takes place within 'Media'.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to avoid the to and fro by copying and decrypting from Media to usb directly from within WebIF, as the humax does.

It would then be possible for files up to 1gb (given time constraints), to ftp a Coronation Street to our house in China, maybe. My Chinese wife would be very happy and so would all female relatives lol

I could find no way via WebIF of cutting to clipboard and pasting to a new folder on the useb drive/stick because I could not navigate there. Any paste takes place within 'Media'.
Try pasting it to /media/drive1.

I see! Initiating a USB copy by SUI would decrypt in the process of course. Thought of using a Slingbox?

What you could do is this: use the WebIF to discover the DLNA URL for a recording, then telnet into the Humax (I imagine that can be done remotely) and use wget on the command line, saving the output wherever you like. If the source was originally StDef then the wget/DLNA server combination will decrypt on the fly (no further action required) and save the result to any folder accessible to the operating system - all internal to the Humax (no network traffic). I'm sure somebody will offer you the correct syntax in a moment...

Try pasting it to /media/drive1.

After cutting it to the clipboard you have a choice of pasting or new folder. If you select paste then the file is removed from the clipboard (actually it's name is removed I believe rather than the file), meaning it is back where it was. If you select new folder you are asked for a name and the folder is placed in the DIR in which you currently are. There is no option to choose any other place such as drive1.

You have a conceptual problem. Once the file name is on the clipboard (either by OPT+ copy or OPT+ cut), you can then click on /media at the top of the page and navigate to a new place. At the BOTTOM of the page is a Paste button which will deposit the file from the clipboard into the new place.

AF123 - do you think the Paste button would be more obvious if located next to the clipboard?

You have a conceptual problem. Once the file name is on the clipboard (either by OPT+ copy or OPT+ cut), you can then click on /media at the top of the page and navigate to a new place. At the BOTTOM of the page is a Paste button which will deposit the file from the clipboard into the new place.

AF123 - do you think the Paste button would be more obvious if located next to the clipboard?

The fact that you could change dir by selecting the path was lost on me. Thank you. Learning, learning, learning.

I was aware of the paste button and it's use but it does not appear to work. It's postion on the page was ok for me, just how to use it escaped me.

With a file cut to the clipboard and the path:

/media/drive1/test

I pasted into the test folder. When I checked the folder contents from the laptop it was empty. The file remained in it's original folder.

Somewhere I am not seeing the wood for the trees again :(

Thanks for the guidance.

I see! Initiating a USB copy by SUI would decrypt in the process of course. Thought of using a Slingbox?

What you could do is this: use the WebIF to discover the DLNA URL for a recording, then telnet into the Humax (I imagine that can be done remotely) and use wget on the command line, saving the output wherever you like. If the source was originally StDef then the wget/DLNA server combination will decrypt on the fly (no further action required) and save the result to any folder accessible to the operating system - all internal to the Humax (no network traffic). I'm sure somebody will offer you the correct syntax in a moment...

The cut/copy/paste is the way to go I think. Once I sort out how to paste into the folder selected.

Might not be you, might be that it doesn't work. I'll have a go...

..."pasting from clipboard, please wait"

...FTP shows a file of incrementing size being copied into my USB drive (it's going to take a while 'cos I'm copying 2.5GB)

The results are in...

I did a copy rather than a move, but the copy stopped at 2.0GB, so now I have a truncated encrypted useless copy of Springwatch Christmas Special on my external drive.

Is there a 32-bit signed integer problem?

Might not be you, might be that it doesn't work. I'll have a go...

..."pasting from clipboard, please wait"

...FTP shows a file of incrementing size being copied into my USB drive (it's going to take a while 'cos I'm copying 2.5GB)

Step by step how did you get it to paste?

1. Open WebIF
  2. Browse Media Files
  3. Navigate to the file you wish to copy/move, click OPT+ button along side, menu pops up, click "Cut to clipboard" or "Copy to clipboard" as is your wish (alternatively you could tick the box to the left and then use the buttons at the bottom)
  4. Clipboard (top right) now lists the file you INTEND to copy/move (not done it yet), you can add more files before pasting
  5. Navigate to the location you wish to move/copy to (if it is an external drive start by clicking "/Media" in the path string near the top of the page)
  6. When you are displaying the current contents of the destination folder, click the Paste button at the bottom of the page (I would prefer this to be an option attached to the clipboard pane saying "Paste in the current folder"). Only now does something actually happen, the commands have been queued so far.
  7. A pop-up status message appears "Pasting from clipboard, please wait...". A move within the same drive will be quick, any copy or a move between drives will be slow.
  8. Job done (or at least, in my case, job done incompletely).

1. Open WebIF
  2. Browse Media Files
  3. Navigate to the file you wish to copy/move, click OPT+ button along side, menu pops up, click "Cut to clipboard" or "Copy to clipboard" as is your wish (alternatively you could tick the box to the left and then use the buttons at the bottom)
  4. Clipboard (top right) now lists the file you INTEND to copy/move (not done it yet), you can add more files before pasting
  5. Navigate to the location you wish to move/copy to (if it is an external drive start by clicking "/Media" in the path string near the top of the page)
  6. When you are displaying the current contents of the destination folder, click the Paste button at the bottom of the page (I would prefer this to be an option attached to the clipboard pane saying "Paste in the current folder"). Only now does something actually happen, the commands have been queued so far.
  7. A pop-up status message appears "Pasting from clipboard, please wait...". A move within the same drive will be quick, any copy or a move between drives will be slow.
  8. Job done (or at least, in my case, job done incompletely).

That is exactly what I have been doing up to (6) and it does not work for me - step 7 never follows. The clipboard is emptied and the file remains where it is in the case of cut/paste.

I am wondering, do you have something installed which I do not? Maybe wget or some other package.

Attachments

• installed.JPG
    installed.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 5
Back