Webif site has wrong IP for DLNA server

opj1970

I have recently installed the customised firmware and am attempting functions such as Decrypt and Download via the WebIf web-portal.

I can access WebIf fine. The IP address (fixed IP) for my HUMAX is set as 192.168.1.64
When try to perform a "Download" or a "Decrypt" or just click on the name of a Media (.ts) file and see the "Media Details" window, the DNLA URL begins https://192.0.2.200:9000/web/.... etc etc

This is clearly wrong and if I proceed with the function I get a time-out due to 192.0.2.200 not responding (clearly since it doesn't exist on my LAN).

Where is WebIF getting this 192.0.2.200 IP address from and how can I change it?

(If I connect to the DLNA server from my Laptop it happily connects and streams the content, so the problem doesn't seem to be at that end).

Please assist!

192.2.200 is the IP address that the Humax uses by default until it's configured.

Are you using the Ethernet port or Wifi?
The web interface gets the IP address from the /etc/hosts file - what's in there? (You can view the file through the web interface diagnostics -> File Editor)

What's in the modinit log file (viewable under Diagnostics)? Specifically in the section which looks like this (IP addresses will be different of course!)

Code:
=== setup_hosts ==========================================
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
172.29.0.0      *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         172.29.0.254    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    Interface: [eth0]       
    IP: [172.29.0.252]

I'm using Wifi.
The hosts file has got 192.0.2.200 against the humax entry as you suspected.
The modinit log file has got a range of 192.0.2.x IP addresses scattered through it. The entry against the eth0 controller suggests an IP address for that of 192.0.2.100. The entry against the wlan0 controller suggests an IP address of 192.0.2.200 (i.e. in-line with the hosts file)
The section you refer to above shows:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.0.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
192.0.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
Interface: [wlan0]
IP: [192.0.2.200]
Just for info, I used the standard configuration menus on the TV to configure the fixed IP address for the WiFi.

Are you in a position to try DHCP and see if that gives better results?
It looks like the custom firmware hooks are being run before the network address is set - it could be a result of a delay in bringing the wireless connection up.

I can run DHCP; however it's not my preferred choice since I can't be certain of the address I'll end up with. I have a varying number of devices and don't run my Humax all the time.
What if I switch to a 'Lan' configuration, change that IP address to the fixed one I want, then reconnect the WiFi. Will the HUMAX take the LAN one on boot and put it into the hosts file?

It will always try and take the address from the active connection. I was just interested to see if DHCP works (the hosts file configuration is done later for DHCP).
It might take a tweak to the custom firmware to get this working properly for you. Anyone else out there running Wireless and can check if your box does the same?

You could fudge it with a late running startup script, but I'd rather work out if and why your box is behaving differently.

It doesn't strike me as very likely that NOBODY is using the CF with a WiFi link - I'm sure they would have reported problems.

I've just done it using DHCP and it performs as you say.
I also checked that it was bringing the hosts file in-line with the DHCP settings. I modifed it away from the settings it had (to a random setting) and on re-boot it's set it to the DHCP setting (192.168.1.8 in this case).
Therefore, looks like DHCP 'works', but fixed IP doesn't on WiFi (for me)

So - just for my understanding, it looks like, in my case, the hosts file is being set to the DCHP setting if that is what is in use, however if I have set the IP address manually, the hosts file is taking the 'default' IP address for the WiFi (i.e. setting the hosts file before reading the manual IP address setting for the WiFi adaptor).
As 'Black Hole' says, it's surprising - I surely can't be the only person running CF with fixed IP address?

So - just for my understanding, it looks like, in my case, the hosts file is being set to the DCHP setting if that is what is in use, however if I have set the IP address manually, the hosts file is taking the 'default' IP address for the WiFi (i.e. setting the hosts file before reading the manual IP address setting for the WiFi adaptor).
As 'Black Hole' says, it's surprising - I surely can't be the only person running CF with fixed IP address?

It looks like that, in your case (and maybe generally with fixed IP wireless), the Humax software is initialising the custom firmware environment before it has set the IP address on the wireless adapter. Those of us who use Ethernet don't see the problem so the events must be happening in the opposite order in that case. More research needed.

In the meantime, do you have the option of making your router assign the same IP address to the Humax every time?

In my opinion, it is better to use the Humax (and any other device for that matter) on DHCP, as it avoids address conflicts (there is a risk two devices will be allocated the same address if set manually).

Devices can still be given static addresses by fixing them in the router settings - when a device on the network boots and requests an IP address, its MAC address (unique for every device) is matched against an internal table and always assigned the same IP, and this means you manage all the IP addresses on your network from one place. You can either set IP addresses specifically, or accept whatever gets allocated dynamically and then set its expiry to "never".

I'm going to follow your advice and move to DHCP and investigate the router settings to fix my IP address by MAC code as 'blackhole' suggests. I have mostly fixed IPs in my LAN to retain drive mappings etc, but I've never investigated using DHCP to do the same thing by fixing (or never expiring) the IP by MAC. If you want me to investigate further on this for you, I'm happy to.

Thanks for your help and excellent suggestions.

I run CF with a wifi connection, using manual IP setup and have never had this problem. Well i say never because I always manually assign the Humax to 192.168.1.64 (that way I can bookmark the webif to that IP permanently) and have also set it in the router as a static IP so is always permanently assigned to the humax. Never had any problems doing it this way and prefer it over DHCP where your constantly guessing what IP has been assigned.

You've assigned it in two places then. Overkill! If you assign it in the router, you can use DHCP at the client end and still have a fixed known IP address for accessing the device.

lol might be overkill, but then i am not suffering from the above because of it. In any case I have never found DHCP to be overly reliable on some devices, even to the extent that they get assigned a different IP when a static one has been reserved for them in the router. Whether down to routers or devices requesting a specific IP's and getting them i don't know, but at least this way both of them are always singing off the same song sheet so to speak :)

Back