WebIF - stopped working

makem

Last night WebIF was fine. First time I try to use it this morning I get the error - The server at 192.168.1.10 is taking too long to respond.

The network is working and I can find no reason for WebIF to suddendly stop working.

Am I right, I must be right, that WebIF works when the box is in standby mode?

I am finding that now and again I cannot use WebIF if it is in standby. I have also noticed that I cannot use ftp then also.

Remote schedule works when in standby.

I don't think reinstalling WebIF would help as the ftp has the same problem.

Could it be that the box has an intermittant problem?

No you are wrong, webif and ftp do Not work whilst the box is in standby, they are not supposed to.

Remote scheduling links to a remote website so does not matter if the box is in standby, however it needs the box to wake up to receive scheduling information.

Could be that it was recording from standby? I think the Humax wakes up enough to run the custom code, even though the SUI is dead.

No you are wrong, webif and ftp do Not work whilst the box is in standby, they are not supposed to.

Remote scheduling links to a remote website so does not matter if the box is in standby, however it needs the box to wake up to receive scheduling information.

Now I know why I thought webif and ftp worked in standby!

The box big button is now showing a light red colour and I can ftp to it. So, it is in standby - however, unknown to me unless I turn it on, it is recording. So it is On, hence I can use webif and ftp! Confusing to someone like me who has only had his box for a week lol. I've never had a box which is on when it appears in standby.

I've never had a box which is on when it appears in standby.

There is an indication that the box is RECording on the front panel. but it is rather small

281l5c.jpg

Yes, after a few days, when I got around to close examination of the display (the last thing I was interested in), I found that.

I have to walk over to the machine, get on hands and knees with the light on, to see if it is recording!

Much better to just have a nice bright red light visible from a mile away :)

Ah well, we can't have everything and this box together with the custom software is the bees knees imo.

It's only a case of wiring a 5V LED across the power pins on a USB plug, but I find the power LEDs on my external drives are good enough indication.

The REC indicator is much easier to see in standby if the orange filter has been removed from the display.;)

Yeah thats not a bad idea but you need to increase the resistor or do you use the light instead of a room light lol

I have a usb drive in there at the moment. It has a blue light at the end. Trouble with it is that it is a bit long and might get knocked. It matches the humax blue nicely.

I will look for a short one with a power indicator. Then the annoying thing will be the dangling plastic usb socket cover. Really we need humax to put on the bliddy red light lol

I wonder what the idea behind it is. There must be a good reason for not indicating that it is actually on and not really in standby.

Yeah thats not a bad idea but you need to increase the resistor or do you use the light instead of a room light lol

It's due to the camera metering, If you expose the LED correctly you can't see the Humax at all. It's really not that bright. The LED is only drawing 0.5 mA or 0.0025 Watts. As you are probably aware the Humax used to do exactly what everyone wants e.g. red LED for recording in standby, But it was changed for some unexplainable reason

It's due to the camera metering, If you expose the LED correctly you can't see the Humax at all. It's really not that bright. The LED is only drawing 0.5 mA or 0.0025 Watts. As you are probably aware the Humax used to do exactly what everyone wants e.g. red LED for recording in standby, But it was changed for some unexplainable reason

Could the reason be related to the need to keep the standby power as low as possible? Surely though it cannot be that critical.

Would a standard 5V LED (with a built-in dropper resistor) be too bright?

An alternative would be to run a wire to the rear USB, keeping the front socket free and allowing the flap to be in place (no good to anyone using the rear USB of course, and I have drives plugged into both sockets due to laziness).

Could the reason be related to the need to keep the standby power as low as possible? Surely though it cannot be that critical.
No I don't think so, Compared to the power taken by the HDD and the video processing IC's (all of which are on) the LED power is of no consequence, Apparently Humax say it was to meet the orginal spec. and the code guys went away from the spec. when they used the Red LED for recording in standby.

I picked a high brightness LED (18000 mcd) in order to keep the current as low as possible. The USB port is good for about 500mA but there is no point in drawing more current than you need to.

Would a standard 5V LED (with a built-in dropper resistor) be too bright?

An alternative would be to run a wire to the rear USB, keeping the front socket free and allowing the flap to be in place (no good to anyone using the rear USB of course, and I have drives plugged into both sockets due to laziness).

I think a 5V LED would be too bright, a 12V LED would be better.

I suppose you could use the rear USB socket with a USB Hub (from poundland) as the LED power is negligible.

Back