WEBif Update Hung Box??

grumpyoneuk

Background: I went on holiday on 4th May 2016, returning on 19th May 2016, leaving box set with scheduled series and one-ff recordings. On return, on 19th, at 4:00 in the morning (cue for a song...) I turned tele on and the usual red button page appeared, but the Humax was frozen (no response from remote). I noticed that the screen was displaying the date of 8/5/2016 and a time somewhere around 03:00. After rebooting the box and checking recordings it was apparent that nothing after 7/5/2016 was recorded. I checked the diagnostics today and the activity log shows the following two events on 7th/8th, early morning.

1557 08/05/2016 02:14:56 - Automatically upgraded package webif from 1.3.0-3 to 1.3.0-4
1556 07/05/2016 02:13:14 - Automatically upgraded package webif-channelicons from 1.1.22-2 to 1.1.23

My query is, could either of these updates have caused the box to hang, or was there other activity over these two nights that could have had the same effect?

disable-ota & dso are installed

Firmware details:

Web interface version: 1.3.0-6
Custom firmware version: 3.02 (build 2295)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)
Loader Version: a7.30

Intermittent hangs are an unfortunate fact of life with Humax boxes and very rarely can the cause be attributed to any specific reason.

Some users have recommended putting the Humax on to a time switch to force a daily restart and minimize any loss of recordings whilst away on vacation

My main box hung at around 03:00 on Friday morning and I'm away. It's damned annoying, but I doubt it's anything to do with package updates.
It's going to get a damned good thrashing when I get home tonight!
Luckily I've pressed the spare into action.

Indeed. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt.

Any computer system can be expected to crash from time to time, it's a pity Humax didn't think to implement some kind of watchdog reset.

My main box hung at around 03:00 on Friday morning and I'm away.
It's going to get a damned good thrashing when I get home tonight!
Luckily for it, I didn't have a readily accessible tree branch.
The TV showed black and was moaning about an unsupported signal format (OWTTE). Power cycling fixed it of course, but no obvious cause that I can find.
it's a pity Humax didn't think to implement some kind of watchdog reset.
That applies to a lot of devices, which are quite happy to sit there sulking until you poke at them. :(

Back