[webif] Version 1.0.6 Released

I am not sure how others use the package management page; while the delay is a problem, combined with the workflow, it is a bigger issue.
This is how I use it (I don't like automatic updates, I like to know what is being installed).
Select the page, wait for the package list to populate, click to update the list from the internet, wait for the list to download, close the popup and wait for the package list to populate, select the updates tab and wait for the package list to populate! Now I can see and install the updates.

All in all; a few clicks and a lot of waiting.
Absolutely agree. At the moment I find it quicker to do it from the Telnet command line.
But I want the machine to do the polling rather that me having to do it, hence the previous request. When it detects something, it tells me.

Further to post #97, would it not make sense to return to 'Upgrades' instead of 'Installed' after running 'Update package list from Internet'? The reason for running Update is to check for Updates and is annoying to have to wait for 'Installed' to populate before selecting 'Upgrades' (minor niggle)

A number of other pages have a rotating "busy" indicator, but maybe that is what af123 is alluding to.
Yes, that's what the new version has, as well as disabling the tabs while it's loading. It used to be that way but a JQuery UI upgrade changed the API and I missed it.
I thought that way back, the update tab was the default (which would suit me better in any case).
-After asking for an update from the internet, there seems little point in keeping the popup open if it succeeds.
- and when it closes, defaulting to the installed tab is the least useful tab to see (I would prefer updates, others may prefer available).
I think it was and I can't remember why I changed it. The other two suggestions make lots of sense and I'll implement them.

Speaking of package management, I think it would be nice if the Web-If could tell you if there are any updates available in a manner similar to how it tells you about disk problems, decrypt failures etc.
I like that idea. I'll see if I can add something.
The twitter feed is one way of watching for new updates - I wonder if it would make sense to have that scrolling on the main screen somewhere too (with an option to turn it off, of course).

I think that the default package management tab should be "Installed", but after running "Update package list from Internet" it should then show the "Upgrades" tab.

Maybe... try webif 1.0.7-12 for now.

It still defaults to 'installed' but switches to 'upgrades' following a successful 'update package list from Internet'. That should also be faster now as I've fixed a bug in the meta information downloads. Also shows a 'loading' spinner while retrieving data.

(1.0.8 is on the way but I'm in the middle of some major automatic processing overhauls)

The twitter feed is one way of watching for new updates - I wonder if it would make sense to have that scrolling on the main screen somewhere too (with an option to turn it off, of course).
Not sure about that personally, but I guess some might like it.

Just thinking out loud... have indicators and a list of new packages (essentially a diff between the old and current list as output by "opkg list" since you last acknowledged it) and a list of updated packages (essentially the output of "opkg list-upgradable").

So if I go to the 'Service Management' page and turn off 'mongoose' the WebIF will stop working ?
If that's right why is it there, tempting me to break it?
:cool:

So if I go to the 'Service Management' page and turn off 'mongoose' the WebIF will stop working ?
If that's right why is it there, tempting me to break it?
:cool:
It should probably be removed.. it won't let you turn it off but will let you set auto start to disabled which requires command line access to fix...

Maybe... try webif 1.0.7-12 for now.

It still defaults to 'installed' but switches to 'upgrades' following a successful 'update package list from Internet'. That should also be faster now as I've fixed a bug in the meta information downloads. Also shows a 'loading' spinner while retrieving data.

(1.0.8 is on the way but I'm in the middle of some major automatic processing overhauls)
The package upgrade process is now so much faster, thanks.:)

Back