[webif] Version 1.0.8 Released

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've just published webif version 1.0.8. There aren't many new features/fixes in this version as it is mainly a rollup of things introduced in the minor updates to 1.0.7. Here are the release notes:
1.0.8 (02/02/2014)

• Properly maintain unwatched item count for folders in more places;
  • Improvements to package management screen:
    • Indication when loading data;
    • Buttons/tabs disabled while loading data;
    • Faster package list update;
    • Switch straight to upgrade tab following package update;
    • Dialogue boxes dismiss themselves when no errors are encountered;
  • Improvements to Save Stream;
  • Changes to Diagnostics -> Channels;
    • Consistent row colouring [BUGFIX];
    • Show MUX type;
    • Support/detect COM7;
    • Fix detection of PSB1, PSB3 and COM6;
  • Preserve recording timestamp when auto-decrypting;
  • Properly show current hostname in settings screen [BUGFIX];
  • Allow acknowledgement of decreased pending sector count on disk [BUGFIX];
  • Only look for the most recently created humaxtv process [BUGFIX];
  • Take channel (service) into account when checking for duplicate reservations [BUGFIX];
  • Improved hexdump routine in webif libraries;
  • Moved schedule restore/backup into library so it can be used by other packages;
  • Mobile version now fills the screen on iPhone 5(s);
  • Experimental twitter feed scroller on front page (and option to disable);
  • New option to trigger automatic processing on a specific folder (will be used in the future...).

There are two 'n's in unnecessary. It has bothered me since stripts was first announced in Twitter and elsewhere. :D

Very, very minor criticism: The Mediatomb icon and label isn't aligned with anything.

I undiscovered twitter a year ago and so will disable it, sorry! :bye:

Is there any reason why the large icons should only stretch across half my screen, rather than flow?

The twitter stream is off the bottom of my screen so it is of no annoyance, I had to go looking to find it. I realise it is limited in the number of characters per tweet, but I would find it more interesting if it said what the update was for. I don't mind whether it's on or off, but as the Humax must be doing more work to run it I shall disable.

What is more interesting is what can be done, and where else I might be able to use such tricks.

I undiscovered twitter a year ago and so will disable it, sorry!
The medium (twitter in this case) is irrelevant. Call it sliding display of last 6 custom firmware related updates if you want. It just happens to get that data from twitter which in turn generally gets its data automatically when packages are published. Twitter is a useful service that meant I didn't need to write my own and embedding it into the web interface makes the information available to anyone, regardless of whether they use twitter.

... as the Humax must be doing more work to run it I shall disable.

The extra work is all in your browser and therefore local device and not the Humax.

What is more interesting is what can be done, and where else I might be able to use such tricks.

Yes, I remain unconvinced by the current implementation and have had various thoughts about how package management and release can be improved. This is as good a place to discuss them as any for now:
  • If relevant information were embedded into each package release then the upgrades screen in the web interface could show details of the change (and fall back to the package description otherwise) - the system could publish the same to the twitter feed;
  • Similarly, if each package contained a URI which linked to the relevant thread or even relevant post on here then that could be displayed in the twitter feed and on the package upgrades page;
  • The auto-update package needs improving. One thought is to have two modes that can be configured - one that only pulls in new rollup packages (e.g. webif 1.0.8) and another that also pulls in the incremental point releases (e.g. webif 1.0.7-123). Packages which have been updated should be logged too.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect custom firmware users to keep up-to-date with this forum - the twitter feed provides another mechanism for them to see when packages are updated but doesn't tell them why or point them at any useful information about it. Most probably either never update unless they have a problem or install all updates regardless. I'm not sure that either of those is a bad approach though : )

I don't think it's reasonable to expect custom firmware users to keep up-to-date with this forum - the twitter feed provides another mechanism
You know what I think about that - unless you regard the CF as a commodity. I don't mind how users keep themselves informed, but I do think that treating it as "fit and forget" is the wrong ethos.

never update unless they have a problem
Perfectly valid: don't fix what ain't broke. That's how I manage my PC, iPad etc. If a user isn't going to keep abreast of the forum feed, this is the approach I would recommend.

install all updates regardless
Which is how I manage my Humaxes, because of being plumbed in to the development process and being sure that any problems which do arise as a result of an unexpected bug will be addressed damned quickly. Not something I can be sure of with my PC!

An example of a new-style twitter message here: https://twitter.com/HummyPkg/status/430298506969231361
I will work on adding similar display to the web interface package screen when I get time one night this week.
... and an example of the new package updates screen:

pkgupdate.png

I've uploaded version 1.0.8-1 with the updated package screen. Of course, since none of you have webif 1.0.8-1 yet, you won't see how the update looks : )
You'll only see the extra information for package updates if the package author includes it but I'll start including it for my updates.

You'll only see the extra information for package updates if the package author includes it but I'll start including it for my updates.
Is the hypertext link info. contained within a new field that is part of the CONTOL/control file?
Code:
humax# cat /mod/tmp/EZRA/tmp/screensaver-Maze_1.0.0_mipsel/CONTROL/control
Package: screensaver-Maze
Priority: optional
Section: misc
Version: 1.0.0
Architecture: mipsel
Maintainer: Ezra Pound
Depends: screensaver
Description: An alternative screensaver.
humax#

Is the hypertext link info. contained within a new field that is part of the CONTOL/control file?
Yes, the Tags field. The changes are taken from anything in square brackets at the end of the existing description field.

So you don't patch potential security exploits?
It would depend whether the operating environment allowed security exploits to get that far, and I monitor the reported threats rather than risk cocking up my PC/whatever with some update which turns out not to play nicely with other stuff installed and operational.

"Don't fix what ain't broke" applies to the whole system - in other words can only strictly apply to something which operates in isolation. For something that connects to the Internet on a regular basis, if the Internet breaks something needs fixing. Our Humaxes are a half-way house - they have a self-contained function with a degree of exposure to the network/Internet, but that exposure is restricted and tightly controlled. In that case "don't fix what ain't broke" is definitely a valid option, and I try to extend the same to the PC etc - exposure to potential threat tightly controlled.

I do update the PC, but only when I have time reserved for sorting out the mess afterwards (and if all else fails I have a rollback system installed to either instantly return to the status quo prior to the update, or to roll back to the state prior to infection). Updating iOS on my iTouch was the worst thing I have ever done (it gained none of the advertised goodies due to lack of hardware support, and gave Apple the opportunity to delete apps that it no long approved of). My iPad is still on iOS5, although it is becoming difficult to avoid updating to iOS7 and at least there is now a reasonable alternative to the iOS5 Google Maps app.

Back