[webif] Web interface

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I'm starting a new thread to use for discussions around the web interface package for the modified firmware*. What started as a proof of concept with a few dummy screens has evolved into a fairly complete interface now with the addition of the EPG and I have plans to finish the job properly over the next few weeks (hopefully with the continued help from people on here). I'm going to finish off package management so that the most common tasks can be done via the web interface, improve service management a bit, implement a more complete settings screen with options for things like email notification when defined keywords appear in the EPG....

*(the customised firmware thread is getting very long and fairly mixed up now)

I've just packaged version 0.5.1 of the web interface. Lots of changes in this one including:
  • Jquery integration for prettier and more interactive screens;
  • More icons in EPG, including channel icons;
  • Clicking on a programme name in the EPG brings up a window showing programme details;
  • Popup window shows recommended shows and allows click through to EPG search;
  • Popup window shows series id and allows click through to EPG search;
  • The scheduled recording list allows clicking on a CRID to view episode details;
  • Initial settings screen;
  • General tidy up of the backend;
  • Show model version and hostname in title bar.
As usual, just run
Code:
humax# opkg update
humax# opkg upgrade webif

0.5.2 is there now. I thought it was worth pushing out an interim update as I won't have much time to look at it for a week or so.Main changes:
  • New channel icon set;
  • New 'Browse Media List' - try the top left icon;
  • New preference to restrict the EPG list and search results to a favourites set;
  • EPG display optimisations - shaves a couple of seconds off the rendering time;
  • Backend improvements (not really visible in the interface);
  • Remove assumption that HDR internal disk is sda;
  • New SMTP Server setting - will be used later;
  • Included jim manuals.
My JQuery learning curve continues to accelerate but I had never looked at it before last week - if anyone on here knows JQuery then I'd appreciate any comments on the new browse.cgi file; I can't get it to properly re-bind the context menu after an element reload.

0.5.2 is there now. I thought it was worth pushing out an interim update as I won't have much time to look at it for a week or so.Main changes:
  • New channel icon set;
  • New 'Browse Media List' - try the top left icon;
  • New preference to restrict the EPG list and search results to a favourites set;
  • EPG display optimisations - shaves a couple of seconds off the rendering time;
  • Backend improvements (not really visible in the interface);
  • Remove assumption that HDR internal disk is sda;
  • New SMTP Server setting - will be used later;
  • Included jim manuals.
My JQuery learning curve continues to accelerate but I had never looked at it before last week - if anyone on here knows JQuery then I'd appreciate any comments on the new browse.cgi file; I can't get it to properly re-bind the context menu after an element reload.

I'm liking the new interface as the media viewer, especially the information. In the past it used to transfer the file for local viewing when clicking - I get a browse.jim file when chosing to "save link as..". Is there still an opportunity to transfer? A future enhancement?

Thanks again,

Trevor

Thanks for this - I've noticed curious behaviour when you are copying files - the web interface pop up shows the files as if you are playing them.

...I get a browse.jim file when chosing to "save link as..". Is there still an opportunity to transfer? A future enhancement?

Good idea - I'll add a download button to the details screen and Opt+ menu in the next version. In the meantime, you can point your browser at http://<your humax box>/media/ and get the old interface if you want to download anything.

Thanks for this - I've noticed curious behaviour when you are copying files - the web interface pop up shows the files as if you are playing them.

The system actually just watches to see which files the Humax is currently accessing and whether they are growing or not. A growing file is shown as a recording in progress, and any other .ts file which is being accessed is shown as being viewed. Given that, it makes sense that a file being copied shows as being watched.
It's pretty crude but I don't know how to improve on it at the moment. xyz321 has already improved on the first version which only detected one recording/playback at a time. More updates may come.

Quick update to 0.5.3 just pushed out. The only changes are:
  • Add download option to Opt+ context menu;
  • Require updated busybox package - busybox has been updated with a patch from xyz321 which fixes the df command when mounting paths with spaces in them.

Academic question: does busybox get loaded as a dependency with webif?

Yes, webif has quite a few dependencies. opkg takes care of it.

Code:
Package: webif
Priority: optional
Section: web
Version: 0.5.3
Architecture: mipsel
Maintainer: af123@hummypkg.org.uk
Depends: mongoose(>=2.11-5),jim,jim-sqlite3,jim-cgi,jim-oo,service-control,busybox(>=1.18.3-1),lsof,epg(>=1.0.2),hmt(>=1.0.4),ssmtp
Replaces: af123-webif
Conflicts: af123-webif
Description: A web interface for the Humax. In development.

Yes, webif has quite a few dependencies. opkg takes care of it.

Code:
Package: webif
Priority: optional
Section: web
Version: 0.5.3
Architecture: mipsel
Maintainer: af123@hummypkg.org.uk
Depends: mongoose(>=2.11-5),jim,jim-sqlite3,jim-cgi,jim-oo,service-control,busybox(>=1.18.3-1),lsof,epg(>=1.0.2),hmt(>=1.0.4),ssmtp
Replaces: af123-webif
Conflicts: af123-webif
Description: A web interface for the Humax. In development.

Mmmmmmm, sweet.

Download option works a treat and I also checked out the old interface through the //ip.address.of.humax/media - as you said, still an option.

Thanks again for the continuous improvements. I'm so glad I bought this box and that you guys have improved things beyond Humax's offerings. Brill....

Trevor

Great stuff af123. Couple of things I noticed about the media Recording Details popup. Size is incorrectly reported as 0 or 1MiB. Also popups are created for imported ts files which don't have sidecar files.

Thanks Raydon - xyz321 has already sent me a patch for the 0/1 file size problem, but I need to recompile jim with 64-bit support too.

Hadn't considered imported .ts files in my testing so I'll do something about that.

Cheers.

0.5.4 uploaded:
  • Pulls in updated jim with 64-bit support;
  • File sizes displayed properly;
  • Restructure the media browser backend code - much cleaner now;
  • Fix display of imported .ts files (without additional sidecar files);
  • Use ffmpeg (if installed) to show information about media files;
  • Updated service managment screen.
I didn't add the ffmpeg package as a dependency as it is fairly large (15MB) but if you add it then it will be used by the media browser to show some information about non-.ts files.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The todo list is still fairly long but I should have some real time to have a proper crack at it next week!

Had a play with this on the HD the other day, but accessing the epg data didn't work. After a bit of poking about I found the epg database is not in the default place that the epg command looks for it (in hd1). If I do epg -f /media/drive1/epgsavedata it works though, so I edited line 213 of mod/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class from
set cmd [list /mod/bin/epg] to
set cmd [list /mod/bin/epg -f /media/drive1/epgsavedata], and it now all is good :)

Was just about to post this and saw problems elsewhere with the the webif EPG function on the HD model. I will post anyway for information....................

I've been enjoying the facilities on my HD for a while now, but the EPG function of webif has never appeared to work properly.

I installed HD_FOX_T2_1.02.18_mod_1.07_telnet_upgrade.hdf as soon as it was available and have done an upgrade to webif 0.5.3.

The problem is that it does not display any results of a search of the EPG :-
- Date, Channel, Programme, Synopsis results table does not get populated.
- Content Type Searches (Genres) display OK, but when used do not display any results
- Keyword Searches display, but when used do not display any results - also the Keywords displayed have lots of trailing characters and make the web page wide!

Is this a problem with the HD model ?

It was the same with version 0.5.2, but I noticed the telnet session to upgrade to 0.5.3 showed the following with the config file :-
Configuring busybox.
Configuring webif.
Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /mod/etc/webif.db is different from the
conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /mod/etc/webif.db-opkg.
humax#

.....any ideas?

BTW I'm loving all this - keep it up. I'm just hoping Humax will provide a decrypt of recordings on the HD like the HDR in their 'forthcoming' 'official' release of the beta. Very happy to be able to 'telnet, ftp and webif' to the HD box now, with the prospect of remote access and setting via the web!!!

Back