What a long way we've come...

fenlander

I was just setting up a series-filed/recursive-auto-decrypt/auto-audio-extract folder to do the business with Neverwhere (when rs gives it the word) and it occurred to me just how far we've come since the days when Foxy first appeared. I use the word 'we' with all due acknowledgements to the people who actually worked all the magic.

BUT...the HDR-Fox is getting long in the tooth in consumer electronics terms. What's next? When our current boxes finally creak to a halt, will we find that the only replacements available are crippled, triple-locked and dumbed-down YouView style gizmos? Not much difference between that and dusting off the VCR. And even if there is a properly interesting replacement for the current generation, will it be as entertainingly hackable as the ones we have now? And will our present band of gurus have the heart and the time to start all over again?

I'm wondering if I should do a Black Hole and start buying up HDR-T2s. It's tempting, but there's a whiff of survivalism about it. I imagine BH's basement with the HDRs racked alongside the assault rifles and combat ration packs...

I'm wondering if I should do a Black Hole and start buying up HDR-T2s. It's tempting, but there's a whiff of survivalism about it. I imagine BH's basement with the HDRs racked alongside the assault rifles and combat ration packs...
There is nothing wrong with that, I have a HD-FOX T2, and 3off HDR-FOX T2's, just for recording the HD channels.:) I still use a pair of "MyStuffed" Topfield 5800's for my SD recordings, and have a spare pair of new Topfield 5800's still boxed, and ready to be brought into service when required.:)

have a spare pair of new Topfield 5800's still boxed, and ready to be brought into service when required.:)
I would wager you might never use these - DVB-T having either been replaced by DVB-T2 or decommissioned entirely.

My old Humax 8000T is still doing sterling service at a friend's place. And my Toppy is still used for radio recordings and back up recordings of live sports coverage with MyStuff plus Extend taking care of making sure nothing is missed no matter how hard the broadcasters try to screw up the EPG info (is it F1? Is is Formula 1? Is it Formula One?) and Accurate Recording signalling. That more modern boxes do not cope as well is definitely a step backwards.

This is all a bit alarmist - I've only just retired my 2001 vintage series 1 TiVo having kept it going after the demise of analogue and the official epg service. I had hoped that one of these new fangled Fox things would see me out, or at least until the collapse of modern society when we'll all go back to telling stories around the camp fire.

I have a complete quantum physics lab in my basement. The HDRs have to be kept outside the event horizon.

I have a super massive spinning black hole in mine that radiates HDRs at its event horizon. Quantum Gravity is a wonderful thing!

Black Hole

Back