What can you do with Cron daemon

E.g. the auto-filer script runs every 15min to file your recordings into nice family-friendly sub-folders :)

E.g. the auto-filer script runs every 15min to file your recordings into nice family-friendly sub-folders :)
I think that is the only function that I found for it. If there are other people doing different things please enumerate.

There are other packages that use it, but they're all doing the same thing. Running commands at times and intervals.

I'm working on a little script that will periodically run from CRON and delete the oldest recordings when you have previously set a maximum number for that series. Inspired by realising that we had 97 episodes of Octonauts on the box last week!

Series record is a little too easy to set methinks....

It's worth distinguishing between cron and anacron. anacron is particularly useful on systems which aren't on 24/7 where you have tasks you want to schedule daily/weekly/monthly but trying to pick an hour of the day when the machine will definitely be on isn't possible. cron will just miss the event if the machine is off; anacron "catches up" the next time the machine is on. Good for infrequent backups, cleanups, scans, stuff like that.

Useful, I hadn't come across that before. Might come in useful for some of the packages.

Back