What does ENC mean on my SD recording?

I think I have the opposite problem to most of the posts over the past few weeks i.e. SD recordings that have the Enc flag set, but do not appear in the d126 list. In particular, every episode of the series "The Indian Doctor" so-far broadcast on BBC 2 over the last two weeks has been so affected - 9 in total with six more to go this week. I fully anticipate that all six will show the same symptoms. If others wish to experiment for themselves, the programmes are broadcast at 15:10 each afternoon, with the last two back-to-back on Friday. I am on the Rowridge transmitter.

I know - Sod may well fail to strike just to spite me.

To pre-empt the obvious suggestion, and despite my previous experiences of this problem, I chooose not to have auto-decrypt set on the folder in which they are recorded. I get round it by manually changing the flag at 0x03dc in the hmt file from '00' to '04'.

It's auto-unprotect not auto-decrypt and there are no known drawbacks to having it installed, nor is it a per-folder setting, so I'm not quite sure what your opposition to it is.
Can you post the output of the d126 diagnostic? I'm only seeing 3 items in the list at the moment.

It's auto-unprotect not auto-decrypt and there are no known drawbacks to having it installed, nor is it a per-folder setting, so I'm not quite sure what your opposition to it is.
Can you post the output of the d126 diagnostic? I'm only seeing 3 items in the list at the moment.

You're right - of course. Sorry about my careless typing.

Put my over-caution down to fifty years of chasing bugs, which has taught me not to confuse a work-round with a fix. Where possible, I always try and leave a bug visible until I have a fix, or at least an adequate explanation. But then, perhaps at my age I have the luxury of more time to experiment than most :)

At the time of my recent posting, I too had just three entries in the d126 list - none of them "The Indian Doctor". When I re-ran the diagnostic again for you just now, I got:

Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic d126

Running: d126
BBC FOUR|The Help|2016-04-13 21:00:00
BBC TWO|Transsiberian|2016-04-15 23:05:00
BBC ONE South|City Slickers II: The Legend of...|2016-04-16 00:25:00

>>> Ending diagnostic d126

Make of that what you will.

As well as setting the hmt flag auto-unprotect also corrects the DLNA database

Yes thanks, I was aware of that. But in my set up it gets corrected by other means.

I was really just trying to focus on the specific problem of why certain programmes end up with the Enc flag set and why the d126 output appears not to correlate with what actually happens in practice. Until we - or more accurately I - understand that, I don't really know what's going on. That's why I leave the problem visible on my system at the price of a minor inconvenience.

Is anyone else willing to cancel auto-unprotect on their system and record The Indian Doctor to see whether the problem is unique to me? I'll report back on whether it happens again this afternoon.

I know - Sod may well fail to strike just to spite me.

We don't appear to have an 'egg on face' Smiley, so I'll just have to report that Sod did indeed strike. After a straight run of nine Enc-flagged recordings in the series, the tenth was clean as a whistle, with the 'Copy permitted' flag in the hmt file set correctly. I'll continue recording the rest of the series in the hope(?) that the problem returns.

Apologies for apparently wasting your time.

It recorded without "Enc" for me which is what I expected as it wasn't in my d126 list.

The double entries on your list are puzzling (to me anyway!).

It recorded without "Enc" for me which is what I expected as it wasn't in my d126 list.

Thanks for taking the trouble to check. I have no answer to the double entries either.

BTW, thanks for your regular helpful posts on the forums. Much appreciated.

Just in case anyone other than me (and you?) is intrigued by this odd behaviour on the part of d126 and the Enc flag, I can report that the three of my three machines that have identical configurations of firmware (Humax 1.03.12, CF 3.03 (build 2368), WebIF 1.2.8-16) behave differently. They all show the same seven entries:

Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic d126

Running: d126
BBC TWO|First Snow|2016-04-17 00:00:00
BBC TWO|Freestyle|2016-04-17 01:35:00
BBC FOUR|Rock Around the Clock|2016-04-17 20:00:00
BBC TWO|The Spectacular Now|2016-04-17 22:00:00

>>> Ending diagnostic d126

but two of them show every entry duplicated.

I don't trust my doctor without corroborative detail!
The aspirins took rather longer than anticipated to work, but they did eventually. The problem was fixed a couple of months ago.
It was a fault, nothing more, apparently.

Back