What have i DONE, i cant copy one file that i want to copy ?

timmy_toad

Hi chaps/ladies i have done something i cant undo ! can someone help please.
I want to Copy a Recorded TV program to an External USB Hard Drive, but the recorded file has an ICON next to it that prevents it being copied, none of the other files have this ICON, please see the attached photo that i took of my TV screen, i dont really know what more info i can give.
The external drive has sufficient capacity and is the correct format etc.

My missus is going to be livid with me "again" when i have to tell her i cant get it onto a DVD for her to send to Malta, the TV program is "The battle for Malta" showing how the island helped us win WW2

I hope someone can advise.

Tim

Attachments

• hummypic.jpg
    hummypic.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 25
Copy protection flag.. You'll have to wait for someone familiar with the Foxsat I'm afraid. On the freeview boxes, Foxy will reset that flag.

If all else fails I can grab the iPlayer stream for you.
Hi Buddy thanks for your offer, if you dont mind, i could take you up on your very kind offer, but as i understand it, you cant record iPlayer stuff, but then, if you can do it, i should be able to do it for myself LOL. but then, i dont know what i am doing.

So you would record it, somehow, and upload it to a web space somewhere, and i could download from there, ok thanks.

PS, so the icon in the photo isn't good news for me being able to access myself ?

Tim

Copy protection flag.. You'll have to wait for someone familiar with the Foxsat I'm afraid. On the freeview boxes, Foxy will reset that flag.
Hi buddy, have a Freeview FOX T2 as well, i recorded the same dammed program on that as well, in HD, but i found out afterwards it didnt have a good enough signal so it didnt record it at all !!!!!

Tim

I'm not a Foxsat user, but I know there is a customisation project similar to HDR-FOX and there may well be an easy way for you to clear the protection flag for yourself. I am grabbing the iPlayer stream as we speak (using HDR-FOX custom facilities), and will hang onto it until you have reached a dead end or succeeded.

PS just read your last post, and if you have installed the WebIF on the HDR you can do exactly what I have done: use the TV Portal iPlayer app to play the desired programme, then use the WebIF to save the last streamed content as an MP4 file.

I'm not a Foxsat user,but I know there is a customisation project similar to HDR-FOX and there may well be an easy way for you to clear the protection flag for yourself. I am grabbing the iPlayer stream as we speak (using HDR-FOX custom facilities), and will hang onto it until you have reached a dead end or succeeded.

Ok thanks, i shall probably have to ask for your file eventually. Copy Protection eh, what a dammed nuisance.

tim

Was the programme recorded in HD or SD ? If HD you get once chance to copy it, they are copy once, but it will be encrypted anyway. There's no copy limit on SD recordings and it should still play back on the Foxsat.

Was the programme recorded in HD or SD ? If HD you get once chance to copy it, they are copy once, but it will be encrypted anyway. There's no copy limit on SD recordings and it should still play back on the Foxsat.

Ah YES, it is in HD and if i only get one go at copying it, i now know what happened, because the first time i tried to copy it, i was trying to find a USB device that was Formatted correctly and with sufficient capacity, it was therefore a bit too late by the time i found out that a 2 gig memory stick didnt have enough capacity, i must have started, or it thought i had started, the COPY process once too often. DAM, DAM and DAM again !

Oh yes, and it does still play back ok :)

Tim

Ah YES, it is in HD and if i only get one go at copying it, i now know what happened, because the first time i tried to copy it, i was trying to find a USB device that was Formatted correctly and with sufficient capacity, it was therefore a bit too late by the time i found out that a 2 gig memory stick didnt have enough capacity, i must have started, or it thought i had started, the COPY process once too often. DAM, DAM and DAM again !

Oh yes, and it does still play back ok :)

Tim

Even if you were to reset the copy flag using the custom firmware you can't do anything with the recording now. There are a couple of ways of recording HD in future without encryption. Have you searched the epg for a repeat in SD.

Even if you were to reset the copy flag using the custom firmware you can't do anything with the recording now. There are a couple of ways of recording HD in future without encryption. Have you searched the epg for a repeat in SD.
thank you graham, i have figured out that i can record it again using iPlayer on my Freeview Humax using the Portal via my local Network and the custom firmware mod, i should then be able to get it onto my computer, bingo !.

Tim

thank you graham, i have figured out that i can record it again using iPlayer on my Freeview Humax using the Portal via my local Network and the custom firmware mod, i should then be able to get it onto my computer, bingo !.

Tim

Are you sure, only way I know of recording iplayer other than getiplayer on a PC is to record it from the box using a dvd recorder, a vcr or a video capture device on a PC. I have a HDR FOX T2 running the CF, if you know a way of recording using the portal please post how.

The custom firmware on the HDR box will allow you to stream the iplayer program then it will allow you to save the stream as an Mp4 file. have a llok at the wiki on the custom firmwear. I also think there is an add on that will allow you to remove the HD encryption on already recorded programs.

Installing the custom firmwear is pretty easy if you follow the excellent instructions, if you have a prop there are plenty of willing helpers here.

I have a HDR FOX T2 running the CF, if you know a way of recording using the portal please post how.

This is a subject for a different forum, but in brief if you look at the bottom of the WebIF "Browse Media Files" page you will see a "save last streamed content" button - what it does is copy the contents of the streaming buffer to a normal .mp4 file. This is one of the gems of a customised HDR-FOX - and you've been missing out all this time?

This is a subject for a different forum, but in brief if you look at the bottom of the WebIF "Browse Media Files" page you will see a "save last streamed content" button - what it does is copy the contents of the streaming buffer to a normal .mp4 file. This is one of the gems of a customised HDR-FOX - and you've been missing out all this time?

Thanks for that, but all this time is relative. The box is new :) and having 4 pvrs the number of times I use catch up is minimal (hardly ever). I will have a play though :)

Your previous remark gave me the impression you were desperate for it!

The stream is buffered at full network speed, so once the buffer ceases to grow you can save it off and then play it with proper transport control instead of the crippled iPlayer/TV Portal +/-5min skip. Ditto the HiDef version. It makes watching something you didn't know was on until too late almost as good as recording it in time, as good as a BBC-only version of YouView.

but in brief if you look at the bottom of the WebIF "Browse Media Files" page you will see a "save last streamed content" button - what it does is copy the contents of the streaming buffer to a normal .mp4 file. This is one of the gems of a customised HDR-FOX - and you've been missing out all this time?
Why can't I find this option? CF 4.09

Oh, I see. Thread in wrong forum :=(

Back