What is the difference between "decryption" & "decryption (direct, slower)"?

Oh no, so it isn't...

But it does show the reader how to look for information on any package! I am teaching a man to fish, rather than handing over a fish on a plate (complete with garnish).

But he only wanted to know about detectads (at the moment):frantic:
Having been pointed at the Wiki re detectads, no doubt that will arouse his interest in other packages and he will then learn how to fish from that:roflmao:

Perhaps it should be underlined and include "(Click Here)"?

View attachment 3635
That does assume that you have detectads installed though, and OP didn't even know about the existence of detectads.
But if it looked more like a standard link, that would possibly enhance the user experience.

However, knowing that OP hadn't installed it, I was looking in the package list to find your link. I have already 'OOpsed' :X3:the fact that I missed your pointing at the Settings screen. Apart from that, having the link available after you have installed it, doesn't help in the quest to find out whether you should install it or not.
And BH's posts and link were, unusually, about as much use as tits on a fish

Last edited:
How many times do you want me to type out the same info over and over again (maybe not in this specific case, but..)? I maintain the relevant info can be found by starting where I said.

When you've taught them to fish a few times and the info hasn't registered, it may be time for the three course fish dish! :D

How many times do you want me to type out the same info over and over again (maybe not in this specific case, but..)?
I don't. Just make the link relevant to the questioner's question.
I maintain the relevant info can be found by starting where I said.
Agree, but there is a lot of info there and it can take an awful lot of fishing to find the specific bit that you want.

Have decided will not be doing anything with Detectads until we are happy with the basics of decrypting.

As we still have several queries re the fundamentals of the decryption process:

Re decryption: is it OK to decrypt while the Humax is recording?

We are wondering as have noticed a slowing down of some processes if we have decryption queued & ongoing e.g.:
If we try to move files around using the Webif - e.g. cut&paste files from the Humax itself to an external USB drive - whilst the Webif is decrypting files, then this can take so long as to make it not effective. So we have stopped moving files around this way whilst decryption is ongoing.

So we are wondering if decryption has any other effects on the Humax that we should look out for
e.g. might it mess up the quality of a co-current recording, or even cancel (override) a scheduled recording?

Re decryption: is it OK to decrypt while the Humax is recording?
For most people yes but there is a potential for conflict, it seems to vary by machine.
If you have already decrypted the files then there will be no need for the Humax to decrypt them again when copying to USB.
If you suspect you are seeing problems then you can use the options on the settings page to control when auto processing runs and you can defer processing when recording is in progress or during peak viewing hours.

I don't make any special provision, auto-decrypt runs when it wants - but then I'm not also fiddling through the WebIF. You have to remember that everything running that is not the normal native processing is having to share whatever processing power is left over after the native processing (it is all given a lower priority for multitasking). Doing stuff through the standard user interface should be unaffected while there is decryption running in the background, but adding workload through the WebIF will create contention.

CF auto-processes are queued so that only one is active at a time.

It should be noted that detectads in chaserun mode decrypts the recording and runs ffmpeg, a high cpu usage program, whilst it is still being recorded and so puts quite a load on the machine.
I run detectads chaserun on all non BBC programs and am often recording two programmes whilst watching a third without noticeable problems. (I do only record SD channels because I cant tell the difference from HD)

Just use the detectads package. That decrypts on the fly (and removes ads).

@Trev - hi, can you 'decrypt on the fly' without removing the ads?

Only, the ad detection is really crap (in my experience) and i HATE THE PIXELATION JOIN too !!! - i'd rather wait and remove the ads myself manually using a web program that's better at joining - any ideas anyone?

Also, will it strip the ts file (same as stripts package) to remove all the unwanted crap, during/after decrypt on the fly? - apparently it's written in the WIki that it can save 20% of file space!

cheers

The purpose of detect ads is to flag (and remove if required) ad breaks. To do this, the data has to be decrypted. This can be done either after the programme finishes or 'on the fly'. Either way, the programme gets decrypted.

Which is the best or most preferred method of decrypting, out of the two mentioned?

I'm assuming if 'on the fly' it will slow the hummy to a point where the remote control functions become sluggish (similar to when i'm copying to an external usb hdd, while also browsing my archive recordings in the 'Media-Video'), which is a big frustration of mine. Wouldn't it be especially worse (or add extra strain) if the hummy has to not only record two programmes, but also decrypt them both simultaneously, while i'm searching for an archive recording to watch?

What if i use the other method and it decrypts automatically after the recording finishes, how long will the hummy be in go-slow sluggish mode?

Even perhaps, if i don't want it to auto-decrypt at that stage and maybe do it later when the hummy isn't so busy ie. not recording anything?

nb. i don't like or want to use the 'batch method' of a special time each day where the hummy wakes up at say 5 am and does everything there. Not only do i want full control over these processes myself at a time of my choosing that's flexible, but mainly my hummy is getting old and now doesn't wake up during standby, only via the switch at the back, meaning a full reboot.

Can't i simply move the recorded content to a special folder called '[decrypt]' (with no internet connection) - similar to the special folders [edit] and [dustbin] at a time that suits me? - So all i need to do is use the remote control and move it from the main Media-Video list into the decrypt folder where it will automatically decrypts (and hopefully stripts also) at a time of my choosing?

As i don't have the internet at home i'm looking for ad-hoc solutions to all my tasks.

Thanks

- as have noticed a slowing down of some processes if we have decryption queued & ongoing

- e.g. might it mess up the quality of a co-current recording, or even cancel (override) a scheduled recording?

Yes to both!

I've experienced the same as yourself for over a year now, and i'm correct in saying that others have also expressed these frustrations on this site too.

I've always had big pixilation problems (at maximum workload) on some programmes after the recording has finished, with no indication that they are there. It's not until you watch the recording that you see you've been screed by the hummy! (unintentionally of course!)

Slow down is a big problem also in my opinion!

Last edited:
It should be noted that detectads in chaserun mode decrypts the recording and runs ffmpeg, a high cpu usage program, whilst it is still being recorded and so puts quite a load on the machine.

Ahhh, so that's one possible cause for my go-slow frustration!

...can we not amp up the processing power somehow, or is this all in situ and can't be touched/upgraded?

thanks

hi, can you 'decrypt on the fly' without removing the ads?
Yes. RTFM. But I was under the impression that the slow down caused by decryption was intolerable.
Only, the ad detection is really crap (in my experience) and i HATE THE PIXELATION JOIN too !!! -
I'm afraid that I can't get that emotional about it. I just remove them to save myself a couple of presses of the jump forward button and can tolerate the 1/2 second of pixelation and sound drop out.:D It's only telly.:frantic:

Incidentally, your posts are likely to severely piss of a few people her who have devoted an awful lot of time and effort into developing the custom software to its current state. It is what it is, as is the T2. If you don't like it don't use it. Or better still, write an improved version so that we can all benefit from it.

Last edited:
can you 'decrypt on the fly' without removing the ads?
In response to requests I am currently testing a ChaseDecrypt package that will decrypt on the fly without ad detection which will have lower overheads.
It is primarily of interest to those who want to be able to view BBC programs whilst they are being recorded via a network shared disk mount.

What I don't understand is that Eric is complaining like hell about decryption making his machine run dog slow, but wants a decryption on the fly without detecting ads. Seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me.:frantic:

Back