What replacement 1TB HDD?

I have one of those installed in one on my HDR's, see my sig below and works fine. It is an Advance Format drive, as I believe most are these days.

You can format it in the HDR but you really need to make sure the sectors are aligned. If you have the Custom Firmware installed, just run the 4kalign diagnostic from the Diagnostic page.

When I checked mine it was already correctly aligned without any further action on my part. There is a thread on here somewhere if you search.

You can format it in the HDR but you really need to make sure the sectors are aligned. If you have the Custom Firmware installed, just run the 4kalign diagnostic from the Diagnostic page.

When I checked mine it was already correctly aligned without any further action on my part. There is a thread on here somewhere if you search.
I already pointed rafletcher at the Wiki page where af123 spells it all out.

Obviously in another thread I wasn't aware of at the time of my posting here! Certainly not in this thread I was responding too.

My crystal ball is in for a service.

:)

Well I had a look at the wiki page - and now I'm less clear about what to do... and to be honest the language of the wiki is a bit above my level of expertise. (On second reading I see what he's doing with the sector alignment, but I'd prefer a simpler method!)

I'm replacing a 1TB disk with another 1 TB disk, albeit a WD one. So I can presumably use the Humax FW to format it initially? I can then reinstall the CFW (Reading the wiki it seemed that the CFW was installed prior to formatting, not sure how that work.... So far so good?

Now, why would I need to get involved with partitioning the disk? Will that not be done by the Humax FW (which is the latest 1.03.06, installed with CFW when I wanted to try fix-disk - which as predicted didn't mange to fix it)?

Anyway, from what Wallace has said, I should be able to 1) Install disk 2) Format 3) Install CFW and 4) run 4kalign** from diagnostics.... and be good to go?

** I assume I enter mainteance mode, type "diag" then at the prompt type "4kalign"?

Now, why would I need to get involved with partitioning the disk?
Will that not be done by the Humax FW (which is the latest 1.03.06, installed with CFW when I wanted to try fix-disk - which as predicted didn't mange to fix it)?
Yes the Humax will format the disk by creating a partition table and file systems. Some versions of the Humax software will not align the partitions correctly for a 4KB sector size drive. The common disk to fit is a Seagate which has firmware designed to cope with misaligned partitions. I seem to recall one or two reports of performance problems from people who have fitted WD drives and not aligned the partitions.

Anyway, from what Wallace has said, I should be able to 1) Install disk 2) Format 3) Install CFW and 4) run 4kalign from diagnostics.... and be good to go?
I think you are probably right and everything will be fine but if the 4kalign diagnostic were to report the partitions as misaligned than sorting that out would be worthwhile.

Thanks Martin. I've decided to change my order to a Seagate Pipeline 1TB, so that should be a staright and simple swap :).

Oh well. One of my HDR's was a brand new 1TB from Humax that was factory fitted with the Seagate HDD. It was showing reallocated sectors within a couple of weeks.

It's just my feeling but historically the HDD's I have had most issues with have always been Seagate. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. If you search on the Internet or here, you will find that the 1TB model (with Seagate HDD) appears to be the one that has 'issues' HDD related.

This is obviously my personal opinion and I have no desire to be flamed as I am sure there are millions of satisfied Seagate users out there. I am not one. My Western Digital work very well for me.

Best of luck!

Well I had a look at the wiki page...
I originally referred you to the Wiki for tips on what drive to choose. The main reason for the jiggery-pokery is to prepare a disk which is too large for the standard Humax utilities to cope with, so as long as the Humax format operation doesn't refuse at the first hurdle you should be OK. On the other hand, it might.

I assume I enter mainteance mode, type "diag" then at the prompt type "4kalign"?
Maintenance mode not required (you probably didn't mean that - maintenance mode specifically kills all other operations so that disk analysis or other processor intensive operations can run without interruption), you can run the 4kalign diagnostic from the normal Telnet menu or from the WebIF Diagnostics page.

Only have to worry about disk partitioning if you're installing a disk larger than 1tb as the hummy wont cope with anything bigger.

Posted on the move

Only have to worry about disk partitioning if you're installing a disk larger than 1tb as the hummy wont cope with anything bigger.
You also need to consider it if you are replacing a 512B sector size drive with a 4KB sector size drive and using a firmware version that doesn't automatically create 4KB aligned partitions.

In the three HDR's I own, they have been Seagate. I have to say, and I have said this before, I don't like Seagate drives. I have had them fail in my PC. A 'recently' purchased 1TB HDR started to show increasing reallocated sectors early in it's life.

So that review doesn't come as a great surprise to me.

I now use WD drives and not had any issues.

Back