What to do with a Cast-Off Sky+HD Box?

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I "found" one yesterday, in as much as it had been informally dumped and I made off with it figuring it might at least have a hard drive I can salvage.

But it looks in pretty good nick. The seal is intact, the shell is undamaged, and it doesn't look like it has got wet.

Anybody want it whole? Otherwise I'll see what parts I can extract.

I "found" one yesterday, in as much as it had been informally dumped and I made off with it figuring it might at least have a hard drive I can salvage.
Stealing by finding!
Seems to be a lot more fly-tipping at the moment. I'm sure I saw a bit of an old computer (maybe only the case) dumped for the local tinkers to collect. As I had both hands and a backpack full of shopping I didn't investigate.

I think that you will find the 'owners' of the local county tip would argue otherwise if you try to 'liberate' stuff dumped by others.

I think that you will find the 'owners' of the local county tip would argue otherwise if you try to 'liberate' stuff dumped by others.
Agreed, but that's not the same as discarding.

Are we really at odds over this or is it just banter? I can't tell. Yes, if I accidentally drop a tenner and somebody who finds it makes no attempt to return it to its rightful owner, that's theft. If, however, I place unwanted items in such a manner to give the appearance they are unwanted and free for the taking, that's not theft.

In that case, banter. on quadrants, banter it aint. Perhaps I should be more liberal with my :roflmao: :D;)s
And in SNR, I'm on your side.

Not the case when something has been deliberately discarded
It would be up to you to prove that it had been deliberately discarded. Did you attempt to find the owner and ask whether it had been dumped? It's unlikely anyone would challenge you, but with some police forces services unsure of their powers PC Plod could have wanted to know what you were doing carting a Sky box about. And was your journey really necessary...
I place unwanted items in such a manner to give the appearance they are unwanted and free for the taking, that's not theft.
But you would place a label on the item making it clear - in the manner people leaving excess fruit and veg on the side of the road do, wouldn't you? :)
think somebody else might be exactly the opposite!
Not really. The impracticallity of finding the owner of some items, even a tenner, is such that I think finders keepers should apply. Imagine taking a tenner down to the cop shop and waiting for someone not to claim it. Now if it was a wallet with a name and address or debit/credit card in it there is some realistic prospect of returning it to the rightful owner.
The comment was banter because you were so blatent at announcing your "find".

Not really. The impracticallity of finding the owner of some items, even a tenner, is such that I think finders keepers should apply. Imagine taking a tenner down to the cop shop and waiting for someone not to claim it. Now if it was a wallet with a name and address or debit/credit card in it there is some realistic prospect of returning it to the rightful owner.
:thumbsup:
...but apparently a reply to something that was otherwise intended.

Seems to be a lot more fly-tipping at the moment.
As our tip is closed for the duration I'm not surprised.

My neighbour and I replaced our boundary fence last week (planned for ages and panels delivered about the time of the lockdown). Can't get rid of the old wood of course.

So last night he had a bonfire. (I think he probably enjoyed it actually ... Man - fire ... You know how it is :) )

Notts Fire are getting a bit p'd off by not being informed of controlled burns.
What? I've never heard of any such requirement. They can get as p'd off as they like. What's it got to do with them anyway? They don't own all fire.
In any case, how do they propose one would inform them?

I can understand there might be a problem if the public report a fire and the services turn out to find it's a managed fire.

That's ridiculous, what's next contacting the local hospital to inform them you are making a car journey which could lead to an accident

That's ridiculous, what's next contacting the local hospital to inform them you are making a car journey which could lead to an accident
...which is obviously not the same thing at all. An ambulance wouldn't be called unless you had an accident, and if you have an accident you might need one. Driving without having an accident is doing so under managed conditions.

The problem with fire is it creates smoke, an the public are likely to phone in a sighting of smoke whether the fire is managed or unmanaged. If the services are aware of planned managed burning, they can take appropriate action instead of the knee-jerk response of sending out a tender.

Back