What To Do with a Dead or Unwanted HDR-FOX, HD-FOX, or DTR-T1000/1010

either way you have a dead box.
Not quite true: if the problem can be isolated to the front panel assembly, there are spares available. The only part which condemns a HDR-FOX is its main board (until such time as I figure out how to repair those... don't hold your breath).

Hi All
I have a dead HDR-FOX-T2 that I'm happy to post to anyone that wants it.
By dead, I mean that there is no sign of life at all when switched on. The power supply seems to have the right voltages.
Either the motherboard has gone, or part of the power supply, though I think that that is most likely OK.

I bought another one with a faulty disk from eBay, and have made one working one from the two by swapping the disk (and the front panel, as mine was better cosmetically).

So what's on offer here is:
Case, working front panel, working power supply (I think).
No disk, non-working motherboard.

Incidentally, I've discovered that a Raspberry Pi, together with their TV Hat, works well as a DVR, and seems to record without encrypting the streams. I've not tested it much. This may be a way forward for some. I was up and running for < £20 or thereabouts.

All the best
Steve

seems to record without encrypting the streams
It would - you have to go to some effort to encrypt them, because they're not encrypted in transmission. What you don't get is scheduling through the broadcast EPG (except by unlicensed use of the Huffman compression tables), you're reliant on a web service to provide ripped data.

Hi all. I have a DTR-T1000 (YouView) that starts up then goes dead soon after. Free to a good home. I'll be keeping the drive, but the rest is anyone's who wants it. Any takers? Cheers.

I posted back in November 2019 (14th) that I had a suspected 'dead' HDR-FOX T2. Well, it's still occupying space in the spare room as I haven't got the equipment or had the inclination to investigate it further, so, if anyone is interested in it for spares, please let me know. I don't want anything for it but would appreciate anyone who's interested paying for the postage (or you could collect it from me - I'm just off Junction 11 of the M42/A42).

Hopefully I have solved the problem of repeated reboots on my HDR Fox T2 every 3-4 seconds, for me at least. However my fix is not for the faint hearted as it involves the use of a hot air gun on the motherboard following its removal from the chassis and some soldering for the extra cooling fan!!!
During my previous attempts at repair I noticed that the System on a Chip (SOC) or CPU runs very hot when the system is on so I thought I would investigate further with an eyeglass to look for any broken cct links or solid state capacitors that may have broken due to cct board expansion when it became hot. Didn't find anything obviously wrong on the top or bottom of the motherboard. So next I thought I would try a fix I found that worked on my Yamaha RX-V673 AV Receiver which had no audio output and that involved re-flowing the solder connections to a surface mounted IC. In this instance though the heatsink on the SOC meant that I couldn't get access via the top of the board so I inverted the board and made sure that the board was fully supported by the SOC heatsink and was stable in this position by placing a couple of books on the board away from the SOC area. I then used a hot air gun set to 590 degrees C (very hot indeed) and heated the motherboard around the area of the SOC from about 20mm above with a narrow nozzle for about 10 seconds then removed the heat. At this point DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE THE MOTHERBOARD as components including the SOC and capacitors etc. will have molten solder and will not be fixed in position. Leave the board for about 20 minutes for everything to cool to room temperature then reassemble the Fox-T2 and check it to see if the fault has been fixed, in my case it had and has been reliable since. As a precaution I have added an extra heatsink on top of the SOC heatsink and an extra 50mm 12vdc fan mounted on the chassis in front of the motherboard to blow air onto the SOC enhanced heatsink to keep the SOC cooler. I have removed the "Common Interface" blanking plug to improve the airflow through the unit now that the extra fan is fitted. Power for the extra fan has been taken from the +5vdc switched supply to the HDD (the RED lead). It could be taken from the +12vdc switched supply to the HDD making the fan run at full speed but also noisy.
Well the hdr-fox t2 failed again but on replay this time, the picture started to freeze but the sound continued. It got progressively worse and eventually the unit would not switch on, totally dead, no front panel display or lights. Did a few checks and found that the PSU board was providing the correct outputs but that the 5v rail on the main board was at 0v. This 5v is normally on the Red lead to the HDD, JP4 on the main board, and I believe is switched on/off by the SOIC with the heatsink.
Anyway I repeated the heating operation on the SOIC again and hey presto a working HDR Fox T2. Hopefully it will last at least another couple of years but I must ensure that I download my recordings more regularly in future.

@BucksLad Tried to DM but I think you have it turned off.

If you have no other takers I could use it for spares - but it would need to be posted as I am in Devon.
As long as someone is at home I believe Hermes will collect - or it can be dropped off at lots of stores/places.
I would be happy to cover the cost.

I've an old HDR Fox T2: Pre-RE; aerial in/out sockets arranged horizontally? that's on it's way to wee-waste...it's been retired (as operation became glitchy, hard drive removed and repurposed). Free to a good home if anyone can use the spares, just pay the postage...

I've an old HDR Fox T2: Pre-RE; aerial in/out sockets arranged horizontally? that's on it's way to wee-waste...it's been retired (as operation became glitchy, hard drive removed and repurposed). Free to a good home if anyone can use the spares, just pay the postage...
Definitely. Will PM

I have bought an Aura to replace the flaky HDR Fox T2 whose flakiness is described here, because the faff of getting it to turn on is worse than the worry of not being able to export recordings. I'm trusting that the Aura will be able to do that, but even if it can't, it has compensations. Anyway, here's the state of the HDR Fox T2. Ideally there'll be one of you within reach of Birmingham that can take it off my hands. If so, message me: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/repair-or-replacement-advice-sought.10588/

I have bought an Aura to replace the flaky HDR Fox T2 whose flakiness is described here, because the faff of getting it to turn on is worse than the worry of not being able to export recordings. I'm trusting that the Aura will be able to do that.
The Aura can definitely export recordings; the only limitation is that HD recordings have to be transcoded to a lower resolution before they can be exported.

I have a potentially repairable HDR-FOX-T2 that someone might want. Hopefully, you can rescue a recording of my daughter for me if that’s possible?

It got stuck in the restart loop when turned on. I tried the system flush via USB and disconnecting the hard drive but still no joy.

I’ve since bought a replacement one off ebay and reinstalled all the CF but seems a shame to let it go to waste

It got stuck in the restart loop when turned on. I tried... disconnecting the hard drive but still no joy.
That doesn't sound good.

We can probably help you recover recordings from the HDD yourself (start a new thread, or see below), or if you want to send the HDD to me I'll do it, or I can take the whole thing for spares and recover the HDD – your choice.

This post might help: Rescuing Recordings from a Dead HDR-FOX

That doesn't sound good.

We can probably help you recover recordings from the HDD yourself (start a new thread, or see below), or if you want to send the HDD to me I'll do it, or I can take the whole thing for spares and recover the HDD – your choice.

This post might help: Rescuing Recordings from a Dead HDR-FOX
I think doing it myself is one step too far for my (lack of) talents.
Be happy to send it your way if that’s ok?

I have three HDR FOX-T2s with the horizontal tuners. The hard drives are of varying age and condition but I have been able to do a fresh install of the custom software on all three, all the tuners appear to be working. Free to a good home, appreciate a contribution for p&p. Collection by arrangement from Peterborough.

Back